General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Considering Extended Warranty For My 05 Dodge Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Extended Warranty For My 05 Dodge Cummins

I've heard about getting an extended warranty off the internet, and also just going to the Dodge dealer and buying one.

Some folks have said that if those warranty outfits that are on the internet, go "belly-up", your stuck with a monetary loss, plus no extended warranty. Also, I've heard that sometimes the dealers aren't to co-operative about these extended warranties.

Do most of the Dodge dealers sell an extended warranty thats under-written by the same company?

Anyway, I just have my factory 3 year warranty, but I have a 6 year loan, and would like to have that last 3 years of the truck loan covered with a decent warranty. I do have the 7-70 from Chrysler, so I wonder if my extended warranty wouldn't be to unreasonably priced?

What costs am I looking at, and what extended warranty companies have you folks used, and been satisfied with their services, and their relationships with your Dodge dealers? I want my Dodge dealer to have a trouble-free relationship with whatever warranty company I choose, and also a company that's will stay solvent.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 PM

We get solicited at least once a month for extended warranties for our vehicles, so you know it is a profitable business. Most so called extended warranties are actually insurance policies with a slew of conditions and exclusions, and are a good way to p*** away your hard earned cash. Most of them also have substantial deductibles.

The dealers and others selling these things make a fat profit doing so. If you have a lemon, maybe, just maybe it would work out to your advantage in the end, but you would be the exception.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM

It worked out for me on my Tahoe, but I had to fight tooth and nail to get it done. I suspect that they won't cover u joints and ball joints. That would be my biggest reason for getting one.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My previous truckwas a v10 superduty, with 2.5" lift and 35s and every thing you could do to the engine except supercharge or no2. I got 2 new trannys (5spd) a new flywheel, pressureplate, cat, rear driverside hub, ball joints, iac valve, and maybe a few other things, all done with no questions asked. I know that this is fords warranty not dc but I think it depends more on your dealer than anything else, we have bouth probably 30 trucks from our dealer and what ever we need he does it with out hesitation, heck I could probably by a truck a LITTLE cheaper somewere else but my dealer treats me so good I cant afford to. So needless to say when I got my dodge from the same quy I got the biggest warrany they had and at $1600 factored into the payments it didnt hurt much at all and he also told me the dc covered at least 3 times as many parts as the ford so I got it. Oh, he also sold me this warrany knowing I planned on lifting, chipping, and doing anything else I could to the truck. Just remember its not what ya know its who ya know.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:39 PM

I bought the extended warranty on my 05 from Chrysler.. The truck came with the 3/36 - 7?/70 power train and 7?/100 on the motor..

I wasnt worried aboutthe engine warranty but my previous Dodge durango I had to have 5 power window motors replaced.. 380 ea and the heater door hinge tab broke causing the AC to blow hot air. that was over $1000.00 in labor to remove the dash and fix.. Extended warranty paid off on the last Durango so I bought it again.

Just concerned about the truck falling apart around the engine...

Gerry
Old 10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Banned

Don't waste your money. The only thing extended warranty saved me on was my AC compressor that went out at 36,000 miles or so. The ball joints according to the dealer were covered under the cummins warranty, not dodges. Everything else I've taken back to them during the extended warranty period (and for the most part the regular warranty period) I've either had to fight to get fixed or flat ou was refused because of some BS reason.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 AM

My last truck was a GMC, when I bought it, it had 32,000 mi. on it. The dealer offered me a 36,000 / 3 year warranty just like the truck was new (warranty through GM), only catch... it cost $1100.00. Thought it over that night and got it the next day when I went to pick up the truck.

Over the next three years I got a altenator, water pump, intake manifold gasket replaced (coolant leak), and rebuilt transmission. Plus rental cars paid for during all the repairs.

Even though this time I will know how the truck was taken care of and driven from day one, I plan on keeping this truck a very long time and things do wear out. Or wear our sooner than they ought to because they weren't assembled quite right. (Ya know, don't buy a vehicle built on a monday or friday!!)

It buys a little peace of mind I suppose.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 AM

I dont know about newer trucks,but in my 30 plus years of owning stuff that breaks and costs lots to fix it would be worth it. I despise dealers,salesmen,and being ripped off, but considering what one small repair could cost its worth it. Seems these days if you research a particular vehicle and find common failure things that should be recalls or made good by the builder it just wont happen unless people are dying left and right from the defect.This leaves you to fix them at your cost which sucks. out of my 3 CTD I have suffered near every failure youll read about here. We own several bikes, every time I do some research on something it seems what I was reading about happens the next day. Latest SNAFU, frozen front brake calipers on one of the bikes. A well known problem,potentially deadly,yes. MFG willing to address it? NO.
I do see why folks buy new every 3-6 years or when the warranty runs out these days.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM

i bought the extended warranty on mine i have not used it so far. If i could do it over again i would not buy it.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM

FWIW, when I bought my new truck from what is the most straight forward no bull dealer I have ever encountered, he didn't even mention the extended warranty, let alone try and sell it to me.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:33 AM

When I bought my 05, they asked if I wanted the extended warrenty.
I thought about for about a millisecond and said yes due to the fact that there are so many electronic stuff on the truck.
Just my HO.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big Blue, looking at your signature it doesn't look like you had anything factory left to warranty so I can see where you felt it may be a waste of money for a contract.

Drew 03, if your trans or rear diffs takes a dump, then you will be glad you did.

Contracts are a crap shoot.....you pay a ton for them, and if you never use it, you feel cheated. On the other hand.....if you do have a major malfunction you'll be glad you bought it.

Personally I contract any vehicle I get to the fullest extent. I also recommend going with the Chrysler Service Contract. Much less BS involved and be sure to shop around. The price IS negotiable!!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 PM

Many warrantys are calculated by the Bell Curve. Companys test a product to failure and graph it out and the apex of the curve is where the extended coverage goes, period. So in a sense you are paying for nothing as they have already proven where the failure point is on average and you arent covered past that. Warrantys are in many cases more profitable than the product sale, hence the pressure sales on them Since the most expensive part of these trucks is covered by Cummins you are really only insuring your self against the trans (how many diff problems have you heard of in these trucks?) for major components so I think its smart to play the odds as do the warranty companys. If you put the money the warranty costs in the bank for repairs that may be needed untill said warranty expires most people would have money left over. Just my $.02