General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Freightliner motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ISC is an 8.3 liter (508 c.i.). Current production is common rail like a 3rd gen Dodge.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it should be a pretty good engine ? Sounding better to me all the time. Thanks Dave.

Last edited by old 300; 06-01-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: forgot to thank you
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yes, it is a good motor.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Old 300:

Hi there. I am currently putting on over 400km daily on our M2-106 with the MB900. It's equipped with a 280hp/800ft lb MB900, Compression Brake, Exhaust Brake, air suspension and a 6 speed Allison 3000 series. We carry fairly heavy container loads of garbage with this truck, and it gets a serious workout every day.

I am so pleased with this trucks performance that we've ordered more

The Jake/EB/Allison combination is the BOMB! The retarding power is amazing, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone doing in town or hiway work. Heck, I'd even order an Allison for a truck doing only hiway driving we like it so much!

Now...the MB900 series is pretty much bulletproof. That's a pile of salesman crap about these engines breaking at 500k. What rubbish...first I've heard of that! The MB900 has been tooling all over Africa for some time now, and is a proven performer. The MB4000 however (bigger HP, the size step up from the MB900) was blowing head gaskets prematurely awhile back...think it's been fixed.

The ISC 8.3L is being subbed in by Freightliner due to emmision issues with the new 07 trucks. It's PMO'd as well, as my order has been delayed till November. Nothing wrong with you getting an ISC...it'll be fine. I would like verification that the ISC can come with a compression brake. It's a $3000 option on the books, but just because it says "JAKE" doesn't mean it's a compression brake. Remember...Jacobs also builds EXHAUST brakes

Forget small sized CAT engines. If you ever want to identify who DOESN'T know squat about diesels, watch for the guy who longs to have a CAT under their pickup hood. Their C12 and up engines are pretty good; big CATS have always pulled well in the lower rpm range. But their C7 / 3126 / 3116 series left much to be desired from a longevity / reliability / cost effectiveness standpoint.

The MB900 is often times misidentified as a Detroit engine since most Detroit Diesel shops work on Allisons and the Mercedes engines.

Just FYI, the MB900 can be a little noisy at 2000-2200 rpm. The undercab muffler can resonate and cause some droning in the cab. She's real nice at 1800rpm, so that's where I'm gearing our next trucks to sit at 110kph.

Good luck!

VT
Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Just learning about the Mercedes product lineup, myself, but we have the MBE900 in the trucks we sell. I don't know if that is the same engine as the MB900 or a close cousin, but that engine has been a great engine thus far. Ours are cranked up to 330hp/1000ft-lbs torque.

Completely replaced the 275hp CATs that they used to have in them for exactly the reasons von Trapp listed.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Hey von trapp, good to hear from you. You could be right about the emissions stuff. I don't know exactly whats up. I have heard too much to know whats right or wrong. Buying a truck is very hard on the head and I know you can't always believe what they tell you. A friend was telling us about the engine trouble and when we asked the dealer he said not to worry because the engine was changed to a Cummins. As for the Jake he said a "Jake" was included so who knows if its a compression or e-brake. All I was worried about was when he said it was coming with a Cummins was it would be an ISB. Not that I don't think that they are any good just wanted a bigger engine in a 10 wheeler. I guess the ISC will be ok. We should be getting an even larger one if you ask me. If I hear anymore I will post the info. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yes, an ISC is marginal for a tandem axle. It's like sending a boy to do a man's job. An ISL would be a much better choice.

I have to drive a tandem axle Sterling with a Cat 3126, so I speak from experience. At least with the 10 speed I can always find a gear where the engine is happy - even if I'm not happy with the forward progress the truck is making.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got a hold of my cousin. He knew all about the change over to the ISC. Says MB made some block changes on the Mercedes engine and got behind on production. The only complaint has been a slight slip in fuel mileage. Only a couple tenths though so not a great amount. He says the ISC holds up very well. Better than the ISB.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Thank you very much everyone. Thanks Russ for getting a hold of your cousin. The truck is ordered and I guess we are getting the ISC 285hp. I know its likely a bit under powered, but thats what you get when you try to cut corners. A friend has a 2 year old Pete with I think the same engine except its not an '07 and it came 265hp. He took it to Cummins and they cranked it up to 330hp for a few hunderd $$. I don't know if they can turn up the new emission engine or not but if they can it might be something to look at. We arn't going to be hauling heavy loads at all, just wanted a little more than a single axle could haul. We are now using a 230hp IH 466 so I think it will be an improvement.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 PM

Wannadiesel:

3126 in a tandem? Wow...I feel your pain dude...

Old300:

I have to agree with the previous statement that an ISC/MB900 is marginal for a tandem (well put by the way). It's been my experience that trucks always seem to end up doing more than originally intended, and that cheaping out on power at the beginning can cause more headaches down the road. Engines tend to be run at WOT in lower HP engines, so I think having a higher HP engine evens itself out in the long run...less throttle is used, and for dang sure driver frustration at operating a dog is eliminated.

Mind you, in an industry where companies tend to run lower HP, I seem to be the maverick with 280HP. Way I look at it, our guys will be happy with the extra power (they do use it when appropriate, and they're very happy to have it. Happy employees = more money for the company ) Mind you it's always fun to go back and drive the little Isuzu cabover with the 152HP CAT...

On the block issue, yes, I heard that MB was short on engines, but I do believe they're also having a few hiccups with the emissions/EGR stuff. Nothing serious, just typical teething bugs that don't (and won't) affect every engine.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 AM

When we bought our new Firetruck we debated a while on wheather to get the 350hp ISC or 400hp ISC. My dad told them that they would not regret getting the higher hp motor but that they might the lower. You don't have to use all the power all the time but when you need it its nice to have. By the way we got the 400hp one and man will that thing get up and move.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Yes I know about the power thing. I would like to have a bit more but again its up to the boss. I drove a Freightliner last year with a 410 hp 4000 series MB or MBE not too sure. It had a 10 speed and lots of torque. What a joy that was to drive. The funny thing was it gave to same fuel mileage as our dt 466 230 hp. I couldn't get over that.. I'm holding my breath that this will be ok. I once drove a truck ( if you want to call it a truck) '86 Ford cf7000 cab over with a 165 hp 6. OMG what a beast to drive. It had a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear axle. Walking up some hills would have been faster i'm sure.
Anyway here's to hope that the dealer didn't steer us wrong, I asked him many times if it was going to be too small..I guess they will sell you anything..
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Which dealership in Alta?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 PM

Well, a little update...

1) My ordered MB900 powered rig has been delayed YET AGAIN to Feb 2008 at the earliest. I should mention that we ordered the truck in Feb 2007
2) I think the rumour mill might have gotten part of the reason for the delays right. Personally, I do not pay alot of attention to thirdhand relayed "facts", but a few key people I do trust are indicating there is indeed a problem with MB900 engines over 250HP.
3) For sure Freightliner is substituting ISC engines at cost for current orders; they've tried to entice me to take an ISC truck no less than 4 times. If you're wondering why I am refusing, it has nothing to do with the ISC (it's excellent) and everything to do with keeping our company power consistant (Mercedes). Also, I'm a huge fan of the Mercedes Compression Brake / Exhaust Brake / Allison combo.
4) The term "Piston Failure" has come up several times...and not in a good sense. I'm watching this closely as I do not yet know if the engines affected include 2005/2006/2007 trucks.

Hope not, or else I am in poop!

Will post more when I can confirm this info for those interested.

Quick Reply: Freightliner motors