General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dump truck or dump trailer??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dump truck or dump trailer??

I have an opportunity to get as many loads of fill dirt as I want. Instead of paying someone 75.00 per load to haul it for me (12-15 mile round trip) Thought I might try to buy either a good used tandem axle dump truck or a goose neck dump trailer to haul behind either my 96 CTD or my 2010 4WD CTD. Both are 3/4 ton trucks.
A couple of questions or issues. From what I understand If I register it as a farm truck I don't need a CDL. Anyone from Texas know the specifics on this?
I do live on a farm and I would be hauling farm materials (dirt, cottonseed meal and/or compost)
Missed out on what looked to be a heck of a deal for a truck about a week back. Could buy a dump trailer instead to tow with the pickup but I worry that it may not hold up well?
Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I can't say down there, but around here, anytime I see a heck of a deal on a big dump, it is because it is going to take some serious money to make it safe.

A dump trailer might make more sense, you can find them around here ( 14-20 K GVW ) for 4-6K and they generally work well.

How many loads had you considered getting?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I can't say down there, but around here, anytime I see a heck of a deal on a big dump, it is because it is going to take some serious money to make it safe.

A dump trailer might make more sense, you can find them around here ( 14-20 K GVW ) for 4-6K and they generally work well.

How many loads had you considered getting?
100 plus!!
It's overburden from the quarry of a cement plant. I used to work there and I'm pretty close friends with the plant manager and quarry manager.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Whoa, I would probably consider the truck then, are you going to re-sell or for personal use ( makes more trips if selling )
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Whoa, I would probably consider the truck then, are you going to re-sell or for personal use ( makes more trips if selling )
Probably not. My house is built on a rock .8 acres of it. I mainly just want to cover it all with enough soil that grass will actually grow. And there are a few holes to fill in. there is another 30 acres that I can use to store up more to sell if I choose to though.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My vote is for the tandem dump trailer, (not a gooseneck) I bought a new one about 5 years ago and I've really used it for all kinds of things other than dumping stuff, I even haul my skid steer in it even though I have a trailer designed just for that. I would suggest getting a roll up cover up tarp for it, worth every penny to avoid fines when going to the dump or hauling light weight material. I made some removable high stake pocket sides for it to increase the volume when hauling light material.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM

I normally would say get a good GN dump trailer. But that amount of dirt is a lot. Even if you paid 15K for a dump truck, hauled all the loads, cleaned up the truck and got your 15k back, basically all you would have invested is time, fuel, and insurance.
$75 a load for only a 12-15 mile round trip seems kinda steep. might try finding another company to truck it.
Otherwise, Id be buying a truck and haul it yourself
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We recently brought in fill dirt and some gravel from a local gravel pit, maybe 4 miles round trip. $75 per load, overloaded tri-axle, including buying the material, fill or screened gravel same price.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by roughstock
I normally would say get a good GN dump trailer. But that amount of dirt is a lot. Even if you paid 15K for a dump truck, hauled all the loads, cleaned up the truck and got your 15k back, basically all you would have invested is time, fuel, and insurance.
$75 a load for only a 12-15 mile round trip seems kinda steep. might try finding another company to truck it.
Otherwise, Id be buying a truck and haul it yourself
This is also more my thinking.

That is a LOT of dirt.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 AM

As of today I have three one ton dual wheel dodge diesels and a dump truck. With all things considered (safety being the main one). I would not consider using a trailer for what you are talking about.The dump totally wins the vote (in my opinion).
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Red face

Shoulda said dump truck.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My vote is for a truck.....

Trailer will bring many "borrowers" forward....

Truck takes fuel and more skill to borrow..

Just my opinion, but borrowed trailers usually return worse for wear.....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
DTR Mom

first question is access. safety minded stuff.

for that weight of material, a ten wheeler really should be considered for economical load, safety, and stable operation on site.

1 ten wheeler= 8 six wheeler loads (small dump truck -chevy C60)
dual axle trailer dump is 7 loads, over level
1.5 cu yard dump box is 12 loads

convenience? finances? biggest consideration

small dump is non CDL and farm plates, trailer is a good re sale but will get beat up, second effort for grading too but can work right away and not hurt the bank account.

for me? Texas-the land of no rust? get a '77 ford dump and have a blast!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
first question is access. safety minded stuff.

for that weight of material, a ten wheeler really should be considered for economical load, safety, and stable operation on site.

1 ten wheeler= 8 six wheeler loads (small dump truck -chevy C60)
dual axle trailer dump is 7 loads, over level
1.5 cu yard dump box is 12 loads

convenience? finances? biggest consideration

small dump is non CDL and farm plates, trailer is a good re sale but will get beat up, second effort for grading too but can work right away and not hurt the bank account.

for me? Texas-the land of no rust? get a '77 ford dump and have a blast!
From what I can gather any dump with farm plates used for farm materials (dirt is a farm material???) is non CDL but I may be wrong.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
U need insurance for the truck, prob not needed for the trailer. Trailer is easier to store and sell if not being used. Cheaper to register a trailer.

Quick Reply: Dump truck or dump trailer??