Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

chevy or ford?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the v8 diesel sound does sound cool, but i still like the sound of my ctd that sounds like a semi haha. personally if i could have a new ford with a ctd that would be my ulitamate truck, good looks, comfort and the power of the ctd. awesome...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 985dually
I should have kept my 2000 7.3, motor wise its better than the 06 6.0 I have right now, straight piped though you can't beat the sound of the 6.0.

I think many of us will beg to differ... I honestly hate the sound of the duramax and powerstroke. One sounds like its gasping for air and the other one sounds like its farting... I'd be ashamed if my truck sounded like that... atleast the duramax has the power and speed to make up for the gasping sound. Nothing sounds sweeter then the sound of an unrestricted Cummins through a stack or two.

Brand new, I hate the body styling on both ford or chevy... so I'd base it solely on the engine and I'd take a duramax over a powerstroke. I'm not an old man or that picky and want/need all kinds of fancy interiors... actually I prefer the Dodge interiors for the plain and simple approach. Time and time again my truck reminds me I'm still driving a truck, and thats a good thing. All those yuppies who just had to have a car like ride in a truck have absolutely RUINED 1500s because they all have IFS now... You want a car like ride? Go buy a **** car. Nine times out of ten those kinds of people hardly use their truck like a truck.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:51 PM

First off, I think you guys are being a little too hard on the IFS. While I agree that a straight axle is nice and has been proven reliable and tough as all get out for decades, the IFS will stand up to a lot of abuse and provide a nice ride while doing it.

I don't like the interior of Fords at all and wouldn't buy either a 6.0 or 6.4. The 7.3 isn't a top choice either, but at least they got most of the bugs worked out by the late 90's. I like the exterior of the Ford, and Ford has a good following, so it must be a half decent truck.

The Duramax is a very good running engine that has a lot of potential to about 600 hp or so. Much more than that and I imagine the costs skyrocket to keep it together. How many of us run more than 600 hp on the street anyway? I hate the exterior of the newest body style, and am not the biggest fan of the 03-05 front ends. The allison is a good tranny, but I like shifting gears. Since the six speed manual is no longer available, I wouldn't buy a new one.

I guess I would like an 06 Duramax with the 6 speed. Good looks, comfort and a seemingly reliable truck that is capable of being a really good running truck.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since i'm haveing to be in the truck buying market due to the loss of my 03. I'm having to buy another dodge for the main and only reason is that it has the ctd because of the way i work them. Had thought of the duramax but was talked out of it buy a mechanic that knows how i work them. i would never consider a ford due to the poor mileage and problems with the 6.0. the ifs of the chevy has never been an issue and i haul a lot of weight. i had rented an 08 chevy and put 23k on it in 5 months and liked the truck but i dont think the motor would last under hard work as long as the ctd would
Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM

I would get the Duramax. Better milage.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 PM

I will never own a Ford - EVER.

But I wouldn't feel right driving a DuraMax over a Cummins though...

I like GM...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 PM

I'd go with the Chevy hands down! ABF - Anything but Ford!!! I've been abused, threatened and mistreated by Ford dealers over my wife's '84 T-bird and my own Ford Ranger. I won't even consider owning a Ford thanks to that experience. In 1990 I got me a used '88 Chevy and never looked back. It was hands down the most dependable and hardest working vehicle I ever owned. Now I have a '06 CTD - it's got some big shoes to fill and so far it's doing a fine job!

Ford? Are you kidding me. They threatened to saddle me with a Ford when my '98 Dakota was due for replacement at work - sure, free ride and all - I told them I'd rather walk. They got me an '03 Dakota
Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM

I want to like the 6.4, cool turbo setup and seems to make good power in stock form (I want keep my tow-vehicle engine stock), but I want to see a few years of good ownership data before I would choose it over the DMax.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd pick the Ford. I believe it to be a tough, well built truck and have always had better luck with Fords than GMs in the past. They have built up enough good points with me that, even though the 6.0 cost them some, they are still ahead. I don't care to be pampered to the level that GM insists on anyway. They don't even trust their customers to be able to turn on their own headlights.

I am disappointed in both Ford and GM too as they seem to be phasing out manual transmissions in their trucks. I hope they will reconsider this, and I hope Dodge doesn't take that route because my first choice will always be a vehicle with a manual transmission.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

6.4 is a turd, believe me I wanted to like it my first truck was a ford but at work the truck that catches on fire and 60% run eratic is the new 6.4. I have one customer who bought an 07 6.0 had problems traded for an 08 6.4 we put a plow on and some baja lights, he had an oil leak fixed at 2000 miles at 4500 on his way back from florida with his family the motor caught fire. And the truck burnt to the ground Ford is buying it back but not after he had to bring a lawyer into it to stop the runaround and being treated like he was benieth someone. so now he is buyng a dmax a GOOD choice, like it or not it is a good motor, yeah yeah a Cummins ie my cummins can run a half million miles but the dmax is easily made hot rod with oh my god fewer tranny woes, Ifs most people spend 99% on the road and those who dont sure dont rack up half a million miles, I am just saying its a fine choice, froma dodge guy.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
I'd pick the Ford. I believe it to be a tough, well built truck and have always had better luck with Fords than GMs in the past. They have built up enough good points with me that, even though the 6.0 cost them some, they are still ahead. I don't care to be pampered to the level that GM insists on anyway. They don't even trust their customers to be able to turn on their own headlights.
Ford has auto headlights too..................

You really feel 6.0 PSD is ahead?

A little off topic, but to go the other way in this thread; I love my dmax more than anything but wouldnt hesitate at all to drive a CTD. Ill be the first to admit I kinda grin when I get into my firned's second gen 24v and he starts it up. You could not pay me a million dollars to drive a powerstroke.

ben
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by duratothemax
Ford has auto headlights too..................

You really feel 6.0 PSD is ahead?

At least Ford lets you turn the autolamps off if you choose to.

No, my point was that Ford has built up many good points, in my eyes, over the years. The 6.0 has given them some bad points, but to me they still have more good points than bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Well, have the old 7.3 in my 02, really like the truck. Had a 95 7.3 stroker that was awesome, worked it, still wish I had it. Ford had some issues with the 6.0, the 6.4's have been better than the release of the 6.0, but still have issues, mileage being a biggie. I don't mind the Duramax, but the fender wells and front sag of the truck kill me. Right now, like the looks of the Ford but trust the Duramax more.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chev or Ford?

Well Dodge and cumzin has made sure that this truck was bad from the first day (NEW). Excessive toe-in for the factory. Burning coolant 3 1/2 L in the first 22,000 km's. 40 visits to fix the engine. Has been leaking (53 block) for the last 15 months. So not going to waste any more money on this! Finished paying off the bills for the truck finally.

Ford's 6.4 I don't like the V-8 design. Too many parts bolted to parts.All places to leak. The design of injecting fuel into a cylinder to burn the PM is a bad one to me. I hear that the DPF is good for just over 120,000 miles. At the $4000.00 I hear it is "ouch".Thats an extra $1000 dollars a year to have to set aside! The truck seems to be a good, but the inside colour is ahhhhh....... Not my choice. The gear ratios are good for towing but not for driving ( which is what I need).Fuel prices going up the way they say that they will! $2.25 / L. Thats $10.21 an Imp Gal.

The Duramax is also a V-8 EEERRRRR! They have there fuel injection to burn the PM out in the exhaust pipe. Don't know how long there system is supposed to last for? I have only been looking at the F-450 and the 4500 Top Kick. They both have the tooo deep gearing 4.3's. So it will probably have to be the Top Kick. Haven't driven one yet but they can't be as rough as the Class 8 truck that I operate sometimes! A rubber blocker with 650,000 km's on it. boy does it have power going up a 10% grade! Yessssss

Now if I could get the F-650 with the Cat ( even if it does have the hydraulic actuation). I could have an I-6 again.One of Internationals engines is I-6. Or even the 4500 with the 7.8 L Isuizu engine. The I-6's are the way to go but oh well.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
At least Ford lets you turn the autolamps off if you choose to..
Well so can I, I just turn the **** from the auto position to "off".

Quick Reply: chevy or ford?