General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Need help with a Peugot

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a Peugot

My girlfriends old man just bought an old diesel Peugot as a beater car, and wants to do something about putting a block heater in it. He didn't think he'd have much luck finding something that would fit in one of the factory freeze plugs, so hes thinking about getting an electric fuel heater like you would put on a big rig and installing it in one of the heater lines. Any suggestions guys? I'm gonna check at work tomorrow to see if we have anything in our catalogs, but I was also wondering if a bmw, mercedes, or VW block heater would fit. Sorry, I havn't had anytime to look at the car, I don't know what model, year, or engine it has, I just know its got a diesel in it. And since its just a beater, I don't think he wants to spend a whole lot on it.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Chapter President

Check around, you can get a circulating pump to splice into the bottom radiator hose.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There are inline coolant heaters that install in a section of heater hose, JC Whitney has them this time of year.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 PM

I really hope he knew what he was up against buying a vintage French diesel. Nothing aganst the French here, but thier products seem to be quite "non standard" if you understand what I mean. Many parts just wont' work as repalcements, and if you're lucky enough to find a parts car, you may want to drag the whole thing home so you have what you need - at least once.

I would agree with a coolant heater, preferably a circulating type. other options my be a dipstick tube heating element, I sure there are options out there. I'll be curious to know how it does on a cold start. My family's older Volvo's (Turbo & non-turbo 6-cylinder) were pretty cold blooded, and the glow plugs lasted maybe three years, tops. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by afoulk
My girlfriends old man just bought an old diesel Peugot as a beater car, and wants to do something about putting a block heater in it.
probably a 504 model, 1977-79 range?

The only good thing about getting one of these is that people should pay him to haul away parts cars. ;-)

They were neat cars in their own way and even ahead of their time in some aspects -- but the parts situation is pretty ugly. Peugeot stopped importing cars to the US in the early 90's and even before that it's not like there was a dealer on every corner. I bet most if not all of the electrics and fuel system were Bosch so he might have some luck x-ref'ing those parts over to BMW, VW, etc. Otherwise ebay might be the good for parts (or parts cars), as of a couple years ago you could still find NOS parts being offered there.

I drove a '78 gas model for many miles, then had a diesel one for a bit - I think a '79? I was diesel ignorant then but even w/ some or all of the glow plugs out it would eventually start on a cold morning. It laid down huge amounts of smoke until it warmed up though. 'Cold' meaning 25-30F btw.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 PM

I think his is an early 80's, and its a 505, turbocharged diesel. I ordered him an electric heater/pump that circulates and heats the coolant. $25 didn't seem like such a bad price. I think if he has any major problems with it, he'll just junk it. It does have 280k miles on it. He drives an hour to work one way every day, and his chevy pickup was really sucking down the gas. I'm just happy he got something diesel I'm trying to talk him into swapping a 4bt cummins into his chevy 1500 (2wd)