Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Injector Nozzles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Nozzles...

I've noticed in reading about the VW TDI's that they just replace the nozzles instead of the entire injector.

Isn't this a quite delicate process though?
Why don't they just go ahead and replace the whole thing?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:27 PM

cause a set of injector nozzles is what about 500 bucks (cdn) a whole set of injectors for my mom's tdi runs a little over 1 grand
Old 10-22-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TDI'ers have been changing only nozzles for a few years now, and I don't know any that have had problems. Most have done it themselves, while some take them to a bosch shop. The tdiclub has lots of members who are generous with their time for the good of the site - so they have lots of instructional procedures with digital pictures and guides for every step.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:29 PM

I heard someone mention "TDI" and "nozzle" in the same breath.... You called?

Having done a few of these myself, here's a few pointers....

Changing the nozzles is not a particularly difficult process, but there are pitfalls to look for. Cleanliness is important. This can be somewhat problematic because there is usually a lot of carbon built up around the tip of the injector. THe sealing area between the nozzle and holder must be PERFECT or it will leak. THe other potential trouble area is torque on the retaining nut- don't even attempt this without a bench vise and a box end wrench.

It's about as tough as changing a spark plug.

THe 1st and 2nd gen dodge injectors are less complex than the VW injectors, and there is really nothing to the VW injectors once you see how they go together. THere's just another set of springs and shims, a couple of other differences, including the #3 with the lift sensor. THey are all just relief valves. JUst don't take them apart more than you need to when you replacce the nozzle, and DON'T mix up the shims if you do take them apart.

Of course certain nozzles require shimming to get the pop pressures even, but others are better quality and the pop pressures are spot on.

THere was a lot of concern among the less adventurous ones when people first started changing nozzles themselves, like the injectors would vaporize or something if someone touched them that wasn't blessed by the hallowed hand of VWAG or Bosch. It's really no problem at all.