General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Need Help- Manual vs Automatic, Diesel vs Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start looking at particular trucks so you can compare actual numbers between them. That will get you going into a real direction instead of gas/diesel, manual/auto bit. Both are heated topic discussions and very often boils down to personal preference.

Put stats and and actual driving conditions to a truck and you start to see what trucks you should look at. BTW, what is your budget?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm definitely not "rich," horse showing doesn't allow that but sticker price really doesn't matter. I can easily afford a high monthly payment or a large amount down. My goal would be under/around $20k area.

I have money saved up for a new trailer but I need the truck first. I already have a buyer for my trailer, and if I found something good but above that amount I could easily skip a few horse shows and I'd be set
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't like giving people advice on how to spend their thousands, but I really have been impressed with my 12V for reliability. The only thing that would keep me from buying another one is if it needs a ton of maintenance, because they are getting older now, and the little things add up. But the lowest mpg I've seen is around 11 mpg, towing a bit over 10k lbs in a hurry. Average empty mileage is 20+ summer and 18 winter. Towing the camper at ~7k I average 13-14 depending on speed. Some newer trucks dont get the same mileage, because of emission components (can be removed) but I have been steady at the numbers above.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My rule of thumb is under 8K trailer, gas 1/2ton, 8K-10K either a gas or diesel 3/4ton, over 10K go with a diesel and over 12K consider a 3500(1 ton).

Yes today's trucks can haul a lot more and if you only haul occasionally then thats ok but I don't like the idea of buying a 1/2ton and loading it to near its max capacity every weekend.

Constantly driving a truck loaded to more than 80% of its rated tow limit gets tiring after awhile. Have a truck that easily handles your load makes towing a joy.

Your first two trailers are in the upper end of 1/2ton territory. A 3/4(gas or diesel) would last longer, and probably be less maintenance on brakes/suspension/tires etc as it will last longer.

That 13K trailer can easily be pulled by a 3/4ton diesel assuming it doesn't have a huge hitch weight.

With trailers over 8K you will find the diesels pull them with way less effort and will get WAY better mileage towing and a gas truck will.

Also if you want the truck truck to last a long time consider that not only is the engine beefier in the diesel but so is the tranny, diffs, brakes, suspension, etc than the exact same truck with a gas motor.

Downsides, as mentioned initial cost of purchase, repairs can be costly BUT if you are overworking a 1/2ton then that might even out. Diesels don't like short trips and cold starts. They need to be worked regularly. If you tow a RV 6 times thru the summer and then drive 15 min to work everyday a diesel isn't going to like that.

You said you tow over 8500# every weekend, you drive 65km every other day, and you want the truck to last a long time. I think a 3/4 ton diesel would suit you well and would do fine for occasionally pulling that 13K. If pulling it a lot consider adding airbags or getting a 1 ton.

Go drive some, the 2003 and up Dodges are MUCH quieter/smoother than the previous years . You might be ok with an older one though. Try to get it on the highway to see what the road noise is like.

Try to avoid getting one chipped or modded or doing that after you buy it. Chipping/modding is fun but can be expensive and shorten the trucks life span. Your hobby is horses not modding trucks, both are expensive.

Personally I find autos nicer for towing/driving. Sticks are fun in sporty cars but just end up being more work in a truck. Backing up is easier as well I find with an auto. When you need to do fast maneuver such as slow down and then accelerate its nice that the autos just shifts. Sometimes I end up losing track of where I am with my 6spd and end up in the wrong gear.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Op, I sent you a pm. Personally, I will never own a gas engine again. Its manual diesel all the way for me.....
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirl01
When I go farther distances though we have to take the big trailer which is about 13,500 loaded.
/
What are you using now to tow this load? That should give you a lot of guidance on what you want/need next.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
My rule of thumb is under 8K trailer, gas 1/2ton, 8K-10K either a gas or diesel 3/4ton, over 10K go with a diesel and over 12K consider a 3500(1 ton).

For flatlanders, yes. If you're towing in the mountains then divide the above by 2.