General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Manual or Auto??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Auto??

What do you like and why
Old 11-23-2006, 11:48 PM

I love an auto it is so much more seamless to drive.. and keeps that diesel in the good rpm range. and if you ever drive in much traffic you'll love the auto UNTIL it breaks the D/C autos suck..I went with the 6spd. if you want a good auto gota go get a bow tie..
Old 11-24-2006, 12:14 AM

I personally like the manual trans. Better mileage more control, it's all a matter of opinion.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 AM

DC autos get a bad wrap IMO. The 48REs are quite a bit better than the 47REs and RHs. With a good converter and valve body, they will handle quite a bit of power
Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to row gears.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Welcome to the forum, and I can see you are trying to do your homework before buying.

The reason I like the diesel (another of your questions) is purely the power. The additional mileage doesn't hurt a thing as it makes you happier at the pump.

As for the transmission, it is a personal preference, the manual and auto get close to the same mileage but I feel you have more control over the power with the manual. The manual also requires less maintenance and from what I have seen tend to hold up better than any auto, plus they are less $$$$ when purchasing, servicing, or repairing.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2
Welcome to the forum, and I can see you are trying to do your homework before buying.

The reason I like the diesel (another of your questions) is purely the power. The additional mileage doesn't hurt a thing as it makes you happier at the pump.

As for the transmission, it is a personal preference, the manual and auto get close to the same mileage but I feel you have more control over the power with the manual. The manual also requires less maintenance and from what I have seen tend to hold up better than any auto, plus they are less $$$$ when purchasing, servicing, or repairing.
thanks for the welcome!yes i am trying to do my homework before buying and all info is great!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do a lot of towing, and for me nothing beats the manual!!!!
In January the 6.7 cummins comes out and their is a new 6 speed automatic!! (About Time)
The only thing I don't like about the manual is overdrive is a little slow But man it sure pulls
Old 11-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Manual all the way! As others have said, there is so much more control when you change the gears for yourself. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by schaef_12
I personally like the manual trans. Better mileage more control, it's all a matter of opinion.

Mee toooo!

I don't mind the idea of chaning gears.
And i feel better about hoocking up to an oversized load and going down the road.

I have never had a DODGE auto tranny; but I have KILLED 2 ford 3/4 ton tranny and 5 chevy auto trannies was not wanting to take a $35,000 testdrive.

If dodge will use a version of the transmission that Mercedes put behind their 300D I would not think twice about having an automatic. That one is close to indestructable I TRIED to kill that car in college I mean really tried to KILL it. Bless it heart it put up with me for 3.5 years
Old 11-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Some thing else to think about is that out here, the manual is much more desirable in the re-sale market for a Dodge
Old 11-24-2006, 08:01 PM

6spd all the way . (that's period )
Old 11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

I always thought the manual was better too, until I bought one. This comparision is between a manual NV5600 six speed with 3:73 gears and a auto with 3:73 gears. The OD in a manual is the same rpm's as an auto in OD. If I had to shift down to 5th for hills with the manual the rpm's were the same as 3rd in the auto or OD off. With the tow/haul in my 06 it will down shift automaticaly when needed. I can also shift my auto down to 2nd gear and have lockup. With 325 hp and 3rd gear in the auto I don't beleave there will many steep grades that will slow me down. The manual also looses boost between shifts, the auto does not. The manual you have to pause between shifts so it doesn't grind or shift difficult. Starting at the bottom of a steep incline and pausing between shifts is nerve wrecking. The auto in my 06 can also be used an engine brake in tow/haul mod and it will do it automatically. I can also shift the auto into 2nd and have engine braking. The engine braking is the same as on the NV5600 I had. Both of them without an engine brake.

There have been quite a few manuals braking down lately also and parts are even harder to find for them than the auto. They also cost about the same for a full rebuild.

In my opinion with the newer 48RE's it's a crap shoot between manual and auto, pick which ever is more comfortable for you to drive.

If the new 68RFE is as good or better than the 48RE why even build or sell a manual anymore.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 PM

I definitely see reliability in the manual. No one should doubt it can take more abuse of which the mighty cummins is more than happy to dish out. If I used my truck alot pulling I would like a 6speed. However, I drive 70% of the time unloaded. I only have a 6000 tt. My auto with edge ez is mighty nice for my modest application. If you are willing to invest more in the auto than manual, you can get a DTT,Goerend or Suncoast tranny that will smoke any stick out there on the track and pull "almost" as good as a manual. Just be prepared to pay 3500 plus that auto tranny.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:04 PM

i dont know IMHO the dc autos are not all that bad. i mean look at my mods and my trans is still STOCK

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto??