General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins Engine Plant Test Mules / Trucks.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Cummins Engine Plant Test Mules / Trucks.......

Anyone on this board seen any on the roads recently ?
I commute 57 miles one way to work......from just southeast of Berea, KY to Lexington, KY five days a week. I get on I-75 North at the 77 milemarker and exit at the 104 milemarker. During my morning commute, I get on I-75 around 7:05 to 7:10 am every morning. Recently, I've seen heading south some mornings (fairly frequently) a pair of Bright White 4x4 RAM's in either a 2500 or 3500 SRW (can't tell---de-badged) 4 door with a black steel flatbed and round auxillary fuel tank (looks like a 55 gallon barrel laying on its side) pulling a 20+4 or 20+5 gooseneck flatbed trailer with a huge plexi-glass style windscreen the width of the trailer and probably about 6' to 8' in height. One truck had a Rumble Bee hood scoop; both trucks had lighted "****" style towing mirrors and a vinyl bug cover on the front end as well. One evening, I was heading home (southbound) around 6:20 pm and was able to at least determine they had IN plates.....no MI "manufacturer" plates as I originally suspected....therefore, that's why I think they're Cummins Engine Plant Test Trucks. I was hoping one of the guys would need fuel along my route...I was going to question him intensely if he did pull off !

Greg
Old 11-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is exactly what they are. I see them quite often. They originate from a building at the northwest corner of I65 and State road 58 near Columbus In. One is a 2500, the other a 3500 single rw. They are in and out in spurts. The trailers can be seen parked at different times at spots all over Columbus when not in use. I have seen Durango's leaving black smoke as well as a couple of F150's and a Blazer a while back. I always look when going thru the overpass intersection as you never know what may be smokin. That is only a few miles from my house......