General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Gas in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in the tank

Long story short I accidentally topped my truck off with 5.5 gallons of 87 octane last night. With fuel prices the way they are I hate to drain a full tank. Is there any way to safely offset the presence of the gasoline? I've always heard adding ATF to the tank to help the lubrication helps. Is this true? Would dosing the tank with an additive like Stanadyne be a better idea? Should I go ahead and drain tank?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:38 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking lots of Power Service and topping off the tank every 30-50 miles or so with more diesel.

Other than that, I don't know.
Coulda been worse, thats for sure.
Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Best thing you can do, is weigh the price of a tank of fuel, against the price of mechanical repairs, and decide for yourself which is cheaper.

I have seen diesel engines run on a mix like that and have no visible harm done. On the other hand, I have seen them with a lesser mixture than 1/6 eat up pumps, and cause all kinds of havoc.

Last night, I was paying $1.079 / litre for fuel, works out to about $4.197 / US gallon. given the choice between dumping a whole tank, or dumping something downstream. I'll take the fuel every time.

Just my feeble .02

Good luck
Old 09-18-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just add a gallon of non detergent 30w motor oil or 2 stroke oil to the tank.

MikeyB
Old 09-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I agree, skip the ATF and either use non-detergent oil or a quart of 2 stroke oil to the tank.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:35 PM

When I was a kid.(Just a couple years ago)I worked as a fuel jockey at a local truck stop. I would have truck drivers ask me to put 5-10 gals of gas in there tanks all the time in the winter. They said it was the best anti-gel money could buy. Now adding 5 gals to a 35 gal tank may be a bit much but why not drain 1/2 the tank and then top it off with fresh diesel. Then you can add your mixed fuel a little at a time. No wasted fuel.
Good luck!
Topper
Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 PM

I added a gallon of ATF and topped it back off. I drove it about 60 miles before I realized what happened. I'm gonna keep topping off to further dilute the mix. I figure it can't be much worse than a bad batch of fuel.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would syphon out as much as you can (10-20 gallons) and refill with diesel & a quart of oil. Then top off every time it hits 3/4 full for 3-4 times, then add 5 gallons of the saved fuel to a fresh full tank of diesel and the burn whole tank. Repeat using only 5 gallons of the mixed per tank. Basically, dilute it as much as possible. You should be okay.

Keep adding conditioner per tank.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd love to be able to drain or syphon the fuel that is in the tank out but I live near downtown Nashville in a small house with no garage. I have nowhere to store that much fuel to re-mix as needed. The only option I have other than treating this tank of fuel is to have a shop drain the tank for me. I'm going to leave the truck parked tommorow and do some more research before I decide what to do.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ATF was a bad move. You should have put in the 2 cycle oil.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:20 PM

You can also throw a gallon of vegie oil (soybean) in there. You'll notice your engine also quite down a bit too.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ATF has friction addatives! use a gallon or two of oil or a quart of 2 stroke. I have dumped 3 gallons of used motor oil into my tank for years(every oil change) and it has had zero ill FX on the engine 330K and still running strong
better safe then sorry.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
ATF was a very bad move. Heres why:

1. ATF (any flavor) is red in color. It also turns your fuel red. It would be hard to explain red fuel if you ever get dipped.

2. ATF also has friction modifiers in it meant for clutch paks in trannies, not in injection pumps with tight tolerances.

3. This kinda falls under "right tool for the right job". There are much better and cheaper additives to put in the tank designed for diesel engines.

And number 4. This is a quote from another forum. The guy that posted this works in the petrochem industry.
Originally Posted by Flash
How about we look at the chemistry that makes up the Ford ATFs. If you are using Mercon V for your additive, it is a generally 20w mineral fluid and sometimes is a PAO basestock with some diesters. Not bad so far. Now comes the additive package with 2200-2500 ppm's sulphur and 600-800 ppm's of zinc. I don't think I would want to purposely run that much sulphur thru my engine as it will end up as sulphuric acid in the oil. And that much zinc run thru the injectors has got to eventually cause some erosion. So, lets look at Fords Type F ATF. It is a 20w mineral fluid with 12,000-13,000 ppm's of phosphorus, 3500 ppm's zinc, and about 800 ppm's barium. I can't believe this wouldn't poison a diesel engine. The acid load on the oil has to be tremendous. I would suggest using an additive that is made to do the job if you are using an additive at all.
Now thats the additive package for Ford ATF, I would imagine that Dexron, and ATF +4 has similar additive packages.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Sounds like I'll be taking it to have the tank drained. Thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bummer, make sure to get a quote on the draining first.
Fellow I know who had it done was charged $15 /gallon for hazardous waste disposal.
More info on gas with diesel here http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...l/L2_qa_fs.htm

Quick Reply: Gas in the tank