General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Great article on fuel filtering esp. Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great article on fuel filtering esp. Cummins.

http://www.nicktane.com/images/HDT_article_10-10-03.pdf

I am not commenting on this right now, except to say note the comments about fuel pumps that return a lot of fuel to the tank. Look at my fuel needed calcs in the What is so great about FASS thread. Do you have a lot more than you need ?

Note that Walbro makes smaller, less expensive pumps that would return less flow to the tank.

There was a guy telling me about a bunch of sludge in the bottom of his thank on this board. I wonder what kind of pump he was running and what his return rate was.

The heat pickup isn't as bad with the 5.9/ISB as it is with highway tractors. Those engine circulate the fuel through the head where it picks up a lot of heat. The fuel on the Cummins will pick up some heat because the lines are right by the engine, but not as much as if it flowed through the head.

BTW: 2 microns isn't 200x smaller than 5 microns. The article has a few technical errors. It is still a good read.

I'll comment in a few days.