3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Education Requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Education Requested

I have had the upgraded Quad Race box on for over a month now - VERY happy with the changes, but still had a slight bit of clatter/pinging noise under throttle, especially going uphill. Removed the Rokktech sensor, no change, so I figured it was injector clatter from the higher pressure (no codes, though). Re-installed the Rokktech, and about a week ago got a great deal on a Brute Force intake w/ the new Dry Flow filter. Since I have replaced my BHAF setup with the Brute Force, the clatter has all but disappeared entirely, even pulling hills. So here's the education request part - how (or can) increased air intake reduce the clatter? Assuming that the clatter was from fuel pressure, and maybe somewhat from timing, what compensation could the increased air flow cause in fuel or timing that would reduce it? The Cummins is quieter now than it was when new (47K mi now), and am paranoid enough to anticipate something being about to break. Since this is my first diesel, I'm at a loss to understand this - anyone patient enough to explain, or am I imagining things? BTW, the perceived noise reduction isn't due to increased intake noise (turbo whistle) - I was intimate with that clatter, and it just isn't there now...... TIA
Scott
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM

not sure about trucks but if you are getting a clattering or pinging with one air setup.......and then change and are not then i would suspect you were running a little lean before and hence the pre-detonaton or pinging/clattering sound. That is with gas engine though and I am not sure at all if it applies to diesel engines....

So I am hoping someone can edumicate bof uv us!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Diesels run on detonation. There's no such thing as to much air in a diesel. To much and you burn all of your fuel and have lower EGT's, to little and you get high egt's and lots of black smoke.

As far as why changing your intake cleared up your clatter, I have no freaking clue.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:25 PM

so i learned something.....but here I was told that BLUE knew it all and could enlighten us uninformed heathens....LOL.

Thanks...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

That's a good one.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=JIMCTD] I was intimate with that clatter, and it just isn't there now...... TIA[QUOTE]

now that statement worries me

I too have this noise. I've had my tone ring advanced, and stock and it will only make the noise when the box is on 60 (or higher, but only keep it on 60) When I'm on 60 it'll make a clatter and when I turn it off it'll quiet down (you can hear it but not loud) Now when the tone ring is stock there is almost no noise (box off), however when the tone ring is advanced a bit (box off) it makes the noise very faintly. I love the way it drives when the tone ring is advanced, seemed a bit peppier, and gas like rev's, etc. I'm going to drive home tonight and see what it does, but if not I'm gonna advance the wheel again and call it to heck with the noise. I wish mine would go away, I sure ain't being intimate with me