General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dumped my diesel & it's YOUR fault...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW!! MY TRUCK RUNS GREAT!!!!!

Someone's gotta start it...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O dont' get me wrong my truck runs like a horse now, except for the little dead pedal every once in a while when I start from a dead stop there's nothing there....any clues I was thinking APPS, In the last Month I have installed new VP44, New lift pump, New Holley on the frame and reset apps....
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM

I can see getting rid of the truck if it's not needed or it's costing too much for fuel but to get rid of it 'cause you're scared of what might happen to it.......c'mon! These trucks easily go 300 to 400 thousand miles with minimal work, try that with a FO-CUSS! Get back with me in 400,000 miles and you can tell me how many times you've traded vehicles and I can tell you how hard the ol' Cummins is still pulling. There may come a time when I have to part with my beloved truck but it won't because I got skeerd! The only thing I'm scared of is that they'll stop making the Cummins and I'll be stuck driving a Powerstroke.....now thats scary!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tocapet
OK, here's the deal. After reading these forums about all the bad, expensive things that can happen to our diesel trucks, I finally traded mine off and got a little economy Ford Focus. I was too worried about KDP, VP44s, Trackbars, steering boxes, APP sensors and ball joints. Every day I would come to the forums and read about someone else having a problem. It got so I worried constantly that those things were about to happen to my truck. Now I can breathe a bit easier.
Then...

I'm ROTFLMAO
Someone's pulling our Dorsal fins, me thinks.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
It looks like most of the relialability problems with the Cummins came when they messed with a good thing and introduced the computer management for the engine and powertrain.

Looking through the 2nd and 3rd Gen sections I see a lot of problems where compared to the 1st. Gen mechanical system they don't or barely exist.

I am not ragging on the newer Dodge trucks but if I had the choice to have a new one or to keep mine, I would keep mine in a heartbeat.

It has never failed or left me stranded yet but I have only had it for 8 years and I drive it every day.

I think putting it into the mothball fleet would do more damage to it than if you keep it waxed and over inflated the tires and drove it everyday.

As far as problems the only thing I had to have repaired by a shop was the A727 transmission but only because it was easier to pay $1200.00 and get a warranty.

There is no part on my truck I could not repair with the tools I have at home. Once you understand the concept of how a system works they are easy to fix.

But sometimes it comes to a point where you have to do things you thought you would never do. In the 70’s I drove a small Honda car to work in West Hollywood for several months and left my full sized Chevy truck at home, spending about 6 hours a day sitting on the freeway looking under the trailers of the semi’s as they almost run over me that was enough and I have never gotten into anything small since.
Simply big trucks cannot see small cars even though they so nicely fit under the trailer.

But I would never sell my truck because I was afraid of what might happen because of something I have read on this website, I would be more afraid of getting into an accident in a little car after reading the newspaper every day or watching the evening news.

Anybody have a Nash Metro or a Yugo or how about an Amphicar?
http://www.amphicars.com/acfaq.htm
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM

You traded your Dodge for a Ford made in England!?
Least you could have done is waited for Ford to start selling the extremely popular British diesel Focus here in the US...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
It looks like most of the relialability problems with the Cummins came when they messed with a good thing and introduced the computer management for the engine and powertrain.

Looking through the 2nd and 3rd Gen sections I see a lot of problems where compared to the 1st. Gen mechanical system they don't or barely exist.
They had no choice, it's called "Emissions standards" that had to be met, and only with electronically controlled engines could that be accomplished. (And that was just a start.) I do hope that you'll be able to keep your truck, as in So Cal it could get really ugly really fast with all the regulations they are proposing. Buckle your safety belt - "you ain't seen 'nothin' yet...!"

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_sh...nia/index.html
Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane

I am not ragging on the newer Dodge trucks but if I had the choice to have a new one or to keep mine, I would keep mine in a heartbeat.

It has never failed or left me stranded yet but I have only had it for 8 years and I drive it every day.

I think putting it into the mothball fleet would do more damage to it than if you keep it waxed and over inflated the tires and drove it everyday.

As far as problems the only thing I had to have repaired by a shop was the A727 transmission but only because it was easier to pay $1200.00 and get a warranty.

There is no part on my truck I could not repair with the tools I have at home. Once you understand the concept of how a system works they are easy to fix.

But sometimes it comes to a point where you have to do things you thought you would never do. In the 70’s I drove a small Honda car to work in West Hollywood for several months and left my full sized Chevy truck at home, spending about 6 hours a day sitting on the freeway looking under the trailers of the semi’s as they almost run over me that was enough and I have never gotten into anything small since.
Simply big trucks cannot see small cars even though they so nicely fit under the trailer.

But I would never sell my truck because I was afraid of what might happen because of something I have read on this website, I would be more afraid of getting into an accident in a little car after reading the newspaper every day or watching the evening news.

Anybody have a Nash Metro or a Yugo or how about an Amphicar?
http://www.amphicars.com/acfaq.htm

Jim, I was just going to say......that based on my experience I don't really see a big problem with reliability of the newer "Cummins". It is usually some part of the Dodge truck body that gives us problems like the front end or the A/C blend doors. Or maybe the lift pump. But that is not really "Cummins" fault. I drive my truck everyday too and it has never left me stranded yet either (knock on wood).

I feel confident that my Cummins engine can go a half a million or more miles without issue. I just hope the Dodge truck body can hang in there with it!

I do completely agree with you about the feeling of not being safe in a small car. My truck doesn't get the best mileage (usually about 16-18)...but im not going to drive a puddle jumper so I can get 25. I feel safe in it.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 AM

I think the perceived safety of a driving a larger vehicle is not always the case. With cars you can stop and maneuver a lot faster to avoid an accident all together in some cases. Not to mention roll overs. I do agree that once hit, I'd much rather be in my truck though. Many times it's the other idiots on the road that cause accidents.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Jim, I was just going to say......that based on my experience I don't really see a big problem with reliability of the newer "Cummins". It is usually some part of the Dodge truck body that gives us problems like the front end or the A/C blend doors. Or maybe the lift pump. But that is not really "Cummins" fault. I drive my truck everyday too and it has never left me stranded yet either (knock on wood).

I feel confident that my Cummins engine can go a half a million or more miles without issue. I just hope the Dodge truck body can hang in there with it!

I do completely agree with you about the feeling of not being safe in a small car. My truck doesn't get the best mileage (usually about 16-18)...but im not going to drive a puddle jumper so I can get 25. I feel safe in it.

It is usually some part of the Dodge truck body that gives us problems like the front end or the A/C blend doors. Or maybe the lift pump. But that is not really "Cummins" fault.

I will agree with that, I was just lumping the truck into 1 category as a generation. The engines do appear to be solid; it is just all of the ancillary parts that are built up around it.

For a comparison go to your local Dodge dealer and try and get a part or ask the counter person to lookup the part number for gasket for your turbocharger or something, and then go to Cummins Cal Pacific or your local Cummins Dealer and ask the same.

Now look at the difference in the attitude of the counter person and the overall way that both shops are run, I found the people at Cummins were all professional in their mannerism while the mechanics at Dodge, were not it looked like they were just kids out of high school and when I ask them questions they should know the answer some did not even understand my language, but I am in Southern California.

My son has an 04 Ram with a Hemi that is only getting 14 MPG no matter how easy he drives it and it has been in the shop numerous times for the leaking evaporator, swishing water sound in the dash when he turns a corner, Transmission, and Mirrors falling off. He took it into the dealer for a problem and their way of fixing it was to reflash so the problem did not exist.

I am from the old school where I worked on the old 318, 903 Cummins, 2,3,4 cylinder, Inline 671, V871, 8V92, 12V92 Detroit’s Perkins and watched as the emission systems were slowly consuming the engines.

About the feeling of safety while in my dually, it is not just a feeling but a fact, I have been in several good accidents while in my trucks In 1999 while I had my 1982 C-30 6.2 Chevy I was at a stop light and I was rear ended by a full size 1998 C-10 Chevy at 65 MPH, I stopped him from 65-MPH to 0-MPH in less that 3 feet. My truck was loaded and weighed in around 9000 pounds I was able to stop him because of the massive weight and I was standing on the brakes.

Although I put my head through the back window and broke my back and got a Permente case of Post Concussion Syndrome I was able to walk away from the accident.

The drunk that had hit me had to be extricated from his truck using the Jaws of Life.

The engine of his truck was shoved into the passenger compartment and pinned him in the seat.

If I had been driving a small economy car there is little doubt I would have survived that day.

My son was able to drive my wrecked truck home as I went to the hospital.

The Insurance Company totaled my truck and this is when I bought my 1991 D-350 for $17,000.00 cash besides always wanting one since they were new I also bought it because it was still steel body and it was heavy.

Now I have my new truck and now it seems I have a Drunk magnet, because every single accident I have had except for 1 was a drunk driver.

Then a few years ago I was driving down the I-10 freeway #1 lane in Montclair going 70 MPH and all of the traffic comes to a dead stop so make a good panic STOP and as I am watching my mirror I call out to my family “He Is Not Stopping, HOLD ON” and I saw the guys face as he slams into the back end of me, eyes wide as pie plates as he bounces around his cab like a ping pong ball. WAM and then seconds later WAM again.

I had a Del Taco drink in my left hand and it went straight up and then back into my hand and it spilled on my leg.

After a few minuets we made our way across the freeway and off the side.

Total damages that day:
My truck:

Bent my rear Heavy Duty Chrome Bumper.
Cracked the corner of my Leer Fiberglass Shell.
Shoved the left side of my frame rail 3mm forward.
Dented my tailgate.
Scraped massive amounts of paint off from my Military Pintle Hitch.
Spilled my drink.

Hit Me:

Newish Toyota Pickup,
Hitch shoved engine rearwards, Totaled

Hit Him:

Newish Nissan Hard body he had just borrowed from his Dad.
Totaled.

So driving I my big truck has saved my life and the lives of my loved ones.

I do not think too many of the small cars could sustain a 70 MPH collision and continue on to their appointment.

I think it would be pretty hard to roll my dually over in a crash although a raised 4X4 would be a diffrent story.

Jim
Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Wow Jim, after reading your post I don't feel like I should always drive my truck. Those hard traffic jam stops on the freeway are the worst. LOTS of people simply don't realize how fast they need to slow down; usually due to driving too close to the car in front.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:03 AM

I'll say WOW too, Jim! You sound like a drunk magnet for sure!

Fortunately I haven't been in any wrecks in recent years and never with my current truck. But if somebody wants to run up rear end....I keep my Travel Trailer weight distribution hitch in place, mounted to the Putnam XDR receiver for anybody that wants to eat it.

Speaking of sudden stops, I have had to make a few. The newer 3rd gens have much better brakes........so I hear.....than the older trucks.

I agree completely with both of your posts on here in this thread....I just wanted to point out that the newer trucks "electronics" don't seem to be a problem with our Cummins Engines, making them a reliability problem. I guess if they did fail though.....it would involve more than getting out a few wrenches like on the older 12 valves.

Good luck and stay safe out there in Cali!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

shoulda researched more before you bought it... then you would have ended up with a 12v and had no worries!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a joke?? You honestly mean you sold your truck because of reading people's posts here asking for help with repairs? That's the absolute funniest thing I've heard all week!

Now, if you had said, "I really wanted to save money on gas.", well, then I couldn't bash your rationale, but to sell a vehicle that you like because you heard about some others having ball joint problems?? LOL!

On another note, I have to agree as far as the safety issue. No way I'll put my family in a ford focus, or any compact. I work in a Trauma center. I see what little cars cannot do to protect.

Here's an interesting piece of info: A recent major Trauma journal analyzed thousands of passenger vehicle accidents in the US, looking at numerous factors...how many airbags, side impact beams, curtain airbags, type of suspension, brakes, tires, ... You know the ONLY thing that was proven to improve your change of survival in a major accident: The mass of your vehicle. That was the only thing that mattered. Just food for thought. I'll pay a bit more in gas each month if my family stays safe. Just my .02
Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by MajikMD
...................On another note, I have to agree as far as the safety issue. No way I'll put my family in a ford focus, or any compact. I work in a Trauma center. I see what little cars cannot do to protect.

Here's an interesting piece of info: A recent major Trauma journal analyzed thousands of passenger vehicle accidents in the US, looking at numerous factors...how many airbags, side impact beams, curtain airbags, type of suspension, brakes, tires, ... You know the ONLY thing that was proven to improve your change of survival in a major accident: The mass of your vehicle. That was the only thing that mattered. Just food for thought. I'll pay a bit more in gas each month if my family stays safe. Just my .02

I agree completely. I was on the scene of an accident a few years ago where a lady was turning left and was "T-boned" in the PASSENGER SIDE DOOR by a speeding , ran red light, Dodge Durango. The poor lady was driving her Toyota Corolla and did not survive the wreck. Let me repeat, she was sitting in the driver seat...........and was struck in the PASSENGER side door and did not survive the wreck. The Durango was probably traveling in the 70-80 mph range. No doubt that was a tuff hit for any vehicle, but still. I feel confident I would have fared a little better than she did had my truck taken the same hit, instead of her Corolla.

My sister traded down from a Ford Taurus, then to a Ford Fusion, and now to a Corolla. I hate to see her drive such a small vehicle......but I can't change her mind. I just pray that she doesn't meet the same fate as the lady I mentioned above some day.

Quick Reply: Dumped my diesel & it's YOUR fault...