Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwick
do our trucks comes with plugs to keep everything warm from factory because i cant seem to find one
I doubt a Texas truck came with one . On the new CTD's they really aren't needed . I did a lot of hauling to the Northeast with my '04 and it always started right up in the coldest weather .
Old 11-27-2006, 04:38 AM
Muted User

Cant say I live in a place where I need any of this stuff, but I recall when I was working on testing the thermostat, my dad recommended I just use a towel over the front of everything.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwick
do our trucks comes with plugs to keep everything warm from factory because i cant seem to find one
They all came stock with block heaters but starting in '03 Dodge didn't supply the cord and plug, have to buy it extra.

All of the CTDs will start without plugging in by cycling the grid heaters more than once but it definitely cuts into the life of the engine with very cold starts.

The main company that makes the insert type cold fronts is Lund.
http://www.truckstuffusa.com/colfrongrilc1.html

Running the inserts in combination with removing the fan works great for me during the cold months.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 AM

were is the plug i was just wondering i havent seen it
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Cabela's like Merrillr4, and it also comes with a bug screen that uses the same snaps.
I like it.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
They all came stock with block heaters but starting in '03 Dodge didn't supply the cord and plug, have to buy it extra.

All of the CTDs will start without plugging in by cycling the grid heaters more than once but it definitely cuts into the life of the engine with very cold starts.
Canadian trucks have them from the factory. I dont know what part of sunny Montana you are in, but I am just to the north, and no, all of the CTD's will not start just by cycling the grids.....at -40 parked outside overnight, not a chance. In fact they get pretty hard to start after -20C unless you are running full synthetic oil.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Longhorn, I'll admit I've never started my truck at less than -25F (-32C) without plugging in but have done it many times at that temp.
Three cycles of the grids and it starts but runs very poorly and will smoke out a square mile. Couldn't be good for the engine and isn't something I'd recommend doing.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

the exhaust brakes all assist in warm up too. they automatically come on when coolant temp is below 170*, to aid in warm up. with my e-brake and fast idle combined, it warms up really fast.
i have had to plug in the past couple of nights, really cold for here is low +20's.

I dont know how you fellas do it when it is -25*. Brrrr
Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
i have had to plug in the past couple of nights, really cold for here is low +20's.

I dont know how you fellas do it when it is -25*. Brrrr
My rule of thumb is to plug in for one hour for every 10 degrees below freezing, so 20 above 1 hour and 25 below a min of 6 anything colder I plug in for the whole night. Sometimes it does get down to 60-70 below but I draw the line around -45, everything become brittle at these temps an lower. I have seen all sorts of stuff break off. Tires will freeze with flat spots and take a few miles to warm up enough to smoth out. Oh and it can take a bit befote you can shift. You have to be patient, drive slow and let the gear boxes and bearings warm up a few miles.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Longhorn, I'll admit I've never started my truck at less than -25F (-32C) without plugging in but have done it many times at that temp.
Three cycles of the grids and it starts but runs very poorly and will smoke out a square mile. Couldn't be good for the engine and isn't something I'd recommend doing.
At a hotel once, had to try in similar temps, but boy that was ALL that it would do. I think even a degree cooler and I would have been out of luck, and yes I agree with you, very hard on the truck. We are normally quite mild here, but -37C this morning plus wind. Not nice, but we are supposed to be above freezing by Thursday. Take care and stay warm!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM

come on guys it did get down to 28 degrees last night and in the morning it does take a long time for the warm air to get going. personaly i dont like sitting for the 15 minute ride to work waiting for the air to warm up
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Ak Tall paul ,do you just run straight antifreeze or what?Ive been in some spots where it was -50 and I was worried,but 60 plus sounds scary
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 PM

I've never had any problems with 50/50 mix. I'm sure it gets pretty slushy at those colder temps. Have had a couple batteries crack over the years. So now I remove them, and bring them in if the rig is going to set long.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:21 PM

how about those battery warmers? i bought two, just plug em in - helps with starting big time even if your not plugged in[block heater]
Old 12-02-2006, 12:59 AM

read my sig....I was refering to equipment parked for the winter.

Quick Reply: Cold weather