Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Getting Back in a Truck - Ford or Dodge (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/getting-back-truck-ford-dodge-307318/)

Hoss 10-23-2012 07:52 AM

Getting Back in a Truck - Ford or Dodge

I've been out of the diesel truck realm since about 2007 when I got a company car and sold my '03 Dodge. Back then I firmly believed that Dodge made the better heavy duty pickup, but I haven't kept up with trucks for the last 5 years and I'm out of the loop. Due to a career change, I'm hoping to be back in a truck within 2-3 weeks.

I've been looking at some used '11-12 F-250's and I have to say they are NICE trucks with lots of bells and whistles that are very appealing. I haven't yet looked at the latest Dodges.

My question to you good folks is this: How do the latest engines and drive trains compare in Ford vs Dodge. Anything you can share, good or bad, would be helpful. I'm looking for horsepower, torque, piston configuration, ease of maintenance, costs of maintenance, fuel mileage, transmission comparisons, drivetrain comparisons...whatever factual information you can provide that helps me decide which to get.

Ready, GO!!

mgdoug3 10-23-2012 09:05 AM

I don't think you could go wrong with either truck. The 2013 Dodges sound nice. I know a guy that recently bought a new Ford and he's extremely happy with it. Plus he gets 23 mpg on the highway. If you're looking ease of maintenance, it's Dodge hands down. The HO 2013 Dodge should be as powerful as Ford. Just buy both trucks, then report back to us which one you like better after a year.

Hoss 10-23-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mgdoug3 (Post 3140757)
Just buy both trucks, then report back to us which one you like better after a year.

I wish I could!!

I test drove a couple of used 2012 F-250's that were the King Ranch edition. Like I said, very nice trucks. I was impressed with their acceleration. Rolling about 10 mph I could punch it and get the wheels to spin briefly on dry pavement.

I'm hoping to drive a Dodge or two this weekend.

What I get will in large part depend upon availability. I want to get a truck that's a year or two old with relatively low mileage so that someone else takes that initial depreciation hit. There are plenty of F-250's in my area that qualify but I haven't searched for Dodges yet.

One thing I noticed on the Fords is that you have to add some sort of fluid for emissions purposes. Is Dodge doing that now too?

Jim W 10-23-2012 09:50 AM

RAM (Dodge) will start adding DEF to the emission system in MY2013. The older RAM trucks (now the official name) did not use DEF in the 6.7L engines from MY07.5 to MY12. There have been some improvements to the Ram trucks in MY12 higher torque output with the automatic transmission equipped vehicles.

I would stay away from the 6.0L and 6.4L engines from Ford there have been some reliability issues with these engines. Such as EGR coolers and Turbos, when needed to be serviced the Cabs need to be removed to access the engine too work on them.

I have heard of some issues on the new 6.7L ford trucks too but this has mainly been on the C&C model of truck. Maintenance cost will be higher on the Ford trucks than the Ram trucks from what I have read, I also believe that Ford does not offer a manual transmission any more.
Jim W.

rebal 10-23-2012 11:03 AM

I would wait till 2013 Dodge will use def and will be getting alot better mpgs. the Fords are nice but will set you back $500 every time you have to service it ,check out just how much filters cost for the fords, also if you need major work done the cab has to come off, need a fuel system $12,000 to replace it,the systems are to sensitive , the company my son works for have all there (except the gassers) Fords up for sale and have started replacing them with dodge/Cummins . the Fords are very nice truck dont get me wrong but they are now very costly to operate + 3 of the Co. 6.7 scorpion engine have blown up one with 32k miles on it. dropped a valve / cracked coolers bent rods. personally I think truck are way to sophisticated now days and just cost to much .02

SOhappy 10-23-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 3140741)
I've been looking at some used '11-12 F-250's and I have to say they are NICE trucks with lots of bells and whistles that are very appealing. I haven't yet looked at the latest Dodges.

Many reports from magazines and people that have tried both actually like the new Dodge interiors better than the Ford. Speaking as one who went from an '03 to an '11, the 4th gens have come along way! Also much better leg room in the crew cab than the old quad. Go test drive one, you'll be impressed. [guitar]

As far as drivetrain, the Ford is supposed to have a little more power (at a higher RPM), might get slightly better mpgs, but will cost you $3-$4k more up-front and will require diesel exhaust fluid (if you care).

The general consensus is if you don't care about your warranty and are planning on a programmer and deleting, the Dodge will exceed all expectations.

Hoss 10-23-2012 02:27 PM

Good info. Keep it coming, please.

Hoss 10-23-2012 02:32 PM

I see the '11 Rams off both a 5 speed and 6 speed transmission. Which is better?

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-23-2012 03:05 PM

Do my eyes deceive me or has O'l Hoss come home?

Diesel Dave2 10-23-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3140854)
Do my eyes deceive me or has O'l Hoss come home?

I was just thinking the same thing...[laugh]

Hoss 10-23-2012 04:19 PM

I'm home! Group hug?? [coffee]

patdaly 10-23-2012 05:31 PM

Hoss, what will you be using the truck for? The reason I say this is if you are just going to be towing or reasonable with the bed weight (NO Concrete bedlners......[laugh] ) then you might want to test drive a 12 F150 with the Ecoboost.......... I know, no diesel, but it is a darned impressive tugger and fuel economy and maintenance is much less, not to mention initial buy in being cheaper. I hate to say it, but direct injection Gas is going to be a serious competitor to diesels in our market.

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-23-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 3140869)
I'm home! Group hug?? [coffee]

Now Hear This...Now Hear This! HAC Members Assemble at the Armory!

I Repeat!..All Hoss Aggravation Committee Members are being recalled to Active Duty!

You know who you are ;) [coffee]

Hoss 10-23-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3140888)
Now Hear This...Now Hear This! HAC Members Assemble at the Armory!

I Repeat!..All Hoss Aggravation Committee Members are being recalled to Active Duty!

You know who you are ;) [coffee]

Sigh. I guess I better suit up and strap on the flame throwers.

I have my eye on a 2012 Laramie I saw on the lot today. I test drove it and then made an offer and left. If they accept it I'll buy it and once again be in the DTR Club. Pics and details to follow if it goes through.

And to whomever suggested a gasser...NONSENSE!! I've been wanting a diesel ever since I sold my last one!

Hvytrkmech 10-23-2012 07:59 PM

Ford makes a great truck but the 6.7 is proving to be some what problematic. breaking exhaust valves, some injector issues, lots of warranty denials for perceived bad fuel.

Dodge, (or ram) has had some go rounds also, just search this site and your questions will self answer. Honestly if your not going to be really hauling anything then get a gasser, you'd be wasting your time and money on a diesel.