General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Broken Wheel, Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Wheel, Help!!!

O.K. Guys,
This is how my vacation to AZ ended 50 miles from home! I was hauling my cabover camper, and my 18' car hauler trailer with some construction equipment on it. Concrete forms, power trowel, rebar caps, ect. The truck dropped onto the brake drum grinding the crap out of it, I found the wheel the next day about 50 yards off the Interstate. Luckly my wife and I are OK, the trurck survived beautifully, I had to replace the drum (obviously), I did grind the backing plate, but I was able to grind it and get the drum back on and I still need to replace the brake shoes, but they were good enough to make it the 50 miles home the next day. These wheels are MB Motoring wheels, I bought them in AZ about a year and a half ago. Supposidly they are 3500# rated, the guy at Discount told me they have a higher load rating than my factory steel wheels!Oh yeah, all 8 9/16" studs were sheered off in the exact same spot, and all were clean new breaks?????

You can go here and check out the pics. any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3054
Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't access the pics without joining. Your title says broken wheel. Describe the damage to the wheel. If damage was restricted to broken lugs I guess it is an installation or fitment problem. Better replace all 32 lugs, review proper fit, and torque properly.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wheels? Did anybody say anything about retorquing the wheels? Most aluminum wheels need to be retorqued quite often. The wheel probably loostened just slightly and it caused the studs to snap off.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the lug nuts on an aluminum wheel come loose, 4 out of 5 studs broke by the time I got pulled over, only 1 very loose lug nut holding it on,,,barely.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that on my 2nd gen on the front tire. I was washing it before a long road trip and found I was missing a lug nut so i started checking the rest of them and found 2 more loose ones. I headed straight to the tire shop 1/2 hour before they closed and when they put it on the lift and started to remove the rest of the lug nuts there was only 2 that where actualy tite. The other 6 where either broke off or finished breaking as they where losening them. The 2 that where still good where side by side so they wouldent have held much longer. Those stupid studs are expensive. If memory serves me correctly they are around $8 each plus something like $4 each for new lug nuts. Truck wound up staying at the tire shop over the long weekend and we took the wifes car.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to a friends 93 hauling his overhead. Had nothing to do with retourqing the wheels. Its from the deep cone lugs ,crappy design and wheel companies/salesman that lie about strength. All 8 studs sheered off. The exiting wheel destroyed the side of his truck and near killed the folks in the car next to him. Next time your lookin at wheels check the ratings on back. Ive seen supposed HD spokers for a 8 lug truck that said max load 2800lbs.