Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Cab removal on new Superduty Fords

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
I have a pic of a cab off in my sig. The Ford Tech I know told me it didnt take him much time at all to do it.
14 hours shop time I believe.(from the book).
Old 03-30-2009, 05:05 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We taked about this once before. Imagine you need a new injector or have a drip at a hose or a whatever, and you have to pay 14 hours of shop time in addition to the repair!

What a design! I just can't believe people will buy crap like that!

The old Taurus was that way too, maybe still is, Ford says you have to drop the engine and transaxle to replace the power steering hose. Or how you have to cut and grind off welds to align them! Or the 3.8 head gasket fiasco. It's stuff like that that makes me want to say good by and good riddance if they go out of business. Don't get me started on the replacement hassle with the injection pump on Ford vans, the thin film ignition, or the "sticker on the dash" fuel tank repair, bla, bla bla....................

Is this the best they can do? Should we bail them out to get more of the same?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Erska
Oh god, that can't be true.

I'd like to know how they change head gaskets on these things.

Check it out!
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f.../photo_02.html

Looks like it might be easier to go in from below.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

I though Ford had the good since not to ask for bail out money......
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You're right, they didn't. I was generalizing or making the point in case they change their mind. And they will have to change their mind if the other auto makers throw out the labor contracts in bankruptcy.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Gotcha.......
Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen some pics where someone forgot to tighten the cab bolts down. When going off road the cab came off the frame. I thought the removal of the cab wasn't juts for 08+ models, but for the 6.0's as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

My buddy is a ford mech. Says him and another tech usually have the cab off in 45 minutes. They have done allot of them, course you need a lift for the cab.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Muted User

That makes sense. Charge 14 hrs labor for a job that takes 45 minutes. No wonder this country is in the sh!tter.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM

You would have thought they could have hinged it at the front bumper and done some quick disconnects for the electrical stuff and pull pins at the back of the cab??

Naw, something like that is just too easy, can't make any money that way.

. . . . and people wonder why those long-term Ford owners have gone to something else???? I know, I was one of them, and there is a lot more to the story about why we have gone elsewhere.

CD
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

yep cab has to be removed to install a downpipe. im pretty sure all i had was a hammer and a pair of pliers and i got mine installed in a few minutes i'll stick with my cummins for now
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by RichM752
That makes sense. Charge 14 hrs labor for a job that takes 45 minutes. No wonder this country is in the sh!tter.
Well if it's a customer pay job that's good for the tech, it will make up for the reaming he gets by doing warranty on other stuff. If the 14 hours is Ford warranty book time then that again is good for the tech cause they have not figured out they can do it so quick yet and dropped labor times. When GM started tanking my buddies I used to work with at Cadillac said GM wash slashing warranty times like it was going out of style. Any chance we could get a "good" paying warranty job as opposed to the work on it for two days and get paid 5 hours job and we were happy.

Now back on subject. I looked at a ford ps and swore I saw those little quick disconnects under the cab linking the frame. You know, the little clasps like on suit cases or like on your cordless drill cases?!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Muted User

I've heard it's not as big of a deal as people think. After you do one or 2 I'm sure you can do it in WAY less than the 14hrs. I know Kyle at Crankitupdiesel can have a Dmax drive in the shop and he can have both the engine and transmission on a pallet in 2hrs by himself. I'm sure if you look that up the "shop time" isn't anywhere near 2hrs. That being said I'm sure a guy that works on Fords all the time can remove the cab as fast as the average owner can replace injectors in a Cummins.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Book time on a cab removal and install is 4 hours not 14. I believe he was just kidding. If we think about this, taking the cab off is a brilliant way of gaining total, damage free access regardless of the brand of truck. Wouldn't that make changing the #6 injector easy on our 3rd gens?

Tim
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's not a bad job...IF you have the tools to make it easy...with out a lift and AC recovery set-up it's gonna be a PITA..
if your doing it in your driveway thats gonna SUCK.....if your doing it in a Ford dealer shop I'm sure it's gravy for a guy who has do it before.
either way I would rather work on a cummins ANYDAY over ANY brand V engine.

Quick Reply: Cab removal on new Superduty Fords