General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather

I'm looking for a cheap way to assist my truck in warming up. i've heard of using cardboard. what are you guys doing?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:46 AM

I bought mine on line from Cabelas. I only spent about 45 dollars and it makes a HUGE difference in the warm up time. I would suggest getting one!!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 PM

I have used an old pizza box.
Works very well!
just cut out a hole in the center for the clutch fan, and you will be alright.
Try plugging it in at night so it is nice and warm in the morning.

Wheelo
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will that Cabela's front fit my sport? i found them on thier site.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 PM

I bought mine from Alaska tent and tarp. It's closer in design to a radiator blanket. It snaps to the crossmember in front of the radiator, and then hooks at the bottom to the bumper mounts. If fully blocks airflow through your radiator when completely deployed.

It is equipped with a zipper-opening to expose the tranny cooler if you have an auto. To vary the airflow, just unsnap the edges and roll it back a bit.

The advantage of this style is that the air leaks between the hood/grill and bumper plus all of the openings in the lower bumper do not affect the air-daming ability. On an external-mounted winter front, you still let a significant amount of air into the space in front of the radiator, and you have to mount it to your grille (drill/velcro, whatever).
$56.
Alaska Tent and Tarp also sells the external type. They have pictures on their site.

I agree that these things help your warm-up time. They will also keep YOU warm when running up the road in sub-zero weather.

Use or get a hi-idle. That helps mornings too.

http://www.alaskatent.com
Old 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Will that Cabela's front fit my sport? i found them on thier site.
It will work on a sport model. The front uses "stick a studs" and they actually work pretty good.

Originally Posted by abbeyinc
I bought mine from Alaska tent and tarp. It's closer in design to a radiator blanket. It snaps to the crossmember in front of the radiator, and then hooks at the bottom to the bumper mounts. If fully blocks airflow through your radiator when completely deployed.

It is equipped with a zipper-opening to expose the tranny cooler if you have an auto. To vary the airflow, just unsnap the edges and roll it back a bit.

The advantage of this style is that the air leaks between the hood/grill and bumper plus all of the openings in the lower bumper do not affect the air-daming ability. On an external-mounted winter front, you still let a significant amount of air into the space in front of the radiator, and you have to mount it to your grille (drill/velcro, whatever).
$56.
Alaska Tent and Tarp also sells the external type. They have pictures on their site.

I agree that these things help your warm-up time. They will also keep YOU warm when running up the road in sub-zero weather.

Use or get a hi-idle. That helps mornings too.

http://www.alaskatent.com
Now I am interested in yours. Can we see some pictures of your truck please?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 PM

do the stick a studs leave any marks on the chrome finish?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have or know who makes the grill inserts for a sport? i think that a set of these painted to match my truck would look cool.
Hey dhughe were in balto you from i'm in kingsville.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dhughe2
do the stick a studs leave any marks on the chrome finish?

Actually, they dont, some have fallen off over time and there is no marks left on the chrome!!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 PM

do our trucks comes with plugs to keep everything warm from factory because i cant seem to find one
Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by merrillr4
It will work on a sport model. The front uses "stick a studs" and they actually work pretty good.

Now I am interested in yours. Can we see some pictures of your truck please?
-----------------
Here you go...if this upload worked.....
The advantages to this design, IMHO, are
1) I can run errands around Anchorage all day in the cold and my engine stays at operating temperature.
2) It wont fall off / get stolen / peel my grill's plasti-chrome / require holes to be drilled in my grille. You (or the shop that sells it) will have to mount the snaps to the crossmember in front of the radiator. The self-tapping drill-in snaps are neato and pretty fast.

No offense to the exterior-mount fellas, but you cannot get full cold air protection with a grill-mount or insert type. But they look neat.

Attached Thumbnails Cold weather-winter-front-small-.jpg  

Last edited by abbeyinc; 11-26-2006 at 10:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-26-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by abbeyinc
-----------------
Here you go...if this upload worked.....
The advantages to this design, IMHO, are
1) I can run errands around Anchorage all day in the cold and my engine stays at operating temperature.
2) It wont fall off / get stolen / peel my grill's plasti-chrome / require holes to be drilled in my grille. You (or the shop that sells it) will have to mount the snaps to the crossmember in front of the radiator. The self-tapping drill-in snaps are neato and pretty fast.

No offense to the exterior-mount fellas, but you cannot get full cold air protection with a grill-mount or insert type. But they look neat.

I like how it is on the inside of the truck. I now wonder how much it would cost to ship that from Alaska!!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM

You know, probably not too much. AK Tent&Tarp would USPS it to you I bet. Shipping is a BIG DEAL up here... I bet less than $7 for Priority. It'd fit in a flat-rate box I think.
If they want more, let me know and I will fetch it and mail it for ya.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwick
do our trucks comes with plugs to keep everything warm from factory because i cant seem to find one
Ours do up here. I have no idea if yours do down there. The block heater, if equipped, is located in the passenger side of the block, immediately behind the oil filter. The end of the cord is usually clipped behind the grill on the passenger side- right beside the headlight.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 AM

yup, mine is zactly like he says

Quick Reply: Cold weather