General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Durasmack....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
Aight, I was trucking down I-30 minding my own when a lifted Duracrap pulled up beside me.
What color was the duramax and was it a youngster drivin it?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

Mach 1.6's and your EZ will most definately make your truck **** and Git and make that Dmax think twice about racing ya next time.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

Same can be said with 2 comparable powered Cummins, 1 built auto-1 stick, no comparison drag racing, auto will win. A comp should outrun a stock duracrap, if it's modded, or stick vs auto, then it's a toss up again, on who has more added power, either way stick will be at a disadvantage. It is designed for pulling, you lose boost between shifts hindering performance, and it's not like a cars stick with short throws either.

I've raced and slightly beat, and evenly tied a few stock duracraps with just my Van Aaken, 4" exhaust, BHAF and a shift kit, from a start and going up hills. And I've had a few modded duracraps pulling similar or smaller units, try to catch me going up hills with t.trailer hooked on also, and they couldn't keep up the hills with me, with my current setup.

If I do come across anybrand of truck that is much more modded than mine, then I might lose, but I might win, again it's how much you want to spend to make it go faster. Duracraps are pretty fast stock though, as compared to Cummins stock, and need a chip minimum to be able to compete. When racing lots depends on driver response, gearing, tire size, auto vs stick, weight differences, dually vs 3/4 ton, etc etc, etc. But I know I have the proven advantage of long life and reliability, with even a modded Cummins. That's My 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

FordSux, it was the older body style (i.e 2002?) model before they changed the headlights to the most current 06. It was black ext.cab lifted 3-4". Couldn't tell who was driving it, the windows were black as night. It was coming into Arlington by Fielder I believe. Yea I'm all about the longevity of the Cummins. HOWEVER, any red blooded male hates to lose. Therefore I believe I will be upgrading. Any experience w/the Mach 1.6's? Will I need to get a pusher pump? Will those tax my VP44?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

I've had experience with the older style mach 1.5's and believe me, they lay down some serious power. Smoke is very easily controlled. You might need a pusher pump but it just depends on what your fuel pressure is at now. And no, they shouldn't tax your VP44. The only thing that really taxes your vp44 is boxes that tap the wire and make it do things it wasn't really designed to do. All the injectors do is allow for more of the fuel that is being injected to actually get injected. Make sense?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

ouch, for the price of 1.6's, I can sell my box, get a comp, and a milder injector. Which is the better way to go?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 PM

your clutch probably wouldn't enjoy anything more than the EZ if you drive it hard....
Old 01-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fredw
there is no box to overcome the duracrap, only thing to do is pull over and let him buy
_______________________________--

fredw has it right let him go BUY and pay and pay and pay
Old 01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

Good one.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 AM

Duramax's pass me all of the time, I don't get bothered at all. I am getting better gas milage and have fewer problems, also I can work on my own truck, that I work so hard for. Dont fall into the hype. Testosterone is a curse and a blessing
Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 PM

keep in mind we do not need to get our fingers dirty, or pull wrenches, we flick a button or two... and can make over double our power

and for durabilty there are many now over 400k, how many modded cummins you know over that
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by fredw
keep in mind we do not need to get our fingers dirty, or pull wrenches,
That about sums it up.
Most Dmax owners that I have had the pleasure to meet would never think of getting dirty nor put a wrench to their own vehicle. First of all you can’t find any of the real engine components cause the engine bay is crammed full of "stuff". Yes the Dmax is a "Gentleman’s Truck" as I like to sometimes refer to them.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

400k= 40 injecters changed

Steve
Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

Another good one , although I doubt the "many over 400,000k" or "doubling power with a flip of a switch" statement(by you know who again) , not for most guys running them. As those engines have only been out since 2001. You do the math. Most guys put on 20-25,000 miles/year.

Because of the complicated crap on them, and the cramped underhood area, most people can't, or won't work on them even if they own them. You need to take it in for any type of repair or breakdown(not user friendly) or a simple strong design like the Cummins I-6. I worked enough on v-8 diesels to last me a lifetime .

We need to add a (BIG SHOVEL WITH DUNG ON IT) emoticon on our smiley board, so it can be used quite often with a certain persons postings.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 PM

Two buddy's of mine... one has a Ford Intertrashional, the other a GM DuraCrap. We seem to all get into these discussions all the time. Their trucks are newer have move stock power, but they should, their newer.
There was a article in Four Wheeler mag a while back comparing all the makes. All the lastest diesels. All stock... the Duraslow was the slowest and loudest. The Ford and Cummins tied in every catagory, except for styling. which both authors said they were ford men. SO? Any how... Stock for Stock the Cummins was better than the Duraslow. And we all know the Intertrashionals problems. I have a 2001 DC. In 2001, Duraslows were having piston burning issues...No need to race, I know mine is better. While towing the same weight(8500) up a mtn pass in colo... I passed both of them. The ford couldn't hang, the duraslow did until he started having cooling issues.

PS: send all your Ford friends to fordcummins.com. they will fix them up...
you will never see a Duracrap/powerjoke site for Dodges. hmmmm