General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Durasmack....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4

DANA 60 front=44's no prob or around 600hp with no problem
As long as there's no traction.

I like my Dodge. That is all. Carry on.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
you guys crack me up. I think I will just throw a big set of sticks in mine and smoke out the intersection so the D-max can't see to go around.
LOL no kidden....
Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DustyRock
Did you not buy the truck wrecked? Was this why the Dana 80 had a bent tube? If that is the case then you need to retract your statement. It did not wear it was wrecked.
lol i never said it was bent because it was worn.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Dodge vs. Chev

Since I run with both crowds I see things much differently than most you guys have on this thread.

If you compare apples to apples both the common rails are very similar. True, automatic transmission wise they are different. Even so if you put a strong chip in a Duramax just like the Dodge the tranny won't hold it. Dodge has been doing mods longer and has more vendors. I do think the Chev will have the upper hand this year as they are now able to record, compare, and write changes directly to the ecm with a laptop.
Each truck has things I do and do not like.

In reality the two are becoming just like it is in the gasser world. Who ever is willing to spend the most money will be the fastest.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 PM

here is an unbiased test conducted by pickuptruck.com

check it out

1/4 mile drag
1/4 mile towing 12k
7% towing 12k
15% towing 12k

results here

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 PM

2002 Chevrolet 3500 Heavy Duty
Extended Cab 4x4 dual rear wheel, Duramax diesel 6600 6.6-liter, 6-speed manual transmission, 3.73 rear axle ratio and a curb weight of 6970 pounds

2003 Chevrolet 2500 Heavy Duty
Extended Cab 4x4 single rear wheel, Duramax diesel 6600 6.6-liter, Allison 5-speed automatic, 3.73 axle ratio, and a curb weight of 6950 pounds

"2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty
Quad Cab 4x4 dual rear wheel, Cummins High Output 5.9-liter diesel, 6-speed manual transmission, 4.10 axle ratio and a curb weight of 7927 pounds

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Crew Cab 4x4, single rear wheel, Power Stroke Diesel 6.0-liter, 6-speed manual transmission, 3.73 rear axle ratio and a curb weight of 7188 pounds

2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty
Crew Cab 4x4, single rear wheel, Power Stroke Diesel 6.0-liter, TorquShift 5-speed automatic, 3.73 rear axle ratio and a curb weight of 7250 pounds

In a perfect world, all of the vehicles would be exactly the same size and weight, and have the same tire size, cab configuration, and rear axle ratio. What we got is pretty much what you would find if you went shopping for the right truck."

Unbiased deffinitly, fair hell no. There is a difference from 4.10 and 3.73. How can you call a test that has 2 chevys, 2 fords eually equipped and 1 dodge with different rear ends a fair test. To actaully prove something at least as far as the dodge is concerned they needed 373 because there is a difference.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=mooseman]
Originally Posted by fredw
i see your complaning about the ifs, why is it that the ifs gives a better ride than the cummins, i just changed my first idler and pitman arms for a total of 500 dollars, in 300k on the the truck, running the mods i have

What about a sled pull with that IFS. What a sight that is
here's video of the wimpy IFS in action truckpulling:

http://video.dieselplace.com/Player....4F127D05A5&p=0
http://video.dieselplace.com/Player....487AEC3E67&p=0

I still have all of my original IFS front end parts on my truck after 108K miles. I sleeved up the tierods and lower the torsen bars for pulling. The wimpy front end has held up to 199 boosted launches at the dragstip and 104 hooks truckpulling and still counting
Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 PM

agreed on the fairness

but it was interesting to read through

different trucks performed well in different area's( they should have tested a 373 single rear wheel dodge also

now if they did that test for three years straight im afraid we would be the only ones still standing!!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM

look i live in dallas and let me tell you when some guy wants to race and i think his rig might be faster here is what you do ....just slowly pull ahead of him very slowly like you dont even know he is there get in front of him roll down the windo just a little and grab a can of WD-40 w/ a good straw and spray like a crazy man just slightly upwards....it all lands on his windsheild! when he his his wipers FLOOR IT! you win! ha ha but being smarter...

p.s. texans sometimes carry guns!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 AM

ya that IFS di not look to bad, and another sled pull victory

the ride of the IFS is also second to none, and that we all know
Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 AM

http://video.dieselplace.com/Player....CA52382C57&p=0

This is also a good video of a 3500 Dmax pulling. Got to give Kudos when they are due. A good running well engineered reliable machine should be applauded whether or not it has had lots of $ tossed at it to get it to perform.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:47 PM

great video, once again the IFS prevails, do you drop your bars for pulling or any other tricks you do, your truck looks very solid when pulling, great runs

Originally Posted by DustyRock
http://video.dieselplace.com/Player....CA52382C57&p=0

This is also a good video of a 3500 Dmax pulling. Got to give Kudos when they are due. A good running well engineered reliable machine should be applauded whether or not it has had lots of $ tossed at it to get it to perform.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Piston Burning!!!!

I have a buddy that has a DC and we were towing 14' Gooseneck Trailers down in Florida with around 15,000 pounds of debri each load. Doing around 15 loads per day, and his DC couldnt hang. The thing started smoking and sputtering and then one Holy day poof. Thankfully he still had a warrenty on the engine. GM had a recall on the injectors that caused his engine to crap the bed. The whole Engine had to be replaced.
**Then we were pulling some heavy equipment up some 4-6% grades and with my O/D locked out I would pull away up all of the hills, and believe me you can hear his DC with that 5" exhaust!!!
I know many people that would love for GM and FORD to put the Cummings in there trucks.

Originally Posted by ranman2001mods
Two buddy's of mine... one has a Ford Intertrashional, the other a GM DuraCrap. We seem to all get into these discussions all the time. Their trucks are newer have move stock power, but they should, their newer.
There was a article in Four Wheeler mag a while back comparing all the makes. All the lastest diesels. All stock... the Duraslow was the slowest and loudest. The Ford and Cummins tied in every catagory, except for styling. which both authors said they were ford men. SO? Any how... Stock for Stock the Cummins was better than the Duraslow. And we all know the Intertrashionals problems. I have a 2001 DC. In 2001, Duraslows were having piston burning issues...No need to race, I know mine is better. While towing the same weight(8500) up a mtn pass in colo... I passed both of them. The ford couldn't hang, the duraslow did until he started having cooling issues.

PS: send all your Ford friends to fordcummins.com. they will fix them up...
you will never see a Duracrap/powerjoke site for Dodges. hmmmm
Old 01-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by srt4brown
I have a buddy that has a DC and we were towing 14' Gooseneck Trailers down in Florida with around 15,000 pounds of debri each load. Doing around 15 loads per day, and his DC couldnt hang. The thing started smoking and sputtering and then one Holy day poof. Thankfully he still had a warrenty on the engine. GM had a recall on the injectors that caused his engine to crap the bed. The whole Engine had to be replaced.
**Then we were pulling some heavy equipment up some 4-6% grades and with my O/D locked out I would pull away up all of the hills, and believe me you can hear his DC with that 5" exhaust!!!
I know many people that would love for GM and FORD to put the Cummings in there trucks.
srt4brown,
How can you friend have a DC and GM replaced his engine . Maybe I am not reading it right, but this is what I got from this post.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

DC in this case stands for duracrap. I had to read over it a couple of times to figure it out.