General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Mahindra Pickup - Automatic only in US

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Mahindra Pickup - Automatic only in US

And here's a suprise from a manufacturer who I didn't expect to see it from. The sooncoming Mahindra diesel small trucks will be automatic only in the US. Certainly a deal breaker for me, guess it must be an emissions-compliance thing. I also can't see something like this selling for the stated $22k base price.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...k-up.html#more
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM

For that price they an keep it. I want a cheap small diesel, not a super small under powered, POS. For that money I could buy a nice 04 Cummins, and not need to worry about any warranty. Its to bad, I was looking foward to seeing these.
DS79
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM

The first couple of pictures make it look as if it's a little Subaru truck, and would that be a neat idea? Since Subaru now has a turbo-diesel version of it's flat-four, I could see that making a cut in a small truck - with a 5-speed and a price more like $16-18k to start. That would be a winner, in my book.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 PM

With the technology in the "clean diesels" that price would be much better. At least then you would know why the cost was high. They would make some awsome fleet trucks.
DS79
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering what happened to all the left over Ford courier Parts $ 22 K ,. I don't think so thats all I payed for my 90 CTD new, and even as old as it is, its 10X the truck
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Thumbs down

I had high hopes for these Mahindra diesels when i heard they were coming to America. Then, I caught a look at them and their insane price tag and was disappointed. They really look truly awful, not at all what you would expect from a modern designed truck. The build quality on them is pretty laughable too, if you read the small article on them by Mike Levine in pickuptruck.com.

I dont see how they will "make it" as a company...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM

I too had high hopes, and they were hyped up by the local dealer prior to full release of details, price point was gonna be affordable, lots of options, etc. But 22k and auto only? WTH. What's up with everyone going to auto only with new trucks? First GM, now for 2011 ford is going to be auto only (according to a post by a dealer rep on another forum.)
Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 AM

I am still interested in the little things. Whos automatic is it? If its the Aisin auto I wouldnt think twice about buying one and I HATE automatics. As far as power goes, its the size of a Ford Ranger with three times the torque. I think the little thing has plenty of power! Styling? Come on, it comes from a third world country. Its to be expected that its gonna have the styling to it I think.

I am still interested in them for sure.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Leg room?
I have a family who all stands 6' or better.
Based on the pics Ive seen, we'd have to sit in the bed in order have enough leg room.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Isuzu P'UP dah jah voue?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protectionism on that price tag? Results of strick diesel emmisions on that Price tag? I hear it could get Jetta TDI fuel economy until the apply the US Emission stuff. Though it was going to be bigger guess not. The whol auto thing plays to more and more folks and employee that can't drive stick or each enough clutches to make the auto cost fieseable these days.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
I am still interested in the little things.
Yeah, I'm still interested too, just not as much as before I saw the price tag.

Styling? Come on, it comes from a third world country. Its to be expected that its gonna have the styling to it I think.
I agree on the issue of 3rd world styling, but if they're going to produce things that LOOK like something from a 3rd world country, the price tag ought to reflect it as well. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

chaikwa.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Yeah, I'm still interested too, just not as much as before I saw the price tag.

I agree on the issue of 3rd world styling, but if they're going to produce things that LOOK like something from a 3rd world country, the price tag ought to reflect it as well. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

chaikwa.
Very good point! I like the way you think.

If it weren't for the tie down hooks I dont see much difference between these two. If the quality is as good as the Jap stuff then I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails Mahindra Pickup - Automatic only in US-pic-4354.jpg   Mahindra Pickup - Automatic only in US-131_0807_05_z-july_2008_4x4_news-mahindra_truck.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good point! I like the way you think.

If it weren't for the tie down hooks I dont see much difference between these two. If the quality is as good as the Jap stuff then I would buy one in a heartbeat!
I don't mind the tie down hooks. I don't even mind the 3rd world styling actually. As long as the bed doesn't fall off when I go down a dirt road I'd be happy!

chaikwa.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I don't mind the tie down hooks. I don't even mind the 3rd world styling actually. As long as the bed doesn't fall off when I go down a dirt road I'd be happy!

chaikwa.
Looking at your sig, sounds like that could be a concern with some of your other trucsk

Quick Reply: Mahindra Pickup - Automatic only in US