General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hino

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... must be - guess they took the steel out of the body and put it in the Hiny block.

What's the appeal of a 300HP, 600ft-lb, 1500# dressed diesel made in Japan?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I guess the appeal might be the famous Toyota reliability. And the stock HP means little compared to what it might be capable of. Stock HP, as you know, is often very conservative. I doubt Toyota is very interested in getting into a HP race. But with that many cubic inches that thing could be a nice workhorse and last forever. Hinos are good trucks.

John
Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
HOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Hope Toyota uses thicker sheet metal on the heavy duty models.
I swear the new Tundra has thinner metal than our trucks.

MikeyB

onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnineten
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
YES!!!!!!!!!

I love big, under powered engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats funny right there.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Hino rail.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has already been stated...alot that the Tundra, if it goes diesel, will in all probability, not be using the Hino 8.0L (I really wish it would tho, just think of the mod possibilities). It was just an impressive overbuild for the SEMA show.

I am excited, and hope to see Toyota bring a 3/4 and/or 1 ton diesel truck to the U.S. market!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM

just to point it out again for the haters, if thats all that it puts out stock and yet it weighs that much, just think about how much HP it should hold up to when you bomb it!

the cummins isn't all that impressive in stock form either, so just think of it as a wolf in sheeps clothing (just like the cummins).
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 AM

here is a little quote from toyota:

Wedging the J08E 8.0-liter Hino inline-6 cylinder turbodiesel (normally intended for a 35K-pound truck) under the hood was a challenge. To get the 1,500-lb motor to fit, the body had to be lifted up off the frame by 3-inches, extra Deaver aftermarket leaf springs were added to the rear, and the engine compartment firewall had to be cut all the way to the back of the HVAC panel. The heating and ventilation ***** you see in the cab are strictly for show. The modified firewall ends about an inch-and-a-half behind those controls.

like sixpack 73 said .... just think about the possibilities
Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by DBM
wow toyota should stick to what they know best 2.0l ricers, even then there still a joke.
Originally Posted by crownsey54
lol i guess you have never heard of a supra.
My guess he hasn't seen much of anything other than the inside of his colon (if you know what I mean)
Everyone knows you can't get any power out of Toyota's little inline 6! I mean hey it burns "rice" right? What you need is a good Mexican built Dodge.
Single turbo supra JZA-80 800 hp __Show on street
800 rwhp supra on dyno

Originally Posted by qzilla
YES!!!!!!!!!

I love big, under powered engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All bombers should, they leave a lot of room for improvement. It's a lot easier to get 1000 reliable hp out of a large engine rather than a little one.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
My guess he hasn't seen much of anything other than the inside of his colon (if you know what I mean)
Everyone knows you can't get any power out of Toyota's little inline 6! I mean hey it burns "rice" right? What you need is a good Mexican built Dodge.
Single turbo supra JZA-80 800 hp __Show on street
800 rwhp supra on dyno

All bombers should, they leave a lot of room for improvement. It's a lot easier to get 1000 reliable hp out of a large engine rather than a little one.
Leaves me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:16 PM

The article I read on that truck and engine stated the enitire chasis and driveline was from a 35,000 lb gvw medium duty truck. They just slapped a pickup body on it. So that conservative 300/600 hp/tq number is right on the money for a freight delivery van truck of that size. I saw a youtube where the Toyota rep describing that truck said they could easlily factory tune a lot more torque and hp from the engine. With the light duty diesel pickup market as competitive as it is on the hp/tq and cubes front do any of you guys really think Toyota would be foolish enough to release a production model that was less powerful than the competition? Maybe they would I don't know. But I kind of doubt it.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

just wait. itll knock everyones socks off and the big 3 will be playing catch up just like the car market is always following toyota foot steps but constantly finds itself one step behind

brett
Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
KVD

I really hate toyota and I will never own one unless it's like a lil beater that I jump stuff with. I really don't know why I just don't like there cars or trucks, they have nothin I want.

O and on the 800 toyotas, I've always said it and I'll say it again. You put the money that have in the engine into just about any american V8 and u will come up with alot more tha 800.

Start talkin bout turboin or even twin turboin V8s and your talkin over 1000.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 AM

When Toyota invested $375 million in Isuzu a year ago I thought they'd develop something close to the Duramax .
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyotas-...echnology.html
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by KVD
O and on the 800 toyotas, I've always said it and I'll say it again. You put the money that have in the engine into just about any american V8 and u will come up with alot more tha 800.

Start talkin bout turboin or even twin turboin V8s and your talkin over 1000.
WOW so you mean to tell me you can take a 5.7L v8 (350ci) or a 7.4L v8 (454ci) and make more power than a 3.0L 6cly engine. WOW who would have thought? I love V8's they make good boat anchors.

Quick Reply: Hino