Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford 6.7 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford 6.7 problem

Well here it is, now I'm not trying to bash Ford [please understand IMO Ford did make good truck 35+ years ago and thet I come from a Ford family] Today I was helping a friend of mine [He is in VT Votech] move his girlfriend and we got to talking diesels. He told me in one of the class's at the Votech the teacher told them that Fords 6.7 has a fuel problem[ also that all the other Votech teachers in the NE area had to go to Boston to learn about this]. Here it is; the fuel psi in the 6.7 is 44,000 psi, Ford could'nt find a steel line to contain that psi. What they did then was to route the fuel though the block in passeges. Now say if dirt gets in the fuel and plugs the passege the fuel psi is so great it will bore a hole though the block,fender and anything beyond the fender,like say a person . He told me that Ford is now having to correct the problem [no surpise there]. What do you think ?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at a loss for words. Ford said they tested those engines! They "improved" the design. They have 400 HP! How can something be wrong!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, I'm with John on this one. All I read about this truck was how much research went into it, how much testing, and they did not have one problem with them...

I'd like to see a factual article on this. If you can find something, post it up...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's the same common rail system used in all the newer diesel engines, it is made by bosch and capable of just over 29,000psi and does not run along any passages such as your friend describes
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Yeah, I'm with John on this one. All I read about this truck was how much research went into it, how much testing, and they did not have one problem with them...

I'd like to see a factual article on this. If you can find something, post it up...
you have a point there /\/\/\

Originally Posted by bobcat67
it's the same common rail system used in all the newer diesel engines, it is made by bosch and capable of just over 29,000psi and does not run along any passages such as your friend describes
I can understand all of the above but what is gettting me is that this came from the votech teacher who went to Boston with all the other New England area votech teachers to be made aware of this problem. What I can do is to stop by the Ford dealer while i'm in town today I'll ask them see if I can get a yes,no or maybe out of them
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Yeah, well a guy at the dodge dealership told me the new ford 6.7 is already having problems. I asked what kind of problems? He didn't know.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by carpenterje
Yeah, well a guy at the dodge dealership told me the new ford 6.7 is already having problems. I asked what kind of problems? He didn't know.
After the 6.0 I always figured if it said Ford.........................my uncle says at least they circled the problem.................
Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lil dennis
After the 6.0 I always figured if it said Ford.........................my uncle says at least they circled the problem.................

Heheheheheheheheheheh.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Guys, other than their motors, the horrible acrobatics that you have to go through to work on them, their outrageous prices, and the crack head people they have working for them, supporting them, and driving them, Ford ain't that bad. Don't bash them....!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM

I am sure that on the Ford and Chevy forums, there are all kinds of evil problems with the Cummins. You will always hear all kinds of stuff- things like this have to be backed up with fact. Like Ford or not, they are not stupid. Designing an engine, I am sure, especially with the complex issues involved in getting high hp/torque while achieving decent fuel mileage, is a daunting task. They may have issues, but I doubt they will be as silly as this.
Ford has a LOT at stake with this engine.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

they all 3 have problems !
I work on Cummins mostly and see all kinds of stuff too.
like KDP or lift pumps,53 blocks, VP44s cracked dashes bad front ends ETC. ford makes a good truck the engines have given them headaches , we just have to see if the 6.7 will be strike 3 or a runner.
I for 1 will not pay more for a truck then you can buy a house for
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Hodge,

You're right they do have a lot at stake with this engine and it is a daunting task to design a new engine.

The main problem with them is the deliberate cheapening of their stuff until it has a high failure rate. Then the problem falls on the owner because the vehicle is out of warrantee. Two good examples are the 3.8 head gaskets and the recent gas V8 spark plug blow out problems. I can't believe Ford doesn't know how to make a head gasket or properly screw in a spark plug. But they know how to save a few cents on manufacturing costs and bill the owners thousands to fix stuff. That's how they've been so successful. The recent diesel problems have been the worst warrantee disaster in Fords history. But they keep putting a bigger and bigger grill on and writing Super Duty in bigger and bigger letters. Oh, and charging people to pull the cabs off to fix them!

They've gone through several generations of diesels with big problems partly related to wanting bigger HP numbers and cheaper costs. They have to cram them into a body that's not big enough and the transmissions are not reliable. Now they have rushed another completely new design into production and ramped the power up even farther at the first year introduction. It's a VERY high risk for any buyer!

But people flock to the dealers to pay $50,000. for them. Buyers don't care about the terrible service history, but they sure do care about the 400 claimed HP. I just shake my head when I hear someone say how Dodge consistently comes in dead last in the tests and how they "need" that extra few HP to get the job done. Or they bring up the old, tired Dodge transmission story. Or say they don't want a six cylinder.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Ok I have been to TWO dealers and talked with guys in the service dept,the first dealer did'nt know anything about them ,the second had'nt ever heard of this problem,BUT that they had to replace injecters already[He said something about having to replace the Huey? Injecters with what i don't know] and that they were'nt getting the milage that they were supposed to get. oh and there was a recall to up the horsepower??? now what i am going to do is to see if i can get a hold of the votech teacher and see what he has to prove this theory. I'll post what i find
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by lil dennis
Ok I have been to TWO dealers and talked with guys in the service dept,the first dealer did'nt know anything about them ,the second had'nt ever heard of this problem,BUT that they had to replace injecters already[He said something about having to replace the Huey? Injecters with what i don't know] and that they were'nt getting the milage that they were supposed to get. oh and there was a recall to up the horsepower??? now what i am going to do is to see if i can get a hold of the votech teacher and see what he has to prove this theory. I'll post what i find
Excellent. Keep up the research.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Yep I feel like the Ace reporter for the local rag COFFEE PLEASE

Quick Reply: Ford 6.7 problem