General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

please explain injector ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question please explain injector ?

I have read that one must be carfull not to touch the tip of a injector?
Whats the deal how can the oils from your skin hurt something thats exposed to a combustion chamber?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what they are trying to stress is more to get you to put a plastic cap over the tip to protect it from dropping it or rubbing it plugging the spray orifices. The oils on your skin have an acid/salt base and if it gets on the polished mated internal parts it will etch your fingerprint on it and possibly seize it together. The spray orifices are very small (.006-.008 usually) and will plug very easily if you try to rub off the carbon, and NEVER wire brush them.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So then the issue with skin oils really only applys when your assembling nozzels onto injector bodys? I havent done this yet so I'm not to sure what it looks like in there (my Jammers were assembled already) but I just couldnt see how touching these things could hurt anything given the enviroment their in and the fuel (with all its impurities and add ins)that gets pounded thru them. Thanks for the input I'm just trying to understand.