General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Caterpillar??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Uhhh, no.
I don't know what all the hype is with the Cat, other than being very expensive to maintain.

MikeyB
Same here. I have always wondered about that. I think maybe it's because people can then say that have a Cat in the truck that they have a cat front license plate on.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by neveragain
With th money that I have wasted on this junk ( cume from the factory) to have bought a goooooood truck and engine that would give the power that it would have, would have been soooooooo wonderful.

I don't care what an injector pump might cause because the way that I drive and treat a vehicle it would last almost for ever. It wouldn't be something that I would mind to have to buy a goood piece of equipment.
Why are you here?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
With the money that I have had to spend on my truck, other than normal fluid changes ,normal maintenance, and my chosen Mods, .......The Wifey and I could have had a nice dinner and a show. (two Lift Pumps : one @ $89 the second cost $139)
Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
With the money that I have had to spend on my truck, other than normal fluid changes ,normal maintenance, and my chosen Mods, .......The Wifey and I could have had a nice dinner and a movie. (two Lift Pumps : one @ $89 the second cost $139)

So this guy had a bad experience. I think at this point, he is finding joy in coming here and telling us on a daily basis how dumb we are for buying Dodge / Cummins and actually liking it.

Neveragain, I will continue to buy them over and over and over. Doesn't that drive you nuts?!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boy are you are lucky to have one that works

I am here to try to get this junk that I bought from the dollarship fixed so I can get some sod to buy it.

But before that I am going to get my money out of the dollarship that raked me for there their stupidity and incompence.

I didn't spend $42,000 plus for junk form the factory.
I didn't spend $15,000 plus for stupidity and incompentency form cryslurrrrr and cumins re& re boys. That can't diagnos the simpliest of things.
I wasted over 52,000 km's to get service that I never recieved.
I wasted many years tring to get this junk fixed what you people take for granted on how your trucks run and have power mine has very little.
For one job I put on 32,000 km's for this and others they have penilized me when most of you didn't have yours I was asking about the steering osocillating back and forth between 10 oclock and 2 oclock.

Their responce was nothing found at this time it was waaaaaay out of spec's ( they missed it in the warranty period so that was $5,000 plus out of my pocket because of their stupidity IS THAT RIGHT?????) why go to the dollarships at all with knowledge like this at all I should have taken it to Bills convenience and tire store for all the for he would have known more then the dollarship.
I will advertize for the dollarshops and it will alllllll be the truth.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:22 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just out of curiosty and not tryin to hijack this thread but have you at all looked into the lemon law?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I guess some have had less than stellar experiences with their vehicles, but it's like that with all brands.
With what you're saying....I'd be contacting an attorney experienced in Lemon-Law.

BTW I see you also didn't spend $0.00 to get the free Spell-Check software.

http://www.iespell.com/
Old 11-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neveragain......... in my little town of 30,000 ther's GOOD dealerships and BAD dealerships I don't know how the bad dealerships stay open but they some how seem to, for a little while anyway
Point is with ALL the vehicle manufactures there are good and bad dealers, doesn't matter the brand there's crooks and worse crooks and then there's the good ones! Have you contacted Daimler/Chrysler on your DISATISFACTION with the dealer you've been working with, might be worth a shot sometimes you just gotta scream at the ones that need to hear it, sorry to hear about your misfortune with the truck and dealer that you've encountered, surely not all dealers and CTD's are that way!

On another note in my experience in the automotive industry the manufactures sure seem to pump out the vehicles and let us be the guinnea pigs!! I'm not saying all models are that way but it sure seems every manfacture has their junk model that they're flooding the market without the R&D needed. It sure just seems "they" need to test their product a little better.

DISCLAIMER: In no way was the last comment in reference to ANY model of CTD!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Never Again you tell us that is junk but don't explain in detail the problems experienced with the obvious biased opinion, what are you comparing the power to and what you expected based on what. Second thing is all of this work performed on your JUNK is recorded on paper in the form of reciepts and warranty work orders which is evidence that Chrysler Canada tracks, now instead of being ignorant towards people here contact the rep for DC through yours or another dealer and explain in detail the problems. Gentlemen from the south Canada does not have legislation like the "lemon law" therefore solving these issues is a little more difficult but we do have the Better Business Bureau. I have read on another forum about somebody who was disappointed in his fuel milage towing weight, I believe we are seeing a pattern here-people buying a product based on opinions that are inflated. We love what we have(Dodge Cummins) but with out the practical experience it too would just be hype and when there are problems people quickly get bitter because of lack of experience and info (real life comparisons). CAT I said it before on this thread the 3306 and 3406 Cat engines are 2 of the most successful engines ever built and they both enjoy a reputation that goes with it but they have had there problem children just like Cummins (1145 Cat disposable engine, 555 Cummins, VT903 Cummins) I continually here about the high cost of CAT and it's parts but in the last few years the almighty Cummins has been a more costly engine to fix the ISX is a real jewell in that department. Comparing a 7000lb Dodge pickup CTD performance to a 7000 Series 5 ton GMC weighing 18,000lbs with a 3116 Cat is less than realistic or fair. Cat water pump yes more money and a problem but Cummins 855 valve sets are continuous$$$, head trouble, cold starts etc. Cummins is not infalable like the rest but when you drag 140,000 plus pounds around 3406 CAT just works harder and the drivability of my CTD in my Dodge pulling a load is very similar that is why I bought it. Powerstrokes and Duramax's have V8 disease everything happens at 2200+ rpm whereas my little CTD 5.9 will still suckhole and pull at 1500 rpm with close to full manifold pressure just like my Gold 3406 Cat-bottom end lugging power and total control throttle pedal feel. Cat tryed to sell Perkins as their little engine and yes there are Perkins lovers out there too but I can't stand the engine, my choice. Now show me the kit for putting a John Deere in my Chevy. PK
Old 11-20-2005, 03:01 PM

read neveragain's sig. He says 300k on the truck. He must like punishment if he kept the truck for that long. (300k and six years.)

I vote troll.......

And as Shovelhead stated: www.iespell.com.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 PM

well gents

The dollarships won't buy the truck because they don't know how to fix it.

What I have is an electrical arc in the electrical system. I have seen this
on an oscilloscope so there is noooooo lying about what the problem is. This is why I have asked for engineering help in the past and someone that can read Polish. The one gent said that it wasn't Polish but several European friends say it is. ??????? The dollarship has always led me tried to led me 180* from my problems to distract me HInton AB said it was an air leak problem so no help there either . NOOOOO help there as usual.

One GENT commented that I must be a trol ?????? NOOOOOO I received this from the factory this way and have been tring to get it fixed from NEW and they weren't able to diagnose the steering wheel going from 10 and 2 10 and 2 etc. so out of luck there $5000.00 out of warranty I still have their print out of the wheel alighnment machine to show someone Maybe he will make them pay ??????? The diesel tech said that 130 RWHP "was about right" out of a 235 hp engine. yah right

Another GENT here asked what I have for experiance and what I am basing it on, well the first diesel tractor was a FORD 3000 Super Dexta in June of 1970 and to date 47 other diesel engines from farm tractors to highway tractors Dozers, excavators ,graders etc so with over a MILLION KM's of driving I think that my experience is very good.

THIS engine never has been able to lug and if you don't run it at at least 1700 rpm it will buck.

That loaded super B chip truck could lug at 133,624 LBS had more lugging ability then mine empty .....

A gent commented about, it driving me nuts that they buy do-ges. This not so for What I wanted from NEW was to have a truck that was as advertised. Everyone else was able to drive, without BUCKING and have the 235 hp. Not be pushed out of an interection buy loaded welding trucks. MY first trips to the dollarship was phrased this way. IT MENT NOTHING TO THEM AND THEY WORKED HARD TO TRY TO CONVIENCE ME THAT IT WAS GOOOOOOD.

The alternator /batteries/grounds etc are good. I meggered the alt tested the doides and the capacitor was 15 micro farads.
What I can feel is a thump thump when I sit in the seat at idle. The engine revs from idle up but it doesn't produce more power. I have told the Prince George dollarship and Williams Lake dollarship BC Cumins in Surrey that the engine revs and screams like a jimmy but doesn't produce more power. This means little to them. When surrey put on the Break out box the engine it ran completely different I said listen the the engine he said it starts and I can't tell more then that I said listen to the sound of the engine He said that it starts and he couldn't tell more then that...... WELL there is cumins in surrey BC.....

I hAVE MORE INFO if someone needs more.
Thanks Ted.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

Have you presented your problems and disatisfaction to Daimler Chrysler themselves, not a dealership but the MOTHERSHIP Daimler Chrysler?

The squeaky wheel gets a greasin.

What kind of reaction do you expect from the DTR members this is a place for CTD owners who enjoy, mod, and love their CTD's Yeah sure CTD's can have their problems but what vehicle doesn't. Why don't you go to the Powersmoke or Duracrack forums and bash CTD's where it's more welcome.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:04 AM

Their reply

Their reply is that they are sorry for the inconvience, and only interested in warm fuzzys.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

I have unsubscribed from this bye bye!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Absolutely kills me when I see posts like this !!! Believe me I caught hell for buying a Dodge from all my GM & Ford buddies but who is laughing now ? Buddies Ford is eating glow plugs and other electrical items as well as leaf springs and don't forget the numerous fluid leaks !!! My p.o.s Dodge has 25,000 miles now with no probs at all except for a tearing weatherstrip ........... geez I better lemon law it !!! Personally not one thing I read on this board or others influences my buying decision in the least bit . Drove concrete mixers for almost a decade and tried them all CAT Detroit and Cummins which is the ONLY engine under the hoods of the largest ready -mix co's here in St. Louis . CATS are WAY $$$ for a pretty yellow paint job and the valve trains do not stand up to the engine braking demands of driving a heavy truck . Granted it is the driver responsibility to not overspeed them on a downgrade but the CATS just don't hold up like the Cummins . Just my opinion but I know what my next truck will be !!!

Quick Reply: Caterpillar??