General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

DTR's Truck Of the Month May 2004

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
DTR's Truck Of the Month May 2004

WOW where has the time gone?
That was a quick 4 weeks.
Beautiful weather has FINALLY arrived, and everyone seems to be washing Old Man Winter's residue off and polishing their Rams.
Our job gets tougher every month.
We LIKE that.........
Another difficult decision to pick only one winner out of all those beautiful trucks.
But here goes.......................

The members of the TOM committee, Dennis, Joel and Ed, along with our TOM sponsor
Forest City Diesel
are happy to announce that the winner of the DieselTruckResource.com TOM award for
May 2004
is:

Brad Kirkham
AKA
B-Kirk

Wow, what a surprise and honor. Most here probably don't know me because I don't post very often, but visit every day. About my truck, I purchased it new in 1994. It was Green with Tan interior, and had about every option offered back then. First mod was to lift it. Nobody made kits then, so I fabricated my own. Made a 2" body lift with steel spacers, and machined 2" coil spacers for front. Went with 16.5 X 8.25 Ultra rims and 37 X 12.50 Goodyear GS-A Radials. Goodyear was the only tire choice then, used only on the H1 Hummers. Added the roll bar and push bar from Mopar Performance. Truck was used in my excavating side job, and towed some heavy loads. Over the years, got its share of dings and scratches.

In 1998, I repaired all the marks, and painted it the present colors. Was also my first experience using Urethane paint. Found a complete Grey interior out of a 1998 Ram at a swap meet and switched it over. Did some minor engine mods at the time also. A #5 plate, 215 injectors, 4" straight exhaust, 16 CM2 housing with larger compressor wheel, and some timing changes.

The truck at this moment is once again apart for some more mods. I found that my 9 year old Ultra rims had developed some stress cracks from all the heavy towing. Swapped them out for some 17 X 9 Ultras. For tires, I went with 37 X 13.50 Mickey Thompson / Dick Cepek Fun Country II Radials. The tires are taller than 37", and 2" wider tread than my Goodyears, so I have to lift it 2" more. Had a custom spring pack made for the rear, and Skyjacker coils for the front. Also added the Dick Cepek Long Arm Kit. The rear axle is now a Dana 80 with disk brakes out of a 2002 Ram. Am currently swapping gears from the 3:54 to 4:10 and restacking the Trac- Lok clutch plates. Will post on how this all works out. Next on the list is twins. Already have most of the parts for that project.

Thanks to the TOM committee, and Forest City Diesel. I wouldn't want that job with all the choices in the Members Photos. Also to all the members that do post. Most of the decisions I made came from members own experiences, good and bad. That is what this site is all about. Again, Thanks

Brad

Congrats again Brad, your winner's plaque is on the way from our sponsor Forest City Diesel.

Well folks, another month has gone, another winner has been chosen, and the article assembled and posted,........time to start searching for the next TOM winner.
Get those pics uploaded in the Member's photo section.
You could be the next DTR Truck of the Month.

Dennis, Joel & Ed
Your TOM Committee not the 3 stooges
Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 PM
DPG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Brad!! That's a sharp truck! You did a beautiful job on the paint. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be twisting your arm to help me repaint my rig.

Congratulations again. That's one great truck!

DeWain
Old 04-30-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Beautiful truck. Must feel good to have done it yourself.

Dave
Old 04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great looking truck.

Welcome to the exclusive TOM family.

(December 2003 alumni here)

phox
Old 05-01-2004, 07:32 AM

Very nice looking truck Brad !!! Your hard work sure shines through. I am sure the new mods will look great.

PISTOL
Old 05-01-2004, 12:08 PM

Brad, if I may call you by your first name although I really haven't met you; what a gorgeous looking truck! You can paint my truck ANYTIME you want to!
I can't believe you would of painted over the beautiful green though! Oh well. Don't get me wrong...my 93 is red and grey with grey interior.
Again, nice truck. Defintely eye candy!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Brad, Sweet Truck
I like the paint and like the home fab lift! I also like the wheels (i guess im kinda partial to them, have a set of my own), i hope mine don't develope stress cracks too. Also welcome to the TOM club! May 04
Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM

How did the 98 insides fit you 94? Was thinking about doing that upgrade here in the not to distant future.
DM01
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 AM

Thanks guys for all the compliments. It is slowly getting put back together. It's tough to get any free time to work on it at the moment.
DM01, I used the same dash, just painted it Gray. The steering column was changed in 98, didn't know if wire harness would plug in. Interior came out of a 1/2 ton 2WD. Took the easy way out on that area. Had the paint for the A-Pillar pod anyhow.

Brad
Old 05-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Very nice.