General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

FYI -Dodge 6.7 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI -Dodge 6.7 Cummins

Just got through with an interesting read in the Diesel Progress magazine.

The new 6.7 meets 2010 emissions standards. It does this by using an EGR, variable geometry turbo, catalytic converter (DOC), and particulate filter, which is common knowledge on this forum. What hasn't been said is the addition of another "cat", known as an NOx Absorber Catallyst (NAC) which is located between the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) and particulate filter, a throttle plate located between the intercooler and engine, and a EGR bypass valve. The NAC "regenerates" every few minutes at a temperature of 600 to 800 degrees by the injection of raw diesel from the fuel injection system. It also does a special "regeneration" every couple of tankfulls to remove sulfer. The particulate filter also regenerates on it's own schedule, determined by mass flow sensors located in the exhaust system. The ECM automatically controls the regeneration of the DOC, NAC, and particulate filter, along with the operation of all the rest of systems, VG turbo, EGR valve, throttle plate, injection system, etc.

The aftermarket performance guys are going to have their hands full hacking this one.

By concentrating on a package which meets the EPA standards for the next six years, and that can be "dropped in" the exisiting truck body without special body work, Cummins allows Dodge to concentrate on refining other areas of the truck to stay competative with the competition.

Interestingly, the original Dodge Cummins introduced back in '88 was rated at 160 hp and 450 lbft of touque. That's what the new 6.7 has at idle.

Fuel economy is supposed to be unchanged from the '06 models.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I long for the good old days of fuel and compression=run...Just Kidding NOT REALLY!!!. I had an old 89 160 hp. and to this day, the engine is still running strong, I just can't say that for the 4WD, frame, body, a/c. I guess the rear end is still good? The guy driving it now LOVES it.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
The aftermarket performance guys are going to have their hands full hacking this one.
If I remember correctly, Bullydog already has a beta downloader available for the C&C 6.7L... there's a thread about right here
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like all the extra parts they saddle the trucks with due to EPA mandates - so many extra parts to troubleshoot & fix!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 PM

holy god, i wonder if they robbed a space shuttle computer to run all that! hotrodding one of those with aftermarket parts is gonna pretty much be out of the question save for a few ponies here and there
Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 PM

great so all this means that we can figure on seeing another 4k or so added to the vehicle sticker I also heard on an auto show last night its due to debut at dealers starting mid march
Old 02-24-2007, 04:46 AM

Im sure the aftermarket will be modding the crap out of them before you know it. Ya just have to figure out where and how to "bend" the rules. It always seems like the end of performance when the eco-brats get their hands ahold of the new model and then as time passes your seein 800hp trucks.

Im not worried. But just in case I think i'll hang on to my 04.5
Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm keeping my 05' for as long as possible also... How the heck can you even change the exhaust on the newer trucks with all that stuff on there? It'll get done, I'm sure... Just gonna cost more yen...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
I'm keeping my 05' for as long as possible also... How the heck can you even change the exhaust on the newer trucks with all that stuff on there? It'll get done, I'm sure... Just gonna cost more yen...
Yep.....anything is possible if you've got the cubic bucks to make it happen
Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
How the heck can you even change the exhaust on the newer trucks with all that stuff on there? It'll get done, I'm sure... Just gonna cost more yen...
Already done. That link graphitecumnz posted above talks about Bullydog installing an exhaust from the turbo back on a 6.7L. You just have a few more parts to attend to.

Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Managing the 6.7 will be easy.

By designing new computer hardware and its own firmware package. Software engineers also usually design the processors their firmware packages control. Software engineers can make any computer controlled diesel engine do anything they want it to do by simply designing a computer and writing a firmware package to control it. Computer electronics is dirt cheap these days, the build cost would be no more that 100 bucks.

ps, I'm not a software engineer.