Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Another Dodge, Chevy or Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Dodge, Chevy or Ford?

I had my dodge bought back because of the tranny. Now I am gun shy on which truck to buy. I loved my truck, the turning radius, the way it drove. I know that Ford did have problems with their 6 liter, is it fixed? Is Chevy any good? Thoughts and facts appreciated!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:25 PM

Re:Another Dodge, Chevy or Ford?

I owned a 2002 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 and it was a good vehicle. The biggest problem I had with it was it drank antifreeze like there was no tomorrow...the dealer said it had injector cup seal leak which was common (at least then). They had it a few days and then gave it back saying they had replaced the seals. It started drinking antifreeze three weeks later and that was when I decided I wanted to get the truck I originally should have gotten.

Don't get me wrong, they're good trucks and I've got a friend who swears by it. To each their own. For me, it was a Dodge and I've had 15,000 trouble free miles from the engine and the 48RE.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:25 PM

Don't know much about the Dmax, but it seems that Ford is still having problems with their 6L PSD. Infact, with their most recent flash, the pilot injection has been turned off.

Check out The Diesel Stop for more info.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an '04 with the handshaker... ;D

Dmax is nice, but they are all just holding their breath till the injectors let go. First they thought it was the first batch of injectors being bad, then it was a filtration issue. Now it seems its a matter of when, not how... Thats my info.. Plus I really don't like the cab on the Chev, too confined with that center island (more like a small country). Plus in their engineering wisdom, the passenger, me, gets about .5 cubic feet of leg room with the heater hanging to the floor. > I do like the Allison.

Don't know much about the Frod, just that everyone I know that HAD one, got rid of it.. Draw your own conclusions on that one..

J-eh
Old 11-11-2003, 05:06 PM

I have heard that the Allison Transmission is very good,that is why I am considering it this time. The first time I was shopping I liked what I found doing research on the Dodge, but after the bad tranny in my dodge, that is why I am looking around again. Still problems with the Ford, guess I wont really look at that one then..still listening for more input, thanks for the response so quickly.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:05 PM

Without a doubt, the Allison tranny is the best on the market and would be the only reason I'd go back to a Duramax. It was very stable, reliable and easy to do a tranny filter change on it, as it hangs straight down from the tranny next to the engine oil filter. The only "issue" I ever had was with the chattering and noises it made, but was told by many owners and service personnel that the "chatter" was the trademark of an Allison, and was nothing to be concerned about. Great tranny and it was nice having a temp guage from the factory that actually indicated realtime temp...wish Dodge would figure that out. I can understand on a 6-speed why one wouldn't want it but on an automatic I would think it would be standard.

In fact, my perfect truck would have the Cummins mated up to an Allison. That would be one bulletproof package!!

One other thing to consider on the Duramax, take a look at where they placed the fuel filter - above the right front wheel well. Then think about changing that thing if it ever gelled up and you were out in the elements trying to do it...not good at all. I changed it once under the maintenance schedule and ended up doing as others told me - take off the right front wheel well liner to get to the filter. What a huge pain as I do all my own service work and don't have a problem in the world with anything on the Cummins or 48RE.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 AM

I had a 02' Chevy Duramax/Allison 2500 Ext. 2WD.
I owned it for about a year.
It was a really great truck. It was a sad day when I sold it.
The Allison Tranny shifts smooth and fast. Loved the tow/haul mode, especially for braking...it's like a manual with the compression braking, well, kinda...
The resale value on the Chev was great too. I thought it would be tough to resell a 2WD, but I sold it about a week after I put it out on the market, and I really didn't lose much from the purchase price.
Only reason why I sold it was, after last years brutal winter, I realized a 2WD daily driver aint gonna cut it.

Would've considered the New Chevs, but they are butt ugly IMO.
So, after months of researching and all the good things I've heard and read about the Cummins, I ordered an 04' 3500 SRW 6speed.
I ordered back in 10/13, and it's ETA is 11/27 (Turkey Day)....
Can't wait for the new rig! I'll do a comparison when I drive it around for a while...
Good luck.
Boss
Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 AM

If you aren't looking for an automatic transmission, I'd say get a Dodge with the 6spd manual. It's really not that bad to drive, even in traffic. Even when towing, the engine adds enough fuel to keep the engine from stalling, so that you can use just the clutch to get things rolling.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:20 AM

Was your 03 an HO or Standard Output. If it was the SO, an 04 HO with the new 48 Auto maybe a good option. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gonna be a Cummins with a ten speed Road Ranger and air ride. I just don't know which frame it'll be mounted on!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:26 PM

I had a standard output. I was towing a 25' Ocean Boat that was approaching 10k and when I towed it felt like there was nothing behind me, even going up hills. Even though it was a SO, it pulled outstanding. I have not tried a HO, but I am sure there is a tremendous difference! The Chevy does not sound too bad either from the comments on this site, except that it is ugly. I do like the looks of the Dodge better, but looks and .25 cents will bet you a cup of coffee. I dont want a 6 speed because in Los Angeles, there is too much traffic and I talk on my phone alot while driving, and sometimes drinking coffee while talking! Thanks for your input!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 PM

The reason I suggested the HO is because it would come with the new/ updated "48" automatic trans that is supposed to be better than the previos "47" however I am not very up on the automatic trans.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:03 PM

Well I just bought a 2004 Chevy Duramax. WOW!!!! I have had a bombed Dodge, and for the money I spent, I was just a little over where I am now. Plus the Allison is awesome. Tow/haul is a #1 awesome option for those who haul, or need to slow without useing the brakes as much. The interior is much nicer with all the options you can have anything. Dual climate is awesome. That small Island is an added bonus if you travel much. Great place for snacks. Plenty of cubby hole for gauges and other monitors.

Fuel mileage is great, and the tranny service is the best. As far as fuel filter goes, mine is updated and is very easy to reach and change. Get a pre filter also.

For the bang for your buck, a Dmax is the way to go. Plug and play power is very reasonable. The ally will handle a quad 135 and much more before you limp the tranny.

Now with this said, I loved my cummins, but they dont make a true crew cab or have the nice interior for the same money. Cummins cant help what DC puts around it. MY 02 worth.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6.6 V-8

Welcome aboard and thank you for your valuable input on the Duramax engine/ Chevrolet platform. We always need someone closer to give the proper information to us all.

Please keep us posted on the developments as I know I am interested in how the market is changing with all the makes/models.

J-eh

Quick Reply: Another Dodge, Chevy or Ford?