General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Mitsubishi 2.3 L 4D55T Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi 2.3 L 4D55T Trouble

Howdy all,

I’m working on the engine in my Ram D 50 1984 dodge. It currently has me over a barrel and I was hoping someone here has experience with it and the Diesel Kiki pump that is on it. It’s a 2.3 liter 4D55T Mitsubishi engine; I bought the truck not running.

PO said it went bang while driving down the road and died, never to restart. I got it home and checked out the oil and water levels, both were fine. PO had replaced a head gasket on it I thought there might be a possibility that the timing belt had slipped time. Pulled the covers and it all checked out. I put a fresh battery in it and after a minute of cranking and some either it was running, rough but running. I bled the injections lines while running to remove any air and noticed number one cylinder didn’t affect the RPM as much as the other three cylinders. I swapped number one and two injectors but it had no effect on the cutout test. At this point the engine would start on it’s own after about five seconds of the glow plugs on a forty degree day.

I reassembled the remaining components and took the truck for a drive. It ran out well for a small engine and the little bit of white smoke cleared up as well. The engine was running smoother than it had and idling well. Took it for another two mile trip and all was well. I shut it off in the driveway and immediately tried to restart with no luck. The engine just spins over not trying to fire at all. It won’t start cold or hot now, or with glow plugs or either. I suspect the fuel rack has hung up in the pump but I have no clue as to were it is or how to get it freed up. Can some one give me some pointers? It’s a Diesel Kiki rotary 4 cylinder pump with electronic fuel shutoff.

I’ve located the plunger/solenoid but I don’t want to tear the pump apart with out any clue of what I’m doing. I had the very same thing happen on my Roosa Master pump on my 4320 and it took about five minutes to fix it. I haven’t had any luck finding a manual for the engine other than the vague Chilton Manual I currently have. I have a compression tester on order to try to figure out if number one hole had an issue and if the engine is worth repairing. But, I started the engine 15 -20 times before the test drive and it always fired up without much issue and for it to just suddenly not start I think it has to be a small issue within the pump. I’ve replaced the timing belt thinking maybe the stretch of the old one may have been an issue but it didn’t affect a thing.

Sorry to be long winded but I could really use some help with this thing.

Thanks,

Neal
Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyoest
Howdy all,

I’m working on the engine in my Ram D 50 1984 dodge. It currently has me over a barrel and I was hoping someone here has experience with it and the Diesel Kiki pump that is on it. It’s a 2.3 liter 4D55T Mitsubishi engine; I bought the truck not running.

PO said it went bang while driving down the road and died, never to restart. I got it home and checked out the oil and water levels, both were fine. PO had replaced a head gasket on it I thought there might be a possibility that the timing belt had slipped time. Pulled the covers and it all checked out. I put a fresh battery in it and after a minute of cranking and some either it was running, rough but running. I bled the injections lines while running to remove any air and noticed number one cylinder didn’t affect the RPM as much as the other three cylinders. I swapped number one and two injectors but it had no effect on the cutout test. At this point the engine would start on it’s own after about five seconds of the glow plugs on a forty degree day.

I reassembled the remaining Mitsubishi parts and took the truck for a drive. It ran out well for a small engine and the little bit of white smoke cleared up as well. The engine was running smoother than it had and idling well. Took it for another two mile trip and all was well. I shut it off in the driveway and immediately tried to restart with no luck. The engine just spins over not trying to fire at all. It won’t start cold or hot now, or with glow plugs or either. I suspect the fuel rack has hung up in the pump but I have no clue as to were it is or how to get it freed up. Can some one give me some pointers? It’s a Diesel Kiki rotary 4 cylinder pump with electronic fuel shutoff.

I’ve located the plunger/solenoid but I don’t want to tear the pump apart with out any clue of what I’m doing. I had the very same thing happen on my Roosa Master pump on my 4320 and it took about five minutes to fix it. I haven’t had any luck finding a manual for the engine other than the vague Chilton Manual I currently have. I have a compression tester on order to try to figure out if number one hole had an issue and if the engine is worth repairing. But, I started the engine 15 -20 times before the test drive and it always fired up without much issue and for it to just suddenly not start I think it has to be a small issue within the pump. I’ve replaced the timing belt thinking maybe the stretch of the old one may have been an issue but it didn’t affect a thing.

Thanks,

Neal
See the date of this thread. very long time. Sorry for bumping this up. A friend of mind had the same thing and yes its the transmission. Paid for a couple of amount and got his car fixed!

"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER"