General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

The Cummins to come

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by purduepurdy

How am I wrong?

"The Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine is available in Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty pickup trucks. It offers more horsepower, more torque, and enables 2010 emissions compliance while delivering these power/torque increases."

2010 emissions, aka Tier IV calls for a reduction of NOx emissions. Try reading the sites you quote before calling someone out.
Click on the 6.7 link in the quote above, and you'll see:

"The Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup with the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine offers outstanding horsepower, and torque, while enabling 2010 emissions compliance in 2007, a full three years ahead of the requirements. "
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I read something about a ford built diesel called Scorpion or something.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM

What exactly is urea injection? I guess I'm behind the curve
Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Click on the 6.7 link in the quote above, and you'll see:

"The Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup with the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine offers outstanding horsepower, and torque, while enabling 2010 emissions compliance in 2007, a full three years ahead of the requirements. "
So how am I WRONG? I said, "From what I am reading the current 6.7 does meet the Nox requirements for 2010." Anyway you cut it dude, I said it was emissions compliant.

mcolectd

Here is something: that might help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec

BlueTec is just a name for urea injection I think Mercedes started up.

"The BlueTec system will use two catalytic converters specifically targeting NOx. The first converter traps the NOx, and later releases it to the second converter which then converts it to nitrogen (N2) and water (H2O). This will make a diesel car legal in 45 states. But to make it pass the more stringent regulations of California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont, AdBlue (NH4) will have to be introduced into the system, making the conversion more complete.

The whole exhaust system would work like so:

A Diesel oxidation catalyst reduces the amounts of carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HC) released from the exhaust.
A DeNOx catalytic converter begins a preliminary removal of oxides of nitrogen.
A particulate filter traps and stores soot particles, burning them off when the filter gets full.
If the above are not sufficient to meet the exhaust specifications, a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter will take the remaining nitrogen oxides and convert them to nitrogen and water. AdBlue will be injected into the exhaust gas stream to enable the conversion."