General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins Vs. Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins Vs. Powerstroke

Hey guys i know this is a dodge site and i know this has probobly already been done but which is the better motor the 06 cummins or the 06 powerstroke. I test drove both and the cummins has more low end and the powerstroke has more top end.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:40 PM

I work on both engines. cummins are a lot easier to wrench. ever tried to change a down pipe on a powerstroke, other mechanics will know. also powerstroke has several recalls on their engines, ie. head gasket, fuel lines just to name a few. But out here in Hawaii fords a much more popular...go figure.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the Ford, it will make a good trade in on a Dodge in 6 months.

The Cummins is a proven performer, PS is not. The lastest and greatest PS has not been around long enough to tell. If you want to join the hords of guinea pigs knock yourself out.

I read somewhere the 03 & 04 PS's had over 70 SB's issued. Enough said.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:00 PM

The ideal truck would be a Superduty with the Cummins in it! I know it's been done, just wish I could by one off the lot! My opinion is the Cummins engine and 48RE trans. is a better and more reliable setup than the Powerstroke judging by my friends and my own trucks. However I'd have to say the Ford is a better built truck than my Ram, not that there are major problems with the Dodge just alot of stupid little things my Fords never did, like leaking water, corroded plugs, and OEM harnesses shorting out against ground straps.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Could be like our ford 1 ton SRW gasser at work. Rearend sags real easy. The tailgate broke both the linkage rod and release handle. Routinley revs over 3000RPM to attempt to get out of its own way. Idiot light is always on saying the door is ajar. rattle in the B pillar. Keys can be pulled out of the ignition while running. Or my personal favorite is the lovely smell of antifreeze. All with less than 37K miles on here.
My dodge so far. Torn door seals. Rattle in drivers side mirror. one broken coat hanger from someone grabbing it to climb into the truck. All in just over 24K miles. Dealer has parts on order. I will keep my inferior designed dodge and let someome else have the luxurious ford interior.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:59 PM

Just say no to PSD, way too many issues in the last 3 years.

Check out the TSBs on each engine, no contest.

Not a Ford hater just hate to see good folks pay good money for an engine that doesn't measure up.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 AM

You answered your own question. The dodge had more power down low in the RPM. That means it is better for towing. This is what the truck is made for. My buddy has an 04 Powersmoke and while yes it is "faster" then my truck I rather pull a load with mine.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:59 AM

I've had a ton of problems with my Co work truck, altough it's a 1999 7.3. The reason I bought a Dodge is because the ctd is a proven engine! It's proved it's longevity and it's torque for towing. The Ford and the Dmax maybe faster, but with the ctd you'll get better fuel mileage and the engine will out last the competition!

Gary
Old 02-12-2006, 10:00 PM

But whatever you do - do not - do not - do not - suggest to a Ford guy who's dissasatisfied with the 6.0 that they might really like a Cummins! I did that at the Chicago Auto Show - and wow!!!! You would think I had just accused him of something!

My simple response to his superlative-filled retort was simply "My truck does not define who I am." Enough said, purchase what you like, but remember that there are good risks to take and others that are not so good....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 PM

What ya really want but don't know it is a nice 12 valve cummins. Then with the money saved have a pro pump up the interior to leather and soundproof it etc just like the new trucks. With the 10,000 dollars left over from that bomb the 12 valve a little then with whats left after that buy a big plasma Tv. Then throw a block party- catered of course...

(sorry could'nt resist)
Big Jimmy
Old 02-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by mattsdiesel06
Hey guys i know this is a dodge site and i know this has probobly already been done but which is the better motor the 06 cummins or the 06 powerstroke. I test drove both and the cummins has more low end and the powerstroke has more top end.
Ask this same question over here, http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

I think you will be surprised on the response.

To answer your question, Cummins.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Any one that knows any thing about p/u diesels knows that the most reliable motor is the proven Cummins, unfortunately we have a lot of newbies coming over from the gas side that don't really know anything about diesels and are going on past history of the truck manufacturers. What they don't know is that all diesels are built by outside vendors and have no relation with the truck that they are in. What I can't believe is how Ford continues to sell the 6.0 in numbers even when it is has history as an unreliable motor! Go figure !!!!!!!!!!! Most Ford owners don't know that their motor is built by Navistar and GM uses an Izusu diesel.Most if not all Dodge owners know that their motor is built by Cummins.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Talking

In the past 6 years I've owned a 00 F-350 7.3 Ltr, 01 Dodge
5.9 CTD, 01 Ford F-350, 04 Dodge 3500, CTD, 05 F350 6.0 Ltr, AND now a 06 Dodge 3500 CTD. ALL the Fords were "Oil leakers", lotsa "re-flashes" and way too much time at the dealers!

ALL the Dodges I've owned have been (knock on Wood) trouble free..except the 01..it had a Transmission leak at 200 miles.

Bottom line: If ya don't mind having your truck tied-up at the Dealer for repairs..buy a Ford, it's a nice Truck wrapped around a lousy engine... OR get yerself a Dodge..an "acceptable type Truck" wrapped around a GREAT engine.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by manganos
You answered your own question. The dodge had more power down low in the RPM. That means it is better for towing. This is what the truck is made for. My buddy has an 04 Powersmoke and while yes it is "faster" then my truck I rather pull a load with mine.
I'll probobly get flamed but arent diesel trucks made for towing? who cares if it is faster. all you get is a truck that will make it to the dealer faster to get something fixed. cummins can be fast (all of you know that) but it will still be reliable fast powerstroke = faster breakage. I don't see the point of buying a $50k paper weight. EVERY person I know hates the 6.0 in their trucks. they all wish they would have kept the 7.3. They don't call ford fix or repair daily for nothin.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
I'll probobly get flamed but arent diesel trucks made for towing? who cares if it is faster. all you get is a truck that will make it to the dealer faster to get something fixed. cummins can be fast (all of you know that) but it will still be reliable fast powerstroke = faster breakage. I don't see the point of buying a $50k paper weight. EVERY person I know hates the 6.0 in their trucks. they all wish they would have kept the 7.3. They don't call ford fix or repair daily for nothin.
Posts like this don't really help, especially when "fix or repair daily" didn't make the 6.0.... as it's been said, navistar did. Luckily, most informed members know this and are keeping the responses subjective as to who makes the motor...
anyway, i am in the same situation. we have an 05 6.0 that has had no problems whatsoever (25,000mi). i am thinking of replacing my 02 7.3 (which is chipped etc. with no problems for 80k) with a new CTD or 6.0. i like the 6.0 a lot but am not positive its the motor i want in my next truck (power doesnt really come on until 2k). i know the cummins is proven etc. but what i am concerned about is how the trucks themselves hold up vs. the motor. the 5 speed auto is awesome though. i am interested to hear what everyone else has to say about this... just thought i'd throw out my limited experience with our 2005 6.0.
regards,
chase
on edit: my close friend has an 04 CTD HO with crazy larry, mcleod twin disc, 150gph FASS, AFE stage II, straight pipe, etc. and has only had one problem- he had to have 6 injectors replaced right after he got it for leaking.

Quick Reply: Cummins Vs. Powerstroke