General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Had a wreck, now want to buy some parts back off my truck...how best to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a wreck, now want to buy some parts back off my truck...how best to do it?

Wrecked a truck a few weeks ago and my insurance company decided to total it. So they had some salvage yard move it from the original towing company to the new salvage yard. Assuming that I'm able to track down the name of the place that now has my truck, what's the best way to go about obtaining some parts off my old truck? Should I or shouldn't I tell them that it was my truck (thinking that might affect the price?)? I have no experience with this process, so I really appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I assume you don't want to buy the whole thing back. But if the insurance company hasn't paid you yet, you still own it and should be able negotiate with them to remove anything you'd like. For instance, if you spent some $$ on an after market stereo (and it looks like you did) and wanted it back (and I'll bet you do), you should be able to get it. It is not likely that your stereo means diddly to the insurance company but the salvage guy will make money off it if you dont take it. Same goes for other parts.

Good luck man and sorry to hear about your rig.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:16 PM

I am sorry to hear of the wreck. But I have to ask if you would be able to snag the drivers side front door for me if you are able to strip some parts ... (This is the quad cab in your sig?)
Old 12-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by xp8103
I assume you don't want to buy the whole thing back. But if the insurance company hasn't paid you yet, you still own it and should be able negotiate with them to remove anything you'd like. For instance, if you spent some $$ on an after market stereo (and it looks like you did) and wanted it back (and I'll bet you do), you should be able to get it. It is not likely that your stereo means diddly to the insurance company but the salvage guy will make money off it if you dont take it. Same goes for other parts.
Well, I got the easy-to-remove stuff off the truck before I released it to my insurance company. So all the stereo stuff was saved. It's just things like my bumpers, running boards, and exhaust that I'd like to remove if possible.

Originally Posted by greasemonki
I am sorry to hear of the wreck. But I have to ask if you would be able to snag the drivers side front door for me if you are able to strip some parts ... (This is the quad cab in your sig?)
HAHA...yeah it is. Anyway, this is probably better left to IM cause I'm really wondering specifically about dealing with the salvage yard, but for the record, the doors are messed up I'm afraid.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they haven't paid you yet, ask them if they are going to give you the money for what the bumpers are worth and the exhaust if they are not paying you fair value for them then i belive you have the right to remove them. you dont have to settle with them i have argued before with the ins co they wouldnt pay me for grill guard before so i removed it from the truckbecause it was mine and wasnt geting the money for it
Old 12-25-2005, 10:15 PM

Rules vary from state to state, but my best guess would be that you have to negotiate with the insurance company for the vehicle and equipment that was wrecked, in the condition it was in immediately prior to the accident. In other words: they buy it from you for the book value as equipped. Some aftermarket accessories aren't recognized as increasing the vehicle's value, so they might let you remove them, but they don't have to. You can make a deal to buy it back from the insurance company for salvage value after they've bought it from you, but they would probably not be willing to make a deal with you to buy parts of it. They would then have to make a deal to sell the rest of it to someone else. That adds to their cost, which they are not likely to agree to do. Your best bet would be to negotiate with the person that buys it from the insurance company.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:15 AM

When I totaled my truck they negociated the price.. I had some modified parts on it and they allowed me to take them off as long as it didn't leave a hole.. If you want the exhaust you have to put another one back in its place.. ECT...

At least that is how it worked for me..

Gerry
Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 AM

I had the same issue 15&20 yrs ago , and I just asked if I could keep the car , and they just took a small amount off the value , I do not remember the amounts but I do remember that it was one of the best deals I've ever had , then when you've got what you want take to the local junk yard .