General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anyone running 6" or 7" Straight Pipe Single Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone running 6" or 7" Straight Pipe Single Exhaust ?

Anyone running 6" or 7" Straight Pipe Single Exhaust on their CTD ?

If so, how well does it sound ??
Old 01-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to ask...where would you have room to run a pipe that large??? i don't know how people fit 5", let alone larger.

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM

i dont know but bully dog makes a 6" i am not sure about the 7 inch i aint never heard of one that big on a truck like this
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM

I've seen 'stove pipe' on semi's but never small pickups... would be very interesting if you could fill them suckers with good ole #2
Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 PM

Question

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
I have to ask...where would you have room to run a pipe that large??? i don't know how people fit 5", let alone larger.

Jim
Dunno.

Haven't had my truck long enough to even look under it that long. STILL in the shop...... (Read my Oil Leak thread....)

Anyways, my point in asking this question is this.

I want my truck to sound like my local FDs Tanker truck!! That **** sounds like the baddest azssed truck on the planet!!

I'm going to make a trip to the Fire Station someday and ask to look over that rig. I'm gonna measure the exhaust diameter and see what type muffler (if any) is on that rig. I'll take some pics for you'all as well while I'm there.

There is something REAL unique about the Tanker's exhaust sound. It isn't anything like I've ever heard on a Big Rig. Maybe because it has a single exhaust that exits before the rear wheel has something to do with it. ?? I'm certain that the increased exhaust flow from the bigger engine has ALOT to do with it as well.

Any other ideas ?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 PM

A 7" Are you serious??

Do you know HOW BIG A 7" EXHAUST WOULD BE??

A 5" will easily support 650 hp...are you planning to be beyond that??

Someone with a 7" exhaust is very likely compensating for other "shortcomings", JMO.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 PM

If it sounds like your Cummins with a straight pipe...running at 10 grand...and 10 times as loud, its probably a Detroit. many municipal vehicles, such as fire trucks and city buses run Detroits. There is no way you could duplicate that sound with a Cummins because they are 2 stroke diesels.

Even if it isn't a Detroit, you still couldn't duplicate it because you just don't push enough air with our size Cummins. I would like my truck to sound more like a big Cummins, but I know it never will...but I'll try to get as close as I can with my (hopefully) coming 4" downpipe and straight pipe.

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 PM

hey im not gonna discourage u from doing whatever u wanna try and do...i did a home made 5 " stack setup on mine and i love it its 4 inches to the square tubing and then 5" from there...

try whatever u want and then post pics and report to us to let us know how things sound

bets of luck

Drew
Old 01-07-2006, 08:16 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
There is no way you could duplicate that sound with a Cummins because they are 2 stroke diesels.
A (2) stroke Diesel ?????

Here's a Copy of the Engine Specs on a Crimson Fire Pumper engine....

ENGINE

A Detroit Diesel Series 60 12.7 liter, turbocharged, charge air cooled engine shall be provided.

TYPE:

In-Line six (6) cylinder, 4 cycle

HORSEPOWER:

440 @ 1800 rpm

TORQUE:

1550 lb.ft. @ 1200 rpm

DISPLACEMENT:

778 cu.in
Wanna read the COMPLETE Spec Sheet on a Crimson Pumper ??

This EXTREMELY Detailed!!

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/...cification.rtf
Old 01-07-2006, 02:30 PM

I have full 5" from the downpipe back and it's a tight squeeze between the transmission, frame and skidplate/transmission bracket. I think 6 inch would fit but it'd be extremely tight but I doubt you could get a 7 inch pipe in that space. If you're looking for loud, most straight pipes will accomplish that... my 5" is louder and deeper than the 4" systems I've heard. If you're going for the look of sewer pipe hanging out of the back of your truck, you could simply run 4" exhaust and put on a huge exhaust tip.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Question

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
If you're looking for loud, most straight pipes will accomplish that... my 5" is louder and deeper than the 4" systems I've heard.
I do NOT want loud. What I am after is a DEEP TONE to the exhaust note.

My truck currently has a single 4" straight pipe exiting BEHIND the rear wheel. Sounds pretty good actually, but I STILL want a deeper tone from it.

I'm ponder a single 5" or 6" exhaust exiting BEFORE the rear wheel. Maybe with a 18" long 7" tip!

Would a 5" or 6" single exhaust be MUFFLED ??

Would a Resonator work better than a muffler in this case ??
Old 01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

I'm sure it'll be loud as all get-out and resonate like crazy... but I'm tempted to try it!

my old truck w/ 5" straight pipe sounded like a friggin' 12 liter dump truck compared to a truck w/ 4" straight...

I can only imagine that 6" will be even louder

7" is going overboard, but I think I'm going to build a 6" system for my new truck (might have to put a 7" tip on it )
Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Katmandu
I do NOT want loud. What I am after is a DEEP TONE to the exhaust note.

My truck currently has a single 4" straight pipe exiting BEHIND the rear wheel. Sounds pretty good actually, but I STILL want a deeper tone from it.

I'm ponder a single 5" or 6" exhaust exiting BEFORE the rear wheel. Maybe with a 18" long 7" tip!

Would a 5" or 6" single exhaust be MUFFLED ??

Would a Resonator work better than a muffler in this case ??
a pre-tire exhaust will be louder than something that exits behind the wheel and a 5" will be deeper than a 4" but it will also be louder.... I have no experience with a resonator or muffler because I have no need for them. I think you're in need of a bigger tip; I've heard that will add some depth to the exhaust note but not increase the volume.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:53 PM

I think that fire truck has an 8V92 or a 8V71 Detroit in it , if its the same one they had a few years ago, The 92s , 71s & 53s were 2 stroke. The 60s series are 4 ,
Old 01-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sandspur
I think that fire truck has an 8V92 or a 8V71 Detroit in it , if its the same one they had a few years ago, The 92s , 71s & 53s were 2 stroke. The 60s series are 4 ,
I'll have to make the trip over to the FD here someday and find out for sure.

That Pumper roars up/down a main street (1 block from my house) quit frequently. I always think when I hear it, "**** that thing sounds good!" It's gotta Jake-Brake on it too!

Quick Reply: Anyone running 6" or 7" Straight Pipe Single Exhaust ?