General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cummins 4BT questions...dieselcruiserhead?

Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins 4BT questions...dieselcruiserhead?

I'm new here but I'm learning a lot about diesels in general, and I'm trying to get more info on the 4BT because I'm considering swapping it into my FJ-40 Land Cruiser. I've read the posts from dieselcruiserhead about his swap in the FJ-55-that's what initially gave me the idea. His posts on Pirate4x4 gave me a lot of info, but I had a few engine specific questions that I'm sure some of the diesel gurus here would have the answers to. First off, once I find a 4BT in a truck, what do I want to take with me? How much wiring is really involved in the engine itself? I read somewhere that the 4BTs were only computer controlled after sometime in the mid '90s-does anyone know the exact year so I can narrow my search? Also, are some years better than others in terms of reliability? What about the belt driven accessories (alternator, power steering pump, etc...) can I pick up replacements at Autozone or are they high $$$ Cummins parts? I do plan to install power steering in the truck so I'll need that pump, if possible I'd like to install a 140 amp alternator, and a York A/C compressor for onboard air. I know that dieselcruiserhead installed an NV4500, but I remember seeing something about the SM465. Since the only road use my truck is really going to see is quick 30 min runs to the shore and the trails I'm not too concerned about an overdrive gear and the granny low on the 465 is awesome. Would there be anything special I'd have to do in order to bolt up the SM465-(different clutch components, pilot bearings, etc...)? Now the turbo. Hopefully the turbo on the engine will be in good shape, but does anyone know if a Garrett T3 would be a suitable replacement? I happen to have one totally rebuilt that was on a car for about 1000 miles. The T3 was on a 2.3L Volvo gasser-I know the 4BT is 3.9L, so would it be too small? Another concern I have about the turbo is water. Most of the time I'll be 'wheeling in the New Jersey Pinelands. The pines trails are mostly sand/clay with very little in the way of real mud, but when it rains the lowlying areas of the trails flood out and if you want to get where you need to go you have to do some U-Boat 4 wheeling. I'm concerned about the turbo/manifold cracking if they're too hot when they come in contact with water. Should I be? Finally, I understand there's a lot being said about the noise/vibration from this motor. To what extent could a good muffler reduce this noise, and what else could I do to minimize it if anything? I plan to run my truck with no top or doors, but I could certainly install some sound proofing around the hood/firewall/fenderwells. I just don't want to come home deaf after a day of 'wheeling. Anyway, that's all for now, any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 03-23-2005, 10:13 PM

^bump...anybody?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wiring - almost none. Electronics didn't start until '98. All you need is power for the starter and the shutdown solenoid, the stock wiring for the starter and ignition coil will handle that nicely.

Accessories - Power steering pump is gear driven and should be included with the engine, any truck application you find a 4B in would have power steering. There's a good article in the 1st gen tech facts section about installing a Leece-Neville heavy truck alternator, that info is relevent to the 4B as well. If you want to get really trick you can install an air compressor in the accessory drive right below the injection pump. You're unlikely to fine a 4B with an air compressor, but there are plenty of 6B's out there that you can rob from. It would make the whole package tighter for easier swapping, so it's worth thinking about.

Turbo - The Garret is too small, I'd suggest an HY-35 off a '01 or '02 automatic. It will give quick spool up and plenty of air to keep EGT under control while slogging through sand. You are right to be concerned about water, I'd make a splash shield to keep water from splashing up on the turbo and try to avoid submerging it. Idling across a ford is not likely to cause a problem since EGT would be down around 400 degrees, what you want to avoid is water splashing up on the turbo while you're blasting through a mudhole at WOT.

Noise/vibration- Go to a heavy truck parts dealer and get the biggest muffler you can fit under the truck. That will deal with the exhaust noise. Set the idle as high as you can stand it, at least 800 RPM. The 4B and the 6B both vibrate pretty good at idle, the slower it idles the worse it is. Commercial applications typically idle at 600 to save fuel, Dodges idle at 700-750 so you can see out the mirrors while you sit at a stop light. Insulation on the hood and fenders will take care of a lot of the diesel clatter, also staying on top of valve adjustment will help. Getting an older 4B with the VE injection pump like a 1st gen will help as well. The VE pump advances timing with RPM, unlike the P7100 which has fixed timing. This means that the VE pump has retarded timing at idle/low RPM so it runs with less diesel knock.

I don't know about the transmission questions. One of the 4x4 boards could probably help with that.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM

I've got a BJ40 diesel on it's way here from Costa Rica. See my gallery.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Wiring - almost none. Electronics didn't start until '98. All you need is power for the starter and the shutdown solenoid, the stock wiring for the starter and ignition coil will handle that nicely.
****, why didn't I start fooling around with diesels years ago? If there's one thing I hate about working on cars it's ignition systems...hehe. Thanks a lot for the info Hey ds1rider, that BJ-40 looks super clean! My dad bought a '78 FJ (in red ironically) and the only time it looked that good was the day he drove it off the lot! Have they done a lot of resto work to it or has it just been kept really nice? Of course it's never seen road salt so that's a big plus. Anyway, it's gonna be a long process getting the 4BT in but hopefully it'll happen shortly after I graduate.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ds1rider
I've got a BJ40 diesel on it's way here from Costa Rica. See my gallery.
Wow, that is sweet.
Will you be able to license the LC for the street?

MikeyB
Old 03-25-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks guys. It should come into Miami in a couple weeks, then were taking it to Atlanta for a big tune up. Guy replaces all the gaskets, belts, brakes, bearings, etc... It has around 65K miles, and is about 95% rust free, and all original. I'll try to put some more pics on the gallery soon. Can't wait till it comes in finished. (should be first of May) -George
Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM

oh yeah, it'll be street legal with 25-30 claimed mpg's
Old 03-26-2005, 06:17 AM

Posted some pics of it in my gallery.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ds1rider,
Very nice. Gotta love those FJs!

BTW, how did you come across the LC?

MikeyB
Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 AM

Thanks Mike. We found a guy in Atlanta that goes to Costa Rica and Nicaragua every once in a while, brings them up, and gives them a pretty extensive tune up.