General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Getting Back in a Truck - Ford or Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This truck going to get a concrete bedliner also???????
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Honestly if your not going to be really hauling anything then get a gasser, you'd be wasting your time and money on a diesel.
Here's the thing...the truck will be paid for with a truck allowance and the fuel will be paid for by my employer. I'll be on the hook for insurance and maintenance. So, I'm basically getting the truck I've always wanted whether I really NEED it or not. And I really don't. I will occasionally pull a trailer for work (construction equipment), but mostly it will be my pet and I'll keep it nice and shiny.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Originally Posted by Hoss
Here's the thing...the truck will be paid for with a truck allowance and the fuel will be paid for by my employer. I'll be on the hook for insurance and maintenance. So, I'm basically getting the truck I've always wanted whether I really NEED it or not. And I really don't. I will occasionally pull a trailer for work (construction equipment), but mostly it will be my pet and I'll keep it nice and shiny.

A tempting offer indeed. Since they will be floating most of the nut on this my only question would be what will you do with it once they are done with you? Assuming you will be a long term employee and you will only tow with it occasionally I still can not see justifying a diesel. Warranty, maintenance and repairs are exceedingly expensive outside the warranty and company benefit period. Essentially if you are not going to be working a diesel 80% of the time it is used you are wasting you time buying one.

Its a conundrum Hoss and I truly wish you the best with your decision.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
A tempting offer indeed. Since they will be floating most of the nut on this my only question would be what will you do with it once they are done with you? Assuming you will be a long term employee and you will only tow with it occasionally I still can not see justifying a diesel. Warranty, maintenance and repairs are exceedingly expensive outside the warranty and company benefit period. Essentially if you are not going to be working a diesel 80% of the time it is used you are wasting you time buying one.

Its a conundrum Hoss and I truly wish you the best with your decision.
Well, I'm not exactly trying to justify it. The only justification I have is that it's what I want. Unless things go very badly then I could easily spend the rest of my career with this company. I'll pay the truck off around the same time the warranty goes out, at which point my vehicle allowance could be used for any major repairs. Unless regular maintenance is significantly more expensive than it was on my '03 then that's really a non-issue for me. I maintained that truck on my own nickel while making far less than I do now.

I appreciate the advice. And it's probably sound advice, but I've pretty much already made up my mind about it. Essentially someone else is buying me a truck and paying for fuel. I might as well get what I want.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Well, I'm not exactly trying to justify it. The only justification I have is that it's what I want. Unless things go very badly then I could easily spend the rest of my career with this company. I'll pay the truck off around the same time the warranty goes out, at which point my vehicle allowance could be used for any major repairs. Unless regular maintenance is significantly more expensive than it was on my '03 then that's really a non-issue for me. I maintained that truck on my own nickel while making far less than I do now.

I appreciate the advice. And it's probably sound advice, but I've pretty much already made up my mind about it. Essentially someone else is buying me a truck and paying for fuel. I might as well get what I want.

I agree with that, its a no brainer. Wish I fell into a position like that.

Best of luck choosing.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I have my eye on a 2012 Laramie I saw on the lot today. I test drove it and then made an offer and left.
Cool, I don't think you will go wrong, especially since it is what you want, and someone else is going to essentially pay for it.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Besides, if you buy Furd you won't get this kind of tough love over at thedieselstop.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Okay, so Ram it is. Now I just have to find one.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I'd want to own the Ford out of warranty and I consider myself a gambling man... Nothing like having something break that costs almost as much to fix as the truck is worth.

They are both nice trucks though. I'd look sharply at a new ST dodge, they are really nice and I see them on ebay in the 30's new.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 AM

If things go well I'll be bringing home a shiny new Dodge tonight. Sounds like they're gonna accept my offer on the truck. I'm just trying to convince them to go 0% financing.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Holy Hell

Hoss in a shiny new truck.

Get em to toss in a free concrete bedliner and I bet that would seal the deal.

Good luck with the purchase. The 4th gen trucks are about as nice as they get.

If you leave it stock, and work it good from time to time you wont have any issues. The only downside is the fuel mileage will not be what the older 5.9s make.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm thinking I'll pass on the concrete bedliner this time. It worked out great last time, but that one was a 3500 and had the additional payload capacity. Since the new one will be a 2500 I'll probably just go with a Line-X.

Looking forward to driving it home tonight.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kinda deal did you get?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
What kinda deal did you get?
Sticker was $57K and some change. I brought it home for $46,270. Considering I was looking at some used '11 and '12 models in that same price range I was pretty pleased.

2012 Ram 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab with CTD and 6 speed auto tranny. I played with it some tonight and I'm already convinced its the most awesome truck I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Getting Back in a Truck - Ford or Dodge