General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

New convert from PSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New convert from PSD

Hello everyone, after seeing how well my 96 F250 worked as a chainsaw (ran off the road into Colorado forest) :-[, I picked up a 2001 CTD 4x4 Quad at a good deal . Just thought I'd give you my first impressions. The PSD was a bit qiucker. It had 4.10 gears and the CTD has the higher gear. I think if it had 4.10's also it still wouldn't keep up. I have not towed with the CTD yet. The PSD was great with loads. We used to take a small fifth wheel and a cutty cabin behind it (probably about 12,000# combined packed for vacation). It made trips from CO to CA and to MI. Never had any problems except glow plugs, under warranty. Had the accident at 126,000. After looking I am glad I tried a Dodge. The cab is great. You notice how much more room there is. The wife thinks the cab is quieter. I think it is a little louder (maybe it's the more truck-like engine sound). Like I said, I haven't towed yet, but I'm sure it has all of the power I will need 8)(some of you guys out there pulling 20,000+ should check out a F450/550). The CTD looks as if it will get way better MPG. The PSD got 17 empty. I'm getting 21 MPG at 22,000 miles. I'm told I'll probably get another 2 MPG as it breaks in. The Dodge rides better. It looks better than the 96 F250. The new ones are getting better though. I get a lot of compliments on the new truck. A PSD will probably do everything a CTD will do and vice-verse, but with that Cummins the Dodge will probably do it twice or three times as long. Can't beat the reputation. Anyways, I think I have a great truck and look forward to try to keep it on the road for more than 126,000 miles. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Old 11-19-2002, 09:16 PM

Re:New convert from PSD

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us! Now watch out for the sheeps, penguins, hoss, ummm I think that covers it! Head on over to the online store and get a jump start on BOMBing... where's that 12 step program at?? ;D Just kidding... welcome again and congrats on your new purchase! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 11-19-2002, 09:30 PM

Welcome !! You will like this place. Lots of good info in here. <br> You are gonna love this Dodge, I guarantee it. Engine is not too complex with lots of ways to wring more oomph out of it (these guys will infect you with the BOMB bug ... watch out). <br><br> Still trying to figger out this blue sheep and penguin relationship ??? ???<br><br>PISTOL
Old 11-19-2002, 09:45 PM

Howdy Wheezer.....I was a Ford man for generations but I love this Dodge/Cummins.<br><br>Welcome aboard<br>Chip
Old 11-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to the site Wheezer! pull up a stump and have a sit down!. Watch your wallet though as these guys will try to help you spend every dime on mods for your truck ;D<br> You have any questions feel free to sing out, thats what we are all here for!
Old 11-20-2002, 08:12 AM

I also owned a 96 psd a long time ago. I'm trying to forget. Never got close to 100k. The engine went at 80k and I just sold it after that. tranny &quot;5spd&quot; went at like 75k so Iwas already mad. I love my 94 ctd pulls hills a lot better even when stock.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:12 AM

wheezer <br> Is your new dodge auto or 5spd if it is auto that would explain why it is a bit slower the ford auto has always been better stock IMO
Old 11-20-2002, 10:45 AM
KC

Wheezer welcome aboard, I to a an ford 97 PSD, but now I have a 01 as well and love it, the quad cab is some much better than the extended cab. I thought the truck was quiter in the cab my self. As for power, I feel that the Dodge was faster with more power.<br>Good luck!<br><br>KC
Old 11-20-2002, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Wheezer, sorry to hear about the logging incident!!! That'd be hard on the paint for sure! <br><br>Anyway, as for the F450/ 550 being better then a Dodge, no sir, no way, no how! : :<br><br>Been there! 99 F450 PSD Crew cab, 6 spd. Terrible fuel mileage for starters. Around 50,000 miles good bye transmission, shortly thereafter goodbye rear-end! <br> <br><br>Under 60,000 miles spent $9,000 (Canadian) fixing that thing!!!<br><br>I agree it was quicker, seemed to have more &quot;snap&quot; with those low gears, almost gasser like <br><br>Trust me, you'll like the Dodge.<br><br>I also agree however, that a stock Ford auto is WAY better than the dodges.<br><br>I also liked the brakes better on the Ford and felt it had a better steering &quot;feel&quot;.<br><br>Good luck with the CTD!
Old 11-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard!<br><br>I think you've found a great place with quality information and some great people!<br><br>This place is a great place to learn about your new ride and if you want to meet some of the people around here check out joining a local chapter in your area. If there isnt a chapter near you already, maybe you can start one up?<br><br>Check out my signature for email information about joining a chapter near you.<br><br>Rich
Old 11-21-2002, 12:48 AM

Hi Everyone, both trucks are autos. The F250 had 4.10's. It felt like it was a lot quicker. TOOL - I hadn't heard of problems with the manuals just the auto. I didn't have any problems though. I left the trans in OD unless it was &quot;hunting&quot; between 3rd and 4th. I didn't tow daily, probably 1/3 of the miles had the toys or a GN and backhoe behind it. They camper and boat all hooked together totalled 65 feet and was a sail in wind. It had plenty of power, but towing mileage sucked. I'd get 11 at 75 and low as 6 if I was in Wyoming/Nebraska wind. The truck never had a hiccup. I just changed oil at 3000 and tranny fluid at 50,000. I think the Dodge has better brakes and steering than the F250. The Ford was a standard cab, I think the quad turns tighter than it did! The Dodge has disc vs Ford's drum on the rear brake. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy with my purchase and I know I have the better bullet up front. It my first Dodge though, liking it so far...