General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hino

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM
KVD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah thats what I tellin you but we don't have to use a 350 or 454 (I didn't even say that a just said american V8s ). I mean we could use a 440, 426 hemi, 340, 360 for the mopar guys maybe a 383.

Then for the ford guys 302, 351, 460 (not much of a ford guy some ford men can help me with that).

Then there's always stroker motors to throw in there plus now there are custom crate motors from people like merlin that go up around 700ci.

You tell me how much is in that motor and whats done and I'd say I wouldn't have a problem buildin a V8(I do perfer chevys though and 350 parts are cheap) so give me some numbers.

Besides .500 plus lift cams and a super charger sounds alot better than a turboed fart can .
Old 11-10-2007, 06:38 PM

I love the Cummins medium duty engine in my light duty truck. Put a medium duty engine AND transmission in my truck and I'm in love. I drive a 94 Corolla with 160,000 miles and all it needs is gas, tires, and oil. I wish I could say the same thing for my last Dodge with that many miles. I dont look at a truck to bomb, I look for reliability. If I can tow 20,000lbs with no worries about engine or transmission over 500k miles because it is drastically overbuilt for my use, you can count me in. Throw in some Toyota reliability and I might just buy one (after I run this one past 200k miles, first).
Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
My guess he hasn't seen much of anything other than the inside of his colon (if you know what I mean)
Everyone knows you can't get any power out of Toyota's little inline 6! I mean hey it burns "rice" right? What you need is a good Mexican built Dodge.
Single turbo supra JZA-80 800 hp __Show on street
800 rwhp supra on dyno

All bombers should, they leave a lot of room for improvement. It's a lot easier to get 1000 reliable hp out of a large engine rather than a little one.
ive never seen a ricer inline six make 8,000 hp and run the 1/4 mile @336 mph. but i have seen a whole lot of hemi's do it. the real hemi not the new junk....
Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
KVD

Stuckey I'm with you all they way. If they so bad why don't they run with the prostreet in NRHA???

I'm not sayin toyota doesn't make good cars and truck, I'm just sayin that don't make anything a want.

But I still stand dollar for dollar, import vs. american V8s, I'll put my money down on the V8.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

That tundra was probably the most rediculous thing at SEMA. I mean come on...does anyone REALLY beleive they are going to make something like this?? Its not a pickup truck; its a medium duty 30k gvwr delivery truck.

I dont know why everyone is saying "OHH thats awesome!! I would totally drive something with that drivetrain! Build it Toyota!!"

Its not practical or feasible in any way. Whether you guys want to beleive it or not, 8.0 liter inline engines do NOT belong in light heavy duty pickup trucks, and neither do eaton transmissions. Think about it, we as true "diesel pickup enthusiasts" only represent a SMALL percentage of diesel pickup truck consumers. It is only us who would appreciate something as overbuilt and "hard core" as this. The other 95% of diesel pickup truck purcahsers would just see this as rediculously overpriced, low hp/tq, heavy, manual transmission, 2400rpm redline, and dismiss it as a potential purchasing option in a matter of seconds.

See what Im getting at?

Its like the stupid people who say "HEY, ya know what, Ford is stupid to put the powerstroke in the superduty pickup trucks, they should pull their heads out of their **** and put the DT466 and 11 speed tranny in them, THEN they would sell like HOTCAKES!"

UM NO!!!

just my oppinion...

ben
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

alot of people like to have the biggest or baddest...sometimes for use as just a grocery getter. others like hotshotters would really appreciate the heavier duty truck to maximize profits...im sure itll sell just like the f450

also wouldnt it be better to overbuild something so it wont be worked at maximun capacity?

brett
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
alot of people like to have the biggest or baddest...sometimes for use as just a grocery getter. others like hotshotters would really appreciate the heavier duty truck to maximize profits...im sure itll sell just like the f450

also wouldnt it be better to overbuild something so it wont be worked at maximun capacity?

brett
If someone wants "heavy duty" to this degree, just buy a flippin medium duty!

I could also throw some tandem axles, a huge frame, and an ISX in one of my VW beetles and tow semi trailers around, but honestly, whats the point?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
When Toyota invested $375 million in Isuzu a year ago I thought they'd develop something close to the Duramax .
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyotas-...echnology.html
That is how Toyota got some relatively free R&D on what NOT to do when designing and building a clean burn diesel for the light truck market. They bought into the company, which gave them rights to the R&D on the Dura.... By using what did and did not work, its makes the design Toyota is working on that much better. Toyota wont end up with the ugly black eyes like GM/isuzu did with the Duramax failures.... Its great business sense.. Gotta give them credit for that one.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:37 PM

If a manufacturer would come out with a truck that got 20-30 mpg 200-300hp and 400-500tq I would buy that over any most hp/ most tq truck anyday. If I needed all that hp and tq I would go out and buy a med duty truck. For me it's all about mpgs that's $$$$ in my pocket
Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by KVD
Yeah thats what I tellin you but we don't have to use a 350 or 454 (I didn't even say that a just said american V8s ). I mean we could use a 440, 426 hemi, 340, 360 for the mopar guys maybe a 383.

Then for the ford guys 302, 351, 460 (not much of a ford guy some ford men can help me with that).

Then there's always stroker motors to throw in there plus now there are custom crate motors from people like merlin that go up around 700ci.

You tell me how much is in that motor and whats done and I'd say I wouldn't have a problem buildin a V8(I do perfer chevys though and 350 parts are cheap) so give me some numbers.

Besides .500 plus lift cams and a super charger sounds alot better than a turboed fart can .
Your missing the point. On a previous post someone said that "Toyota should stick to building 2.0 rice burners" (or somthing equally as ignorant) so I posted videos showing the power you can get from one of the meanest street cars on the road which happens to be only 3.0L Toyota. I know you don't have to use a 350 or a 454!! You glazed right by me pointing out how stupid it was to compare a SMALLER DISPLACEMENT ENGINE'S hp potential to one 1/2 again it's size. You might as well just said "my dad can beat up your mom"! Well continuing on your train of thought I bet I can get more power out of a 3618 Cat than you can get out of your 5.9 cummins.

Originally Posted by stuckey200224
ive never seen a ricer inline six make 8,000 hp and run the 1/4 mile @336 mph. but i have seen a whole lot of hemi's do it. the real hemi not the new junk....
Are you one of those that actually believe (for example) that anything on John Forces car is Ford mustang other than the stickers? Your right, however I've never seen any american inline 6 make anywhere near that power either. Especially on a STREET CAR! There was a 4k hp 4cyl Acura integra. I don't know if it ever actually ran on anything other than a dyno. (solid aluminum block) Also I would hope the american v8 had more cheap power add ons. They've only had more than a slight head start.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by duratothemax
That tundra was probably the most rediculous thing at SEMA. I mean come on...does anyone REALLY beleive they are going to make something like this?? Its not a pickup truck; its a medium duty 30k gvwr delivery truck.

I dont know why everyone is saying "OHH thats awesome!! I would totally drive something with that drivetrain! Build it Toyota!!"

Its not practical or feasible in any way. Whether you guys want to beleive it or not, 8.0 liter inline engines do NOT belong in light heavy duty pickup trucks, and neither do eaton transmissions. Think about it, we as true "diesel pickup enthusiasts" only represent a SMALL percentage of diesel pickup truck consumers. It is only us who would appreciate something as overbuilt and "hard core" as this. The other 95% of diesel pickup truck purcahsers would just see this as rediculously overpriced, low hp/tq, heavy, manual transmission, 2400rpm redline, and dismiss it as a potential purchasing option in a matter of seconds.

See what Im getting at?

Its like the stupid people who say "HEY, ya know what, Ford is stupid to put the powerstroke in the superduty pickup trucks, they should pull their heads out of their **** and put the DT466 and 11 speed tranny in them, THEN they would sell like HOTCAKES!"

UM NO!!!

just my oppinion...

ben
All the guys on here that say "build it build it" are the same ones that would "Crap" when the price of such a truck was made public. They don't realize that you can actually buy a medium duty cheaper than a pickup like this. Emission standards are different, safety standards are different.

Originally Posted by duratothemax
If someone wants "heavy duty" to this degree, just buy a flippin medium duty!

I could also throw some tandem axles, a huge frame, and an ISX in one of my VW beetles and tow semi trailers around, but honestly, whats the point?
You could do all those mods to your VW but it wouldn't matter on here (forum) If it's not a Dodge or a Cummins it's junk. They all want to play "billy big-rigger" with their pickups bragging about how much they tow. Oblivious to the fact that there is nothing "heavy duty" about a pickup truck.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 AM

According to Wiki most of the trucks Toyota has are designed, engineered or assembled by Hino including the Hilux, T100, FJ, and Tacoma with the Tundra being partially designed by them.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 AM
Chapter President

Have to addmit, it looks pretty cool! I wish all Toyota models were available here. Seems like they all have diesels in them over seas! Darn reulations!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...taduallyeng500
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
Toyota wont end up with the ugly black eyes like GM/isuzu did with the Duramax failures.
Other than injectors... Im not trying to start anything, im just curious why you beleive the dmax as a whole was a failure...

wasnt it your service truck that blew up because of injectors?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my hino fb jo5c-td weighs 9800lbs empty and get 17mpg empty.

Quick Reply: Hino