General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hino

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it reminds me of the Cummins....
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by KVD
I really hate toyota and I will never own one unless it's like a lil beater that I jump stuff with. I really don't know why I just don't like there cars or trucks, they have nothin I want.

O and on the 800 toyotas, I've always said it and I'll say it again. You put the money that have in the engine into just about any american V8 and u will come up with alot more tha 800.

Start talkin bout turboin or even twin turboin V8s and your talkin over 1000.
The Supra engines will do 800hp on factory stock internals and with factory stock rear-ends under them. GM engines won't make 800hp without pistons and rods. And usually headwork as well. I've personally seen a stock internal Supra run 10.0s with nothing but tuning and a larger charger. It had never been rebuilt. They are tough engines. But I've never been impressed with the little toy trucks. You can't work them and the body's fell off most of them.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
That is how Toyota got some relatively free R&D on what NOT to do when designing and building a clean burn diesel for the light truck market. They bought into the company, which gave them rights to the R&D on the Dura.... By using what did and did not work, its makes the design Toyota is working on that much better. Toyota wont end up with the ugly black eyes like GM/isuzu did with the Duramax failures.... Its great business sense.. Gotta give them credit for that one.
Duramax failures ??? I know several Duramax hotshotters with well over 100,000 miles on their trucks with only minor repairs .
Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Our Dmax is getting closer and closer to 100k We have only busted a shock on the passenger side, and thats cuz my dad has the T-bars MAXED out. We have Bilsteins on order. Great truck IMO.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM

From Automotive News:

The Tundra Diesel Dually uses off-the-shelf parts from Toyota, its affiliate companies and suppliers. It has:
* An 8.0-liter inline six-turbocharged diesel engine from Hino, Toyota’s large truckmaking affiliate.
* Hino medium-duty axles.
* The body from a regular Tunda CrewMax.
* A lengthened Tundra frame.
* An Eaton five-speed manual transmission.

A spokesman for Hino said the engine is too big for the Tundra, but could be scaled down to around 6.0 liters. He said Toyota has not decided whether its wants an inline six-cylinder engine — a layout used by the Dodge Ram diesel — or a V-8, which is used by Ford and GM diesel trucks. Toyota, he said, has not chosen an engine supplier for the truck.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
Other than injectors... Im not trying to start anything, im just curious why you beleive the dmax as a whole was a failure...

wasnt it your service truck that blew up because of injectors?
and GM also extended the injection system warranty to 200K i believe.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Hino diesel, Eaton manual all equal a million mile truck IMO.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
Hino diesel, Eaton manual all equal a million mile truck IMO.
OH now don't be silly!!!! If dodge or cummins didn't make it, it isn't any good. Everyone knows that! (well at least some on here believe that)
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM

I think the eaton tranny would be feasable. Its not much bigger than a NV5600. I hope they go with a inline-6 of some type. I work for a Hino dealer, and I must say, we've never had any problems with these engines, other than the occasional leaking oil cooler (leaking coolant externally) and there was a couple campaigns where we had to replace belt tensioners and certain turbo's, but it was all more of a preventative measure, none of them actually failed. They're a good solid truck. And I don't believe the axles are actually made by Hino, I think they're made by Arvin Meritor, as is most of the chassis parts on the truck. The cabs are the only thing they build over in japan (I'm talking about the med. duty Hino's). If they built a truck any where similar to that show truck, I'd buy one, if nothing else, just for the piece of mind it would give me.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:42 AM

Proven to break down?

[been watching dodge fall apart here for a long time. Engines are great truely amazing. The rest......

QUOTE=Dieseljunkie;1779444]yup.. thats the vehicle.. but.. they are saying that its gonna have all medium duty equipment.. including the motor.. 300hp with an 8.0 diesel????? huh? And.. if they produce it, just wait for the price.. I'd be willing to bet it will top the 50k mark for a bare bones, if they use all the same equipment they use in the prototype... I'll stick to my dodge that cost me 33k and is proven.
Scott[/QUOTE]
Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Hope Toyota uses thicker sheet metal on the heavy duty models.
I swear the new Tundra has thinner metal than our trucks.

MikeyB
Yes. I see the beds flexing and vibrating on the freeway all the time.
If you use an ATV ramp to load your vehicle it would bend the tailgate on the early ones.Hopefully Toyota has beefed them up.
The Aussies would shear the wheel studs off of them when Toyota sent some over. They don't mess around.