Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cure for the common foam???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by edwinsmith
Doesn't cutting off the foam cut down on the amount of air in your fuel? I thought that you needed all the air you could get? Otherwise why have a turbo.

Edwin
For people who like to fill up to the brim foamless suggest you install an aquarium pump in the fuel tank to make up for lack of air in the fuel.
Since I don't like waiting around for no foam I just fill up till the 2nd click and call it good enough, it's not like the stations with diesel are 400 miles apart.
The big truck nozzles don't foam as bad.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tried it today and they have a goofy pump ,you pull the lever and it takes about a second before it starts to pump.and it didn't work,they also must have it setup for fast fills cuz man does that fuel come out fast,might try the big rig pump tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally posted by KATOOM
Am I to understand that everytime the pump clicks off and I top off I'm really short a few, or more, gallons?
By filling to the brim, I get another five to six gallons after the first shut-off...Ben
Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 PM

I've noticed the big nozzles don't foam as much either. Also ... irritates the Ford & Chey guys that have to use the regular nozzle.

Now way I am putting my ugloved hand outside and into a stream of fuel to test this method. Called contact frostbite this time of year even with underground storage tanks.
I got rid of most of the foam issue by .... uh ... cleaning ... the green roll over ball in the fill neck.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Fueling around
I got rid of most of the foam issue by .... uh ... cleaning ... the green roll over ball in the fill neck.
I wasn't aware of this piece in the fill neck....what does it do?
Do most of you guys fill to the (near) top of the filler neck?....no harm done?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Your finger doesn't actually go into the stream of fuel.

Next time you're at the pump, look at the bottom side of the nozzle.
About 1/2" from the end will be a small hole {sensing port}, that's what you cover with your finger.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Moose10
I wasn't aware of this piece in the fill neck....what does it do?
It's called a roll over ball, it's there to keep the fuel from spilling out if your truck is upside down. Easy to pop out by removing the fill hose, result is faster fill up especially at the big truck fuel pumps.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Moose10
In the summertime, I fill all the way up the pipe, which gives me an additional gallon or so. Not in the winter. I'd rather have it in the tank and not up the pipe which isn't as insulated.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

I haven't read all the posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

Beware on the 98.5 and 99 models that the fuel float can get stuck in the full position, also causing sending unit failures. I don't know if other year trucks are involved or not.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by infidel
It's called a roll over ball, it's there to keep the fuel from spilling out if your truck is upside down. Easy to pop out by removing the fill hose, result is faster fill up especially at the big truck fuel pumps.
With a big nozzle at the truck stop I can fill in 2 minutes flat. I really dislike standing next to the truck any longer than necessary on a cold winter day.

I keep the ball nice and clean ..... and safely in my toolbox.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Fueling around
With a big nozzle at the truck stop I can fill in 2 minutes flat. I really dislike standing next to the truck any longer than necessary on a cold winter day.
You must be using the first notch on the nozzle, when I use the big truck pumps it takes more like 45 seconds to pump 30 gallons, very little to no foam. Can't do that with the ball in there.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by infidel
You must be using the first notch on the nozzle, when I use the big truck pumps it takes more like 45 seconds to pump 30 gallons, very little to no foam. Can't do that with the ball in there.
Well Bill;
I guess both of us have no *****?!
2 minutes is total elapsed time from stopping, using intercom to get the pump turned on and fueling.
First time I fueled after removing the ball, my wife even noticed the decreased time.

-John
Old 01-23-2005, 08:12 PM

Do any of you remember the little black plastic adapter they sold in auto parts years ago? It was when they first started selling unleaded gas. You slipped it over the larger leaded nozzle so you could pump the cheaper leaded gas in the unleaded vehicle. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do but I was a broke most of the time teenager back then. Anyway, I still have one of those somewhere. Gonna try it on the diesel nozzle if I can find it.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by bluebull
I haven't read all the posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

Beware on the 98.5 and 99 models that the fuel float can get stuck in the full position, also causing sending unit failures. I don't know if other year trucks are involved or not.
I've had that problem several times - especially when I used the pumps for the big rig's - and when I'd shake the truck a bit to get the "extra" air out that was trapped (only do this for long distance trips - it sux to have 4:10's sometimes! ). Normally if I 'intentionally' hit a hard bump or the next fill up will set it moving again. When this first started happening, I had to learn how far I could go before I got my usual fillup...
Old 01-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fueling

Sorry didn't read them all so this maybe usless. When filling the last amount put the handle next to the truck so that the fuel is flowing out up hill out of the nozzle . And of coarse you have to shake the truck many times to berp the baby.

Quick Reply: Cure for the common foam???