Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford 6.7 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil dennis
Ok I have been to TWO dealers and talked with guys in the service dept,the first dealer did'nt know anything about them ,the second had'nt ever heard of this problem,BUT that they had to replace injecters already[He said something about having to replace the Huey? Injecters with what i don't know] and that they were'nt getting the milage that they were supposed to get. oh and there was a recall to up the horsepower??? now what i am going to do is to see if i can get a hold of the votech teacher and see what he has to prove this theory. I'll post what i find
The "recall" to up the horsepower was in response to the duramax horsepower increase. This is a non-issue, to me. For Ford to up the horsepower through a computer reflash is on the same level as using a programmer to get more out of your truck. Not a "recall" at all.
All modern diesels, using computers to manage the engine, can have horsepower increases through programming.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes but it was something I decided not to leave out i'm giving you "the whole shooting match " and you can decided then if something sounds screwed up
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Good work..
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Only time will tell if Ford got it right. Something this complex, from a company with limited diesel design experience, one has to wonder. Navistar has been known as a decent diesel maker, but between Ford & Nav., they sure put some poor stuff on the market. At least GM went to Isuzu, who has built millions of diesels and they still had some issues. My guess in that Ford will not get this right the first time.
Cummins made 1.8 million 5.9's, with diffrrent fueling systems to meet enviromental requirements. Ford & Gm have gone through several diffrrent motors during that period of time. Only the 7.3 was considered reliable, best I can tell.
Let's just watch. It is amazing how people will throw wads of money at the Blue Oval, trusting only in God. How sad.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM

All 3 truck makers have issues with motors. Some more than others. I personally know of a 5.9 (2 years ago, owned by a 72 year old guy) and a 6.7 dodge (last week) and both went boom. They were meticulously maintained and bone stock.

Nothing made by man is perfect. They all have failure rates, its just that some fail more than others. I'll take my chance with this truck that has "only" a 6 cylinder.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
Guys, other than their motors, the horrible acrobatics that you have to go through to work on them, their outrageous prices, and the crack head people they have working for them, supporting them, and driving them, Ford ain't that bad. Don't bash them....!
Thats Awesome!!!..
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Ok I have been to TWO dealers and talked with guys in the service dept,the first dealer did'nt know anything about them ,the second had'nt ever heard of this problem,BUT that they had to replace injecters already[He said something about having to replace the Huey? Injecters with what i don't know] and that they were'nt getting the milage that they were supposed to get. oh and there was a recall to up the horsepower??? now what i am going to do is to see if i can get a hold of the votech teacher and see what he has to prove this theory. I'll post what i find
Well, its not a HEUI... THat stands for Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector (or injection) which is a Caterpillar design copied poorly by Navistar for use in the 7.3L and 6.0L engines. The new 6.7L is a common rail system.
Yes, the new 6.7L is having issues, I keep getting CELS on the engine, aftertreatment system, and one recurring transmission code... its also gutless and mostly hype and commercial blah blah blah..

The supposed 400 hp. is only achievable in the narrowest of windows. The new 6.7L is so tightly constrained by transmission protection and emissions controls that you would have to have a Ford on a chassis dyno in perfect conditions to ever find the full fueling map point for 400 BHP.
The fuel consumption is terrrible... not to mention the UREA consumption adding to the maintenance costs.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
Well, its not a HEUI... THat stands for Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector (or injection) which is a Caterpillar design copied poorly by Navistar for use in the 7.3L and 6.0L engines. The new 6.7L is a common rail system.
all right if it is a common rail system do you know if any of the fuel even comes close to being routed though the block at ANY point?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the new 6.7L is having issues, I keep getting CELS on the engine, aftertreatment system, and one recurring transmission code... its also gutless and mostly hype and commercial blah blah blah..

The supposed 400 hp. is only achievable in the narrowest of windows. The new 6.7L is so tightly constrained by transmission protection and emissions controls that you would have to have a Ford on a chassis dyno in perfect conditions to ever find the full fueling map point for 400 BHP.
The fuel consumption is terrrible... not to mention the UREA consumption adding to the maintenance costs.

For starters the design was not copied at all. It was licensed for use "as is" by Navistar. All International injectors, HPOP's are designed, manufactured an remanufactered by Cat. The only injector that is differen is the 6.0.
The 7.3, and all DT models used the same exact injector body and fuel delivery system, which coincidentally was routed both, fuel delivery and return through the head.

As a side note. Cummins has been routing fuel delivery through the cylinder heads forever.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 AM

all right if it is a common rail system do you know if any of the fuel even comes close to being routed though the block at ANY point?

Sorry this was supposed to be multi quoted with my last post.

I believe you will find all high pressure fuel being routed internally Dennis. from what I have learned 60K psi will be the norm on OTR diesels in the very near future.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 AM

with my 40 years in the repair business i have never heard a dealer say oops we have a problem with this particular vehicle of ANY brand. i can still remember the part number of an axle bearing for a dodge rear end from the 60s. #2525415 think i replaced a few. ps still a dodge fan and always will be.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Sorry this was supposed to be multi quoted with my last post.

I believe you will find all high pressure fuel being routed internally Dennis. from what I have learned 60K psi will be the norm on OTR diesels in the very near future.
ok that makes sense Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
For starters the design was not copied at all. It was licensed for use "as is" by Navistar. All International injectors, HPOP's are designed, manufactured an remanufactered by Cat.
Licensed for use by Navistar... yep.. Remaned by Cat, well, sorta... lots of Cat parts are remaned in the same facilities as Navistar, Cummins, and several other manufacturers parts.. And lots of them being done in Mexico!!. go figure...
Hopefully the CCR system will get better.. Had any personal experiences with them yet??
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Licensed for use by Navistar... yep.. Remaned by Cat, well, sorta... lots of Cat parts are remaned in the same facilities as Navistar, Cummins, and several other manufacturers parts.. And lots of them being done in Mexico!!. go figure...
Hopefully the CCR system will get better.. Had any personal experiences with them yet??

None yet, and unless we buy a truck with that system in it I won't be. I will leave those headaches for you.

I am doing less and less outside repairs,just working on our mongrel fleet of hangers is a full time job in itself, and I am just part time. 2 more years and I am really gonna be part time, can't wait.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well here it is, now I'm not trying to bash Ford [please understand IMO Ford did make good truck 35+ years ago and thet I come from a Ford family] Today I was helping a friend of mine [He is in VT Votech] move his girlfriend and we got to talking diesels. He told me in one of the class's at the Votech the teacher told them that Fords 6.7 has a fuel problem[ also that all the other Votech teachers in the NE area had to go to Boston to learn about this]. Here it is; the fuel psi in the 6.7 is 44,000 psi, Ford could'nt find a steel line to contain that psi. What they did then was to route the fuel though the block in passeges. Now say if dirt gets in the fuel and plugs the passege the fuel psi is so great it will bore a hole though the block,fender and anything beyond the fender,like say a person . He told me that Ford is now having to correct the problem [no surpise there]. What do you think ?
Sounds like a bunch of worthless third or fourth-hand innuendo.

Wanna buy my truck with 800hp and 45mpg? I know it's less than what Billy's ex-wife's former brother in law's uncle gets, but it's all I have..

Sheeshh..

Quick Reply: Ford 6.7 problem