General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Oil leaking from the Exhaust side of the turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking from the Exhaust side of the turbo.

Here is what I have done.
Bought a 84 Toyota 4x4 with a 2.4ltr Naturally aspirated diesel in it.
I LOVE odd ***** like this so I just couldn't pass it up.

I found a guy in Canada that had an exhaust manifold, intake, upgraded turbo and all the lines going to and from the turbo.
Could I pass it up? No!
So now it's a 2.4 ltr Turbo Diesel.
I did some searching and found a cool little unknown (to me) injection shop in SLC that had a BRAND NEW Turbo IP on the shelf. Bought it and tossed that suka on.
So I get it running BTW it runs great or at least I think it does.
The problem, I ran a 3/8 line for the oil feed right from where the oil sender used to be, it has a 1/2 maybe return line on it out of the turbo. so I ran 1/2 down to a oil return already there coming from the vac pump. The return on the vac pump is 3/8 so I had to reduce the return from the turbo down to 3/8 as well. This is where I think my problem is.
I have oil leaking around the waste gate pivot and after running for a while it drips out the tail pipe.

So my question for the group is; should I knock a hole in the pan and weld on a 3/4" nipple then attempt to get a larger return off the turbo so the oil can get out faster?
I think the reservoir in the turbo is under pressure causing the oil to be forced out the exhaust side.
does that make sense?
I had someone tell me I need to do this for the return and restrict the oil feed a bit.
BTW this engine has 60psi of oil pressure when it warm cruising down the freeway.
thanks all
dan
Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you're on the right train of thought, sharing the the line with the vacuum pump isn't allowing enough flow.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
I think you're on the right train of thought, sharing the the line with the vacuum pump isn't allowing enough flow.
Yip, I think I'll head to EVCO house of hose with the turbo drain in mt hand and measurement from the turbo to the pan and get what I need to drain it to the pan.

Thanks
dan