General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 06:37 PM
cp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Diesel Fuel Additives

Why is it that truck fleets don't seem interested in cashing in on the benefits of running additives?<br><br>Why is it that no engine manufacturer specifies the use of additives if they could avert injection system problems by doing so?<br><br>Why is it that we believe the oil companies make lube oil that functions perfectly with no additives, yet their fuel oil needs help from a bottle?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

CP, It all comes down to personal choices.

I use DFAs 'cuz it gives me peace of mind that I'm doing all I can to help the Engine/Fuel system give me many thousands of trouble free miles.

If you decide not to use 'em,......hey,.... THIS IS AMERICA.......You have the freedom to choose. ;D

Thanks to the Vets &amp; those still serving who made us free, and help keep the &quot;Boogieman&quot; outside the door.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use DFA's for two reasons:<br><br>1) Cause I want too.<br><br>2) Cause I can.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 PM
yz

Good reasons ;D -Anthony
Old 07-04-2003, 04:18 PM
cp

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=8;threadid=16632;start=15#156373 date=1057290067]
I use DFA's for two reasons:

1) Cause I want too.

2) Cause I can.
[/quote]

Well, I guess that's better than repeating some straight-from-the-can sales-pitch about the benefits of using them.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:00 PM

&quot;Why is it that no engine manufacturer specifies the use of additives if they could avert injection system problems by doing so?&quot;<br><br>To cover against the wide variety of poorly made additives, specifically those that contain alcohol. Alcohol can damage your fuel injection system.<br><br>&quot;Why is it that we believe the oil companies make lube oil that functions perfectly with no additives, yet their fuel oil needs help from a bottle?&quot;<br><br>Engine oil manufacturers have the ability to ensure tight quality controls and homogenous product. Diesel fuel quality across our country varies greatly and is quite poor. I have mulitple laboratory fuel analysis reports, and if anyone is truly interested, I can email them the results. Many of the fuel problems are not to be blamed on big oil however, lots of the contamination occurs in delivery, at the terminals, or most commonly, with a poorly maintained tank at the station.<br><br>The assertion that a busy fuel station/truckstop will have better fuel is an absolute truckers myth. Regardless of how often the tank is used and refilled at the truck stop, it could be completely dirty/microbe contaminated, full of water, corroded, the station may never change the filters, etc. I personally tested an amoco truckstop that sees constant diesel traffic, and a local texaco that sees sporadic traffic. The amoco was absolutely filthy. The fact of the matter is, if you haven't tested your fuel source, you DO NOT know if it's good or not, you only make subjective assumptions. <br><br>The reason I use additives is because I am not always able to fill up at my tested/verified clean fuel source. At around 3 cents per treated gallon, I find additives are cheap peace of mind. There really is no down side to using them...<br><br>It all boils down to whether or not you believe the additives work. Try this folks. Get 2 glass jars, fill them with diesel fuel. Add some fuel additve containing anti-gel, such as Stanadyne Perf Formula, Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst, or Powerservice DFS(diesel fuel supplement, as opposed to the summer formulation, Diesel Kleen). Put them both in your freezer and a thermometer. You will be able to see for yourself which one clouds and gels first.. ;D
Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Administrator

I quit buying fuel at one of the bigger places mentioned above when I found out they were keeping too much fuel in their water tanks. Had the truck shut down twice on me and don't always rely on that little WIF light to come on. Mine didn't either time.<br>Diesel fuel stored for any amount of time or subjected to moisture will grow funny things in it believe it or not. We had to pay big bucks for an outside contractor to come in and clean up two of our 100000 gallon diesel tanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:38 AM

DieselDude, thats exactly what I'm talking about in regards to poor station maintenance and the contamination that can occur during storage. The Amoco truck stop that I tested, had a severe microbe contamination, much like you're talking about when you said the fuel would 'grow funny things in it'. However, this station turns over fuel VERY quickly. Residual free water that has settled to the bottom of the tank however has not been removed. I would guess theres a nice layer of algae and &quot;funk&quot; on the walls and bottoms of that tank..<br><br>Folks, I'm not in the business of selling them, but am an avid student(hobby) of diesel technology, vehicles, and fuel.. which is why I'm **** enough to test my fuel, and sleep better knowing the clean, good stuff is in my tank If anyone wants the link to the fuel testing lab, email me. Tests are about $50 and include Cetane, dirt content, water content, specific gravity, etc, etc. No different than taking an oil analysis, just fill the little container and mail it off...<br><br>I do contend that if you find a clean, high cetane fuel source, you really don't need fuel additives. I like the extra protection and benefits they provide so I use them all the time, but they are certainly not necessary if you have *verified* good fuel.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Wonder how the bio-diesel holds up under storage and with water contamination?<br>Any ideas on that?<br><br>DD4X4
Old 07-06-2003, 09:43 PM

Dieseldude, as you saw in my pic, I have dessicating breathers/filters on my drums to prevent any moisture from entering or dirt particles. Biodiesel is good for storage for up to a year or so, assuming it's sealed properly. I've burned thru 9 fifty-five gallon drums so far, and a few times the third drum sat for a few months. Never a problem. The stuff is great. Try it for a few tanks, you'll be hooked.

I like the fact that I'm not supporting foreign oil, reducing emissions, AND running something thats better for my engine.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Lightman link=board=8;threadid=16632;start=15#157257 date=1057545782]<br>I like the fact that I'm not supporting foreign oil, reducing emissions, AND running something thats better for my engine.<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is what I am after too. Not to mention it keeps our farmers busy which is a good thing. I would not mind paying a little more to help out our own people you know. Just saw on the Farm Report this very morning about an official terminal opening up un Ill or In, can't remember which. I am looking for some bio stickers to help promote it in this area. Have you seen any yet?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:00 PM

There are plenty out there. I have one of those black ovals with white writing, like the got milk ad, that says Got Biodiesel? Those were a one time run tho. Here are some, cheap too.<br><br>Bio Stickers for a Buck<br>
Old 07-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Just sent an e-mail asking where to send the money.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>DD4X4
Old 07-06-2003, 10:27 PM

Not sure if this guy still has any....<br>Got Biodiesel?<br><br>