General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Broken Glow Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Broken Glow Plug Removal

I know, I know, you Cummins die hards are asking "what's a glow plug?"...

I got a great deal on my dad's 2005 Jeep KY diesel after he hit a deer. A new radiator and intercooler and I've been driving it until it was time for a timing belt (I know, again you ask "what's a timing belt?").

So, while I had the front end apart (went ahead and pulled the rad and AC since the AC wasn't charged and grill already MIA due to earlier deer collision) to replace the timing belt and water pump I figured I'd go ahead and fix a few things that were not functioning correctly like the block heater (melted prong at connector) and glow plugs (original and getting a code). Then block off the EGR and remove the FCV butterfly.

Story here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88046

Thanks to the help of those on the Lost Jeep forum I did everything with confidence and all went mostly as expected until I got to the glow plugs. I dosed them regularly with various penetrating oils over the weeks I've had the Jeep down. First one snapped right off just above the threads. So I had the top and ceramics out but the shell and tip were still in the head... #2, 3 & 4 came right out no problem.

So I bought a kit off ebay for 8 & 10mm plugs exactly like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +glow+plug
But it came with no instructions and no identification of parts. Probably should have sent it back but with the video I figured I could figure it out. I took one of the other old plugs and cut it off right where the problem one broke so I'd know just what I was dealing with and the dimensions.

So far I've only been able to use the 10X1mm tap (that I could have bought separately in town) to restore the threads after buying a 11X32" bit since I couldn't figure out how to successfully use either of their step bits. Now I'm supposed to drill and tap the shell for the threaded puller that will pull the shell out through the hole. But there is not a correct size bit and if there was the tap isn't long enough to use.

Now, I'm not knocking the kit - it may not be for this little diesel or I just may not understand how to properly use it.

But the fact remains that I have this metal shell of a glow plug lodged in my head that I want out so I can finally get this heap back on the road. It is drilled out to the thread bottom and rethreaded successfully. Any suggestions? I've read/watched where some tap it on into the chamber and then fish it out the injector with a magnet but I'm not sure if there's enough room in this engine to do that?

I'd rather not pull the head, for several reasons: 1 time 2. money (I hate fixing something and not putting it back better but I really can't afford studs now) 3. Undoing all the work I just did . Anybody ever been in this situation? I've read plenty of threads where the tip is left in the chamber but not the lower metal housing too...

Many thanks,
Old 09-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Maybe try a forum where glowplugs are used, like powerstroke or duramax sites, or a general diesel mechanic site......