Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Any experance with JD 332 Garden tractor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experance with JD 332 Garden tractor

Hello all, just considering a JD tractor, model is a 332, with a 16 hp Yanmar 3-cyl diesel engine. The unit I'm looking at has around 1500 hours and is priced around $2500. It's a 1991 model, with the 50" deck.

I'm thinking about this due to my considerable dislike for most of the newer yard tractors out there. I've been using a new Craftsman with a 54" deck and a 26 hp (!) Kohler engine that's a friends. It's not fun knowing that, wth the PTO engaged, you cannot go into reverse or the engine will die! Seems like we're trying too hard to protect ourselves from ourselves! Plus as I understand it, those older Deeres were a very durable, simple unit to work with. What are your thoughts? Would I be better off with a simpler, more plentiful (but just about as expensive) 318?

Here's a picture of the one I'm considering...
Attached Thumbnails Any experance with JD 332 Garden tractor-332_01.jpg  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a older 317 (86 I think), have had a newer (2005) GTX 245. The older JD's are really overbuilt machines. I would prefer the diesel power if I had the option. Offer them around $1800 to start with.

318 is a nice unit too, the newer (90's) will have a liquid cooled Kawasaki.

Obviously, by this point you've realized the HUGE difference between the "old" John Deeres and the junk you can now buy at Home Cheapo.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
$2500!!!!!!!!! that's about $500 more than I paid for a brand new 332 in the late '80s
It's still going strong with over 2000 hours except the mower deck rusted away a few years ago. My JD dealer says the 300 series is the best Deere ever made.
Now only use it with the rototiller attachment, prefer a zero turn for mowing the lawn.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My pop-in-law has a 81 or 83 316...STILL. Its been down for the past year or so. All the parts are in the shop to fix it. Its amazing to me that #1 He is able to get parts and #2 it will still function as designed once fixed. I have a 92 Bolens 125 LT that I cannot get many parts for any more. Sad. Its a great mower also. Once the mow deck dies, its done. We are also currently buying a new house. The sellers are including/selling a 100 Series John Deere which is basically the Home Depot/MTD built mower. At least it has an override for the mowing backwards thing. My Kubota BX1500 will be handing the majority of the mowing duties however.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As we know though, the diesel option is OUTRAGEOUS on all equipment. Look at our trucks, $5 g's including the fact that the truck is LESS a "hemi"?

Same with tractors, can't compare a gasser to a oil burner, not in torque or longevity.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Awsome Tractors, I would be suspisious of the hr.meters on them they tend to not work. See if the meter works. Also see who owned it before, still a very nice tractor.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
$2500!!!!!!!!! that's about $500 more than I paid for a brand new 332 in the late '80s
It's still going strong with over 2000 hours except the mower deck rusted away a few years ago. My JD dealer says the 300 series is the best Deere ever made.
Now only use it with the rototiller attachment, prefer a zero turn for mowing the lawn.
Yep, i believe it too! Although what was 2500 then is more like 4500 now, and I don't think the newest diesel Garden Tractor Deere is only 4500 anymore. If you look at a site such as machine finder (Deere dealer's site) or tractor house, you'll find that's about average for this unit. Someone mentioned 1800, that's the exact starting number I was thinking of. I guess when you compare what 2500 will buy you in the new market vs the used, it really makes sense.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM

I've got a JD 430, which is a 20hp Yanmar Diesel. this is the largest Garden Tractor Deere ever built. Mine has 1400 hrs and runs like new. A buddy of mine that used to work at the dealer told me they'd get in a 430 once in a while that a commercial lawn care guy would have. The tractor wasn't even recognizable it was beat so bad. They would have 6000 hours + on them, but when you'd turn the key, it would fire right up! I paid $2800 last year for my 430 with 60" commercial deck. I love it! I had a 420 before, which had an Onan 2 cyl gas (same as a 318 except 20hp instead of 18). Good tractor but parts are getting hard to come buy & VERY $$$$$$$. I broke a tooth on the cam gear and Deere didn't have any. Went to Onan and they didn't either. Said it would take 3 months to get one made. Piston rigns were over $120 for a set. Cam bearing was $35. Even though a 318 is a good tractor, I'd be preparted to repower with a Honda or Kohler 2 cyl ($2600 +). The Kawasaki's are not that great. My cousin had one in a 445 that puked a rod with 300 hours on it. The rod, piston, bearings and gaskets were alot more than a whole new engine, so he spent $3500 on a new engine from Deere, which was the only place that handles that model engine by Kaw. Besides, I used to mow my yard 2-3 times with my 420 Onan before fueling up. With my 430 I can go minimum of 10 times without filling up. I'd buy that 332 in a heartbeat! They still use that same basic Yanmar in the new Deere's but the rest of the tractor is junk (new ones). If you take care of that 332 it will run darn near forever. As a sidenote, it uses glowplugs. Deere wants $30+ a piece for them. Kubota uses the exact same plug (built by NGK) for about $7 each. I would say offer them $2200 for the tractor. You can't buy them real cheap anymore, and everyone knows that the older diesels are the toughest L&G tractos they built. The prices are holding really steady on them right now, even going up a little for clean ones.

Mike
Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SolarExpress
My pop-in-law has a 81 or 83 316...STILL. Its been down for the past year or so. All the parts are in the shop to fix it. Its amazing to me that #1 He is able to get parts and #2 it will still function as designed once fixed. I have a 92 Bolens 125 LT that I cannot get many parts for any more. Sad. Its a great mower also. Once the mow deck dies, its done.
There was a Bolens/Ariens dealer in my hometown growing up. I spent many an afternoon in there as a young boy picking around the dirty, smokey little shop (owned by a 3-pack a day smoker) looking at all the Bolens units. I never could wrap my head around them, I always thought they were just a little too wierd. Now I wish I could get a hold of one of these, but as you say - they are nearly gone.

I passed by a little sheet-metal "Bolens by MTD" tractor in Home Depot last week. I thought back to that smokey little shop - long since closed and abandoned, and really had a reflective moment on how things change - and will never be the same again.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Bolens is a Gardenway Bolens, a couple of years before they were sold to MTD. Shorlty there after the Bolens and Troy-Built looked identical. And I got a better look at that tractor at the new property. Its a Sabre by John Deere, which was most likely built by MTD. My 16 year old Bolens looks better than the 5-6 year old sabre.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Good source of info on JD tractors and others. Especially good source for re-powering.
http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/

Sabre was made by John Deere, but not at Horicon, WI. It was developed to compete with the cheap stuff by a stamped frame instead of cast, etc.
After JD picked up the Homelite brand they really cheaped out the line. I am very carefull on buying any namebrand items from a box store.

I didn't have the camera with me to get this on film. This weekend, I saw a v-twin lawn tractor that was unique. The engine was the rear 2 cylinders from a small block Chevy. I asked the guy if it was the left overs from a Buick V-6, but he didn't get the jest.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Wow...given the prices of those 318's at the site you listed, i ought to go get that 332 rather soon...I better watch, too easy to spend money...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Wow that little tractor sure is cute. But here is a real TRACTOR lol
Attached Thumbnails Any experance with JD 332 Garden tractor-hpim1364.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Yep - all I need is a mower, and perhaps a small blade to clear snow.

Don't need a real tractor. But that Kubota is a nice one...!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM

I've got a 332 with the 50" deck and PowerFlow bagger. Mine has about 850 hours on it, and I bought it 10 years ago with 500 hours. It's been a really reliable tractor for me and I'd definitely recommend it. I mow about 1.5 acres and it's been very fuel efficient. Putting the deck on and off is kind of a pain due to JD's mule drive belt setup, but it only takes about 10 minutes once you've done it a few times. It's important when owning a 332 to keep the radiator fins free of debris or it will overheat. I clean out the fins with compressed air after every mowing.

Quick Reply: Any experance with JD 332 Garden tractor