General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Finally some tow rating sanity on the horizon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally some tow rating sanity on the horizon?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08...edibility.html
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read that the other day. I'm glad to see there finally doing something about tow ratings. While yes some of the half tons today can tow as much as 11k, there's no way I would want to with one.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

No, it isn't sanity. It is being sold that way.

This so-called standard used only flatbed trailers with a bit of shield in front of it to simulate frontal area . . . COG problems with TT's and 5'ers differ considerably from this trailer type (and would thus skew the results the "standard" was based on). It also does not address the real tow capacity of minivans, sedans and other vehicles, etc (if you ignore it, it doesn't exist).

A stock CTD can pull .7G on a skidpad. To score well on this rating, a truck -- while towing -- need only score .3G, a poor number.

The discussions about induced yaw in re trailer towing are fruitful to read about (if you'll search them), but this "standard" is just a sop to the RV industry and the OEM's to limit their liability and to forestall independent, third-party input.

Of course, for those who overload their trucks, ignore decades of good practice using a WDH, etc, it doesn't matter. Same as those that think they can control a pickup at the speed limit or above on the Interstate: decades of statistics don't matter, solo or towing.

The "standard" appears to be a matter of using vehicle electronics for stability control, antilock, etc, as a matter of (so to speak) exempting some combinations from proper use of a scale and WDH.

This "standard" is narrowly defined, DOES NOT improve our understanding of tow vehicle dynamics, and is nothing more than a way of forestalling plaintiff's lawyers as written by a captive group of engineers (SAE).

As a matter of comparison between brands it barely establishes a floor to do so. Caveat emptor still applies.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Rednax makes some valid points, but at least with some standards for testing being applied, we'll be able to compare apples to apples. It'll be interesting to see how much manufacturers advertised max tow ratings drop when everyone is using the same test standards. I just can't believe it's taken this long to get everyone on the same playing field! Imagine if they were all allowed to use their own formula to calculate hp/tq! You'd have one claiming numbers at the crank, one thru the tranny, one corrected of temp/elevation, etc, etc. and all claiming they had the most, based on their own testing.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM

The definition for handling so low that one brand and configuration may be be far better on the highway than others . . . and you WON'T be able to "compare" via this standard.

If all you do is run around a metro area with a trailer full of lawn equipment, then, yes, you have "comparables".
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is still ridiculous. I wouldn't wanna be in front of a toyauto pulling even a small skid steer or mini-excavator. good luck stopping.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it just me..I don't really care how fast it can get a load moving. I care more about how well it can stop a load? my Bus can pull and stop more then pickups without any problems..0.3g acceleration..maybe 0.03..

anyway its good at least there is now a standard.

-dkenny
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I agree with dkenny on the stopping issue. Getting up to speed is definitely a plus, but I have always liked good brakes. The new Chevy add addresses this feature, I noticed.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Truck brakes stop the truck. Trailer brakes stop the trailer. Irrelevant qualification.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
until the trailer brakes fail or the trailer doesn't have brakes..then you'll want the best brakes on the truck you can have. so I still content that stopping is a more important spec than acceleration. I'd like to see it simple terms
0-60 mph times when empty, half rating, and fully loaded.
60-0 mp time under the same conditions.

-dkenny
Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Anytime 0-60 is 20-seconds you have MORE than adequate acceleration.

Agreed about braking. But, somehow, in forty years of pulling trailers have never had a problem with brake failure. Disc brakes are worth the time/expense, especially as a well-sorted tow rig will come to a stop FASTER with a trailer on the back (even with drums).

Anyone loses brakes coming down a hill didn't do the inspections they should have. Brake systems are simple to inspect or adjust.

And anyone dumb enough to have a trailer of 2500-lbs or more without brakes (as per law), or, realistically, 1000-lbs, is too dumb for words. Cleaning out the gene pool.