General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Mercedes diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes diesel

ok so right now im lookin at selling the truck for two reasons
1 fuel costs
2 need somthing with less miles to drive across the state to college

and wat im looking at is maybe a mercedes, i found out that i can pay the same amount for a 99 diesel e-class 300d as i can for a 99 dodge 2500 diesel. so i like the idea of the diesel merceds because they are rated for 34mpg highway which i really need at this time

so my question is

how reliable are they
how peppy would 132 hp be?
are they bombable like the cummins
also any suggestions on the matter

thanks in advance for the replys
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Personally, I would suggest putting a topper or shell on your current truck, and using it as your school veichle. Take a bicycle along (again, think of a farily basic, even used mountain bike) and keep it locked up. If it's a residential college you'll find that you'll drive your truck very little and use the bike a whole lot. Have a older, used truck like yours will come in handy for running errands with friend for couches, furniture, etc. And since you only need to make the drive across the state a few times a year, you really won't need much better than your truck - which should be more than enough for the task.

My view - focus much more upon school, and you'll get yourself into a situation to afford much better toys later on. The only think you may want to consider as an upgrade for school is a good laptop computer. Consider yourself blessed to be able to go to school - it's an essential thing these days, something that many folks simply cannot take time to do...Just my $.02...good luck...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM

well the new vehichle before school thing is not my idea, its my moms who happens to be an complety ignorant when it comes down to these things about vehichles, and when she says something her whole side of the family are like sheep and wont quit till they get their way, so that part is not up to me, i have the decision to get either a 99 ram 2500 or a 99 mercedes, so im buying the vehichle regardless, i just have to get up some pros and cons of each to make an educated decision.

but i agree on the laptop thing, i am at a college governors school right now, and i am using a crappy gateway tablet pc and that has opened my eyes to the good laptop thing
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Well - if they won't rest until you're in something more reliable, I would take the '99 Merc E320 D over the 24-valve Vp-44 pumped Dodge truck anyday. Not to mention it will last a long time, be faily trouble free, and give *fair* fuel mileage. With that known problem area with the fuel & lift pump on the 98.5 - 02 24-valves, I would stay away from those years completely.

As for bombing the Merc, I would check around on other sites, but I would personally consider leaving it alone. They really are a nice long-distance cruiser, and racking up the miles in one of these is quite effortless.

As for your Mother's concerns - could I suggest a AAA membership and a cell phone?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 AM

I'd get a gasser to beat around. 134 hp is low and 34 mpg is nothing special these days. If you must get a truck or Mercedes, I'd say Mercedes because diesel truck = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not to mention PITA parking problems with a huge truck (as is usually the case in college towns)!!!! Ask me how I know... And if you have a truck around campus, you better learn how to say no or people will start using your truck like a U-haul.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Did a quick check on '97 - '99 E-class Mercedes diesels last night. Lowest priced one I found was 12,995 with 160k on it. Looking at Autotrader.com and doing a notionwide search.

For that money, I would seriously consider a common, gas-engined car for quite a bit less. It's not exactly a car that draws my intrest much, but I picked up a 2000 Accord EX 5-speed from the first owner with 136k on it for around 6300 last year. I've since put 30,000 miles on it and have done exaclty 6 oil changes, and it needed tires when I bought it. The first owner had all the reciepts and was very methodical about caring for the car. Frankly something like this would more than serve your needs for school, and it's newer & reliable to keep your mother at ease. Plus it's cheap to maintain overall and I've averaged 30.9 mpg over the entire 30k miles I've owned it. A Civic would get even better mileage and be less expensive yet.

Good luck, I have to agree with webcruzer overall...
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 AM

The E320's will get 38-44 mpg on the highway with the diesel engine. And their 0-60 is in the 6 second range. Plus they are comfortable unlike the pathetic econobox gassers on the market that get 36 mpg and ride like a mid 70s Chevette.
http://www.thebiglot.com/reviews/200...CDI_REVIEW.asp
Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 AM

yes i know that hondas are good cheap little cars, i have a few, but the thing is i want somthing that is comfortable, while still getting good fuel milaage, plus i really want t diesel, and if i could get a diesel honda here in the states i would, but i cant, and the other diesel car is a VW that dont have a spotless track record, as many of you know. and believe me on the mother thing, its really dificult to put her at ease. after my brother went to college and on 2 outta 2 vehichles he had an axle fall out of the front end, she worrys too much.

besides im not asking if you think i should get one, im asking how easy are they to work on and maintain, i know they are reliable. i just need some inside advice from someone that has one
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Well - it sounds like you know what you want. I'm sure they are fine overall, maintance wise it's liley not to be a big issue anytime soon. You're correct the Jetta's don't have a completely sound track record, which is why I sacraficed some mpg and bought an accord instead. The Merc is a eurpoean car, and the truth is, it will break down eventually and it will cost some money to get it back right again when it does. When they work correctly - they are wonderful.

But I would want to see documentation that an E-class sedan gets over 38 mpg.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Find a good used 84 300D turbodiesel. A lot less money, very reliable, very comfortable and pretty peppy once the turbo spools up. You should get at least 30 on the highway out of it and its a classic looking sedan.

Then stay in school and finish. I smoldered for 8 years before finally admitting to myself that I was not a student, became easily bored and could do better for myself on my own.
Now with the economy tanking my options are much fewer to remain at the income level I have enjoyed these past 15 years and kinda wish I had a few more doors open to me. That BS would sure be nice to have right now!

Just my two cents!

Kurt
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
How much road-tripping are you going to be doing with the Benz?

I know a few ppl which hit those mileages on the road. My friends which drive mixed city - 25 mpg is more likely. Only the 98-99 is turbo charged. The 95-97 is better mileage, but not the power.
W210 have known rust problems. Find long discussions and pics on the web so you will get a good one. I like my benzs, but they are designed as higher maintance cars. If you have a lot of miles, plan on a new vacuum pump so you don't kill the motor. Not sure of all the OM616 known services. Glow plugs can freeze in the head and be a valve job to r&r.
For the money, I'd consider just a gas engine. They are thousands cheaper and the delta in mileage vs cost is low. The M104's engines are very strong and the only real issue is a head gasket every once in a while. Diesels get a premium as they only brought 4,000 per year into the USA.

Michael
Old 06-27-2008, 03:01 PM

KEEP THE TRUCK

I was in college 03-07 and had an '01 ram 1500. I met a ton of girls by helping move stuff for them, plus where I am girls love trucks...way more than old rattly mercedez (their perspective, not mine). You can fit lots of beer coolers and grills in your truck, not so much in a sedan. Also moving in and out of a dorm or apt is much easier when you can fit all your stuff in your vehicle and not worry about renting a van or something. Like to camp out? Like to tailgate? Like to be the go to guy for girls who need help moving stuff? Like to have the truck thats so big and noisy that noone wants to borrow it to go home for the weekend or go to the store?

....all that being said, fuel was a hair cheaper in 2003
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by gomerpile
yes i know that hondas are good cheap little cars, i have a few, but the thing is i want somthing that is comfortable, while still getting good fuel milaage, plus i really want t diesel, and if i could get a diesel honda here in the states i would, but i cant, and the other diesel car is a VW that dont have a spotless track record, as many of you know. and believe me on the mother thing, its really dificult to put her at ease. after my brother went to college and on 2 outta 2 vehichles he had an axle fall out of the front end, she worrys too much.

besides im not asking if you think i should get one, im asking how easy are they to work on and maintain, i know they are reliable. i just need some inside advice from someone that has one
Gomer,
It's unlikely you will survive the rigors of college. They will insist on better writing and spelling than you use in your posts. Keep your truck so you can get a good job hanging drywall!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop-Pop
Gomer,
It's unlikely you will survive the rigors of college. They will insist on better writing and spelling than you use in your posts. Keep your truck so you can get a good job hanging drywall!
Good advice.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:32 PM

ha ha very funny. when im posting i dont watch wat i type, i have already spent some time in college, i know whats in store, and i have a 4.0 right now.

Quick Reply: Mercedes diesel