General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Problems with 6.0 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 08:30 PM
TDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Problems with 6.0 Powerstroke

I agree I think it is a shame for people to go through what the Ford guys are going through. I am one of the lucky ones because Ford bought mine badck and I did not loose any money just time. I think it is more of a shame that Ford put out a product with so many problems and I believe they knew of the problems but chose to release the truck any way. You can't tell me that they did not because it is too wide spread. Any manufacture can have problems or produce a lemon now and then but when they produce so many at one time I think someone knew. My dealer at first would tell me we don't have a fix for this problem yet or that problem yet just drive it they are aware of it. If they are aware of it then fix it or don't sell it.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I present..... THE DARK SIDE!....<br>http://www.thedieselstop.com/?<br>and...<br>http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/in...b19c47f925982a<br>and...<br>http://www.fordtruckworld.com/forums/<br>Thedieselstop is probably the better of the three... much like the tdr...
Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 PM

Two, recently I read a couple of posts by a guy who claimed to work on the 6.0 line at International. He wrote that while there are problems with the design and testing of the engine, morale is extremely low among labor, and a lot of mistakes are being made at assembly. He wrote that his factory has over a thousand engines that have failed the post-assembly tests sitting on pallets, and more piling up every day. He claims that International and Ford are pulling these engines apart and rebuilding them without testing them further, or doing any back-engineering. According to this guy, they're putting these engines into trucks and selling them as new. He's thinking about quitting.
<br><br>Gear Poet,<br>Is this the post you were reffering to??<br>http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...threadid=96817
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 PM

You know what, I really feel bad for the guys at that shop. I also really feel bad for all the people that have just bought a truck with one of these engines in them or have one already ordered. <br>I think I would be freaking right now if I was in that position with my truck.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

[quote author=Gear Poet link=board=8;threadid=11537;start=15#110052 date=1046411257]<br>Westcoaster -- <br><br><br><br><br>Man! Just went to the Dark Side and read a lot of those posts. Poor guys -- white smoke, bad rockers, rough idle, bad injectors, burnt pistons, yada-yada. 6500 miles on my CTD, and it runs better everytime the odometer clocks another thousand. Maybe I finally did something right. <br>[/quote]<br><br>You forgot oil leaks <br>I feel the same. Have driven F*rd trucks since '87 (3 diesels 1 gazzer 103k,274k, 312k, 261k) so was somewhat reluctant to leave the F*rd camp. But Dodge/Cummins has a great combination with the '03. ;D<br>My loyalty is with my business and wallet. And for me the fuel mileage is a huge bonus. 5mpg better means alot of $ in my pocket end of the year. A minute of silence for the F*rd camp
Old 02-28-2003, 08:29 AM

I agree with spots. I used to be a GM person, but they never could get a viable diesel into their pick-ups. When I bought my first one, the '99, I had researched and talked to a lot of big-rig people, and the smaller engine diesel choice was always Cummins and Cat. The only one in a pick-up was Cummins. I have to go where the wallet says is best, and that is reliability and longevity. My friends who owned powerstrokes (as did my youngest son) always seemed to have oil leaks and bolts that backed out of the turbo housing. Ford dealership locally would replace the bolts under warranty, but said there was no permanent fix for the turbo bolts. I didn't want to have to use a warranty, as the best warranty is the one you never have to use. After several test drives in all three makes, I selected the Cummins. As time has passed, I have been gald several times that I made the coice I did. Just my $.02
Old 03-01-2003, 05:45 PM

I've been reading the Diesel Stop site for years because I'm also considering buying a Ford for the full size crew cab. Tons of hype about the 6.0 and it looks like the infant mortality rate is pretty high. Ford seems to have decided it's best to let the customers participate in their beta testing program. :<br><br>The thing that kills me the most is the acceptance and brand loyalty of some people. It doesn't matter what Ford does to them, they take it with a smile and keep on trucking, Ford loyalist no matter what. Oh, and I love this logic too: Ford sells more trucks THEREFORE their trucks must be better. That might carry some weight if people didn't buy Ford trucks just because they are Fords.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:39 PM
TDC

I was one of the first ones with a problem with my new 6.0 and if i would post something negative they would call me a troll and one of them said &quot;look what his name is TDC must be a troll&quot;. Those are my initials nothing more. It is kinda cool though what they could stand for. I stopped even letting those guys know of my problems or progress because I thought I was going to be stoned. I came to the conclusion that their truck could blow up and they would say &quot;It's should do that&quot; or &quot;I'll put up with it for all that hp.&quot;. What hp. I am so glad that Ford bought mine back! I don't know what ot will take for them to open their eyes, all I can say is good luck.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame to spend all that money for anything and not be able to enjoy it. But on the other hand, just think of all the low mileage powerstrokes that will be on the lots when they all get fed up enough to look into another brand.<br>Hopefully they won't lose too much when they trade their low mileage 6.0 Ford for a Cummins.<br><br>Just my $.02<br>Rich
Old 03-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

TDC:<br><br>I commend you for being able to get on a forum like<br>this and tell the truth about the new Ford 6.0 PSD! <br>As I said in my earlier post, I had NO IDEA Ford was<br>having the kind of problems they were with these<br>trucks and their engines! <br><br>It is a shame you couldn't get on the &quot;site&quot; and give<br>your &quot;honest&quot; opinions without being called a &quot;troll.&quot;<br>Who knows, maybe your entries about your experiences<br>stopped some &quot;poor soul&quot; from buying one of the new<br>Ford PSD 6.0's and having the kind of problems you did!<br><br>Good job!!<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 03-01-2003, 10:43 PM

I also commend TDC for being able to be realistic and acknowledging that a truck he put his hard earned money into isn't as perfect as a lot of other owners try to pretend. Out of about a group of 6 friends only one other and myself are CTD owners and we here all the jokes. The other 4 &quot;friends&quot; that own the two other competition agree that their trucks are above and beyond mine just because of the brand slapped on the front. I know my truck has it's issues. I just can't seem to comprehend how they have all had way more problems then mine (and turn a blind eye) and will still go on praising their trucks brand as the best. I have to agree with TDC, if one of their trucks blew up with them in it and they lived they would go out and order the exact same brand of truck bragging about it.
What is it about these people and there blind faith in these trucks? No matter how many times they have a problem with it and they end up taking it up the wazoo in some way they just keep on smiling like we're all missing out.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:57 AM

I think Dodge is carrying a lot of baggage from the bad old days when they did build crappy trucks. I would also have to say It is probably not that long ago either. Compare a '93 ford and a '93 dodge for fit and finish and extras and I think the ford will win. However, compare the powertrain of the same year, non turbo diesel, twin I beam 4x4 - To dodges CUMMINS diesel and solid front axel 4x4. The dodge was famous then for it's excellent fuel economy.<br>That was ten years ago... times change...
Old 03-02-2003, 06:32 AM
TDC

It's funny, when I did all of the paper work and received my check from my dealer he said &quot;let me order you another truck&quot;. I asked him if I could drive the new one he had on the lot and he said &quot;I don't think you should drive that one&quot;. I said no thanks and went to my Dodge dealer and checked on my order status. I buy what I like and what I think is the best at that time. I am not saying that some day Ford won't be on top, but not this day and I don't think it will be as long as Dodge has the Cummins. I can truley say that I like everything better about the Dodge. I thought I would miss the extra room in the back seat but the trade off is a little more room in my garage and better turning. My wife said that she can really tell that I like my new truck. I said yea I got to where I hated to drive the other one and to even look at it because of all of the troubles. Now if that along with Ford not being able to fix a truck with less than 1000 miles on it dosen't make you wonder where your money went I don't know what does. Odds are you could have problems with any truck because they are not perfect but the problems that I and countless others have had with the 6.0 I think is totally uncalled for and I lay the blame on Ford. I must stop now and go look at my new truck before my blood pressure rises too much. Man this makes me mad!

Quick Reply: Problems with 6.0 Powerstroke