General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Propane/hydrogen injection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane/hydrogen injection?

Has anyone out there added a propane injector to their Cummins? If so, how well did it work? Ever consider a hydrogen boost/supplement using the same apparatus? I would imagine a rather large icrease in fuel mileage. Considering how much fuel is going up riight now, I'm looking for alternatives that are safe, as well as efficient. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Propane is a good option for steady hwy cruising with a light load or empty. it can make your fuel stops a lot farther apart.

That said, propane costs money, and there's no free lunch. By the time you spend $750 for a very-high-quality MSD Digital Propane system, and THEN buy the propane, you'd be lucky to ever break even in terms of cost and fuel savings.

Propane is best for mildly setup trucks. If you have huge injectors and radical timing, it's not much more helpful. Unless you want to detonate a headgasket-- propane is great for that with too much timing!

jlh
Old 09-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Propane is a good option for steady hwy cruising with a light load or empty. it can make your fuel stops a lot farther apart.

That said, propane costs money, and there's no free lunch. By the time you spend $750 for a very-high-quality MSD Digital Propane system, and THEN buy the propane, you'd be lucky to ever break even in terms of cost and fuel savings.

Propane is best for mildly setup trucks. If you have huge injectors and radical timing, it's not much more helpful. Unless you want to detonate a headgasket-- propane is great for that with too much timing!

jlh

What they don't tell you is that after you spend the $$ on the system you still have to buy the very $$$ tank. No; your regular run of the mill BBQ/RV tank is not an acceptable apparatus for this use. You need a vaporized petro tank rathaer than an LPG tank.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
What they don't tell you is that after you spend the $$ on the system you still have to buy the very $$$ tank. No; your regular run of the mill BBQ/RV tank is not an acceptable apparatus for this use. You need a vaporized petro tank rathaer than an LPG tank.
Ya sure about that? The few guys i know running 'pane use forklift bottles. I got my last one for $50, filled.

(And you catch the home Depot guy away from their fork... )
Old 09-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The fork lift tanks are the correct style tank for propane injection or propane powered vehicles.....they are not the same as the BBQ LPG style tanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the legality of it as far as DOT is concerned, but using 1 BBQ tank with an OPD valve doesn't put out much vapor unless it's a hot day. When the temps are in the 60's to 70's you only get about a 30 hp shot until the tank starts cooling off from use, then output starts going down. The OPD hose fittings are also too restrictive to use. 2 paralleled BBQ tanks with unrestricted hose fittings work much better.

Liquid systems are much more consistant in delivery that vapor systems.

The down side of a fork lift tank is size. It only holds 7 gals. Not enough for use on the highway.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM

They make bolt on hydrogen cells for over the road trucks.... maybe look into those?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen a hydrogen injection sytem installed on a CTD before. It required 20 amps of juice to deliver enough hydrogen from water to make any difference in diesel fuel milage. The milage got eaten up by the extra power needed to run the alternator.