General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Gotta Ask My DTR Friends On This One!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Gotta Ask My DTR Friends On This One!!!

I have been seriously contemplating (in between wedding plans) the mother of all pickups! It would be a totally custom project. Here are some basic stats I think it will be:

600HP Cummins ISX (to be Twin'd)
18 Speed Ultrashift
4x4
8-10" Stacks
22 feet long (268")
DirecTV/LCD screens and huge sound system, etc.
8' Bed removable by remote with Kelderman system (have ford bed in pic, but would be custom done)
445/65 Michelin XZL tires
Approximately 10' tall

Tell me what you guys think and if you have any input. Yes, I would be selling Optimus to make room for OptiMAXIMUS!

I think it looks pretty good and would be the Ultimate pickup. All thoughts appreciated! Obviously the steps aren't right and the rear door would be full size, but this was a VERY rough P-Shop.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 AM

I don't like it doesn't look right, the bed, the sleeper.. Nothing.. I do like the idea of a big truck cab and long hood with a bed but it needs to be a scratch built bed that's proportional flowing with the contours and lines of the cab and front fenders. Shave the cab lights, door handles, and everything. Weld the seams and smooth them in. Could you picture in your mind a 379 Pete (no sleeper needs to be standard cab to look right) with a handbuilt bed that smacked of an oversized 1936 Ford pu? I know you like the W900's and they are a great looking truck but the Pete has that classic pickup look about it and would be a much better suited for this project imo and would look way cooler.

I like the ISX but the 18 speed ultrashift is that the auto? I know you're gonna disagree here but imo 8" and 10" inch stacks don't look right on anything. I don't care how long and tall it is. Seven inchers are more proportional and look the best. Ask any trucker or look for yourself and see.

I say build it but you realize this means you're gonna need a 53" travel trailer. Styled after the classic looking airstream aluminum ones powder coated black of course. Where does it all end?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:32 AM

That's just a bit over the top. Have you even put any miles on Optimax????
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 AM

wiggs are you smoking crack?!!!!! finish optimus and leave the semi the way you found it........it would take too much work to even begin looking right......buy a cxt and stick a cummins in it!!!!! we all know you got skrillas but c'mon! that's kinda way out there!......
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 AM

Why not go with something like this?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
Why not go with something like this?

have to agree on that one f-650 750 look pretty sweet jacked up with beds on them. Plus their available with a cummins
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 AM

Just make one of these.

The red one is a chevy and the black one is a Dodge

Old 10-07-2007, 08:22 AM

If your just looking throw some money away? PM me, i'll send you my address.

Rick D
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Banned

I personally like it!!!!!!! All black looks good!!!!! I like your semi too though!!!!!! All and all, its what you like!!!!!!!!! Whatz going on with your 650 project?? Might this be taking its place. I really like the 650, but im thinking its gonna be to small for me, plus I will need a good customer service fixer upper when she breaks down and from what I hear, ford is not on top of their game. And the cat motor that I thought was so good, is starting to sound like a pos!!!! Good luck with your decision!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiggs, what do you think about waiting for a 5500 to come around and with a Regular cab, and have a sleeper and bed built for the 23 foot version. I think it would look alot better.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Honestly for one you would have to find a custom buyer for Optimus.. ANd you can't tell me you don't love that truck... Heck don't you still have the lift and tires sitting there... I agree it does not even look proportional or right... Even if the photoshop was better.. Get a CVT or the F750 and put a cummins in it... I think a Custom CVT would be killer and you would be saving some serious coin....No matter if your rich or just an honest joe working on these trucks money is money and it's all hard earned and I would think that starting with a good platform would make life easy for everyone even the gentlemen doing the custom build for ya...

Just my .02 But I would think that you could get optimus to pull a 48' gooseneck with living quarters and be a lot happier..????
Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 PM

I like the concept...but the initial set-up is well .....off. If you are going to do it...it needs to be to scale....A 10foot x 8foot box with an appropriate wheel opening would be a start....The Peterbuilt in Diesel Power was perfect.
Also think more along the lines of the side panels being like the Aero K-Whoppers...less jagged juts and more molded and integrated look. There are some wickedly nice sleepers that add to the chassis...that one is a wart....I liked your Long Wheel base W2000 or whatever it was with the 160inch sleeper better because it looked custom and smooth. With the size of the truck....think a box that has no dually fenders but just a box with a big super single in there....Ideally you could use a dually box ....add two feet to the floor ...and then do a custom wheel well...this would give you the wheel well opening to match the big wheels more to scale.....If you were going to do a dually fender ....do a shaved Megacab one that only stuck out 3 inches or so.
Keep the drafts coming....Kerry
Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm surprised that I like it, but I do. I prefer the more rugged w900 style to the petes & I like the proportional look of the smaller sleeper. The bed needs to be taller & more rugged looking. You also need some long rectangualr fuel tanks that are as long as the cab & sleeper. I'd recommend a regular 18/15/ or 13 speed.

More constructive criticism can be had in exchange for Optimus,
Ben
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Im seein no pic, so no constructive criticism...
Old 10-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Come on man this is one of the silliest thing i've seen yet, next to a pete hood and cab, with a kw aerodyne bunk on a pickup frame I've seen one here In alberta but he didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it.
You're going to put a ultrashift in that truck LOL stick to the manual box, why 2 turbos on a ISX, get a acert CAT which already has 2 turbos and hook the truck up to the computer and increase it's power that way, and 625hp and 2150ft/lbs not enough for yah and I thought it was gay enough to see those f750's and internationals driving around with pickup boxes on it.
What are you going to to with a truck like that, and your 06 kw for that matter, haul a 48ft race trailer? convert a 53ft car hauler into a RV,So you're looking to build a army truck but in all black lol, you ruined the look of your dodge by powdercoating the rims and your 06 KW leave the aluminum and S/S the way it is supposed to be, And there is no way you can get that truck to be a 4x4 and be 10 ft tall have you ever seen a 4x4 kw or pete?
If you want this thing to be 10 ft high put low pro 22.5 on it and I don't know if kw offers this, but pete does, a low low air ride suspension. If your doing the work yourself you can call it your project if you paying someone to do it, it's their project.

ok that enough bickering,This is my Idea of a RV towing truck get rid of the dually box and put some kind of custom aluminum flat bed on it that will have full fenders incorporated into it to pull off the look you going for, BUT with the tandems still installed I think you ll have to go with a pete 379 with a 48" sleeper I love the look of kw 900L BUT they have a integeral design to their sleepers meaning that the cab flows into the sleeper, Pete sleepers are much cleaner to look at. Hummm I wonder what a pete sleeper would look like on a NON aerodyne KW cab.
Maybe put some high quality chairs in the sleeper instead of the bed. I think there will be enough head room with a flat top.
A wise man once said "There are Truck drivers, and there are people who drive truck"

Quick Reply: Gotta Ask My DTR Friends On This One!!!