Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Amsoil Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil Q?

I'm not a fan of the stuff but I'm curious. If the stuff is so good why isn't it available retail? What's with the pyramid scheme like sales structure. I even have a regular customer who was an ex amsoil seller who refered to the pyramid scheme comment. Just curious.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dodge dealer here in Petersburg sells it and yes I am a dealer too.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My local auto parts store (not a National Chain store) stocks AMSOIL also.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a "preferred customer", but there are several dealers around that sell it. I just like the 20% discount. It's already paid for itself in the savings. So I guess the answer it is available retail, you've just got to find the authorized dealer.

So if your not a "fan" then whats wrong with it? Do you think it is inferior oil? Or just do not like the marketing style?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a bit leary of the marketing style, thats for sure.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 AM

NAPA sells it here....
Old 01-30-2004, 10:44 AM

Amsoil in itself is a engineered synthetic (PAO) oil, the Multi Level Marketing "scheme" allows individuals who normally would NOT be in business to sell a product and make a little profit while sheltering some of their personal incomes from income tax. Some people actually make it their only business when they have enough sponsered retailers below them. Amsoil in return has lower corporate costs with less overhead tied up in buildings, management and employees. Take a look at any business and it is in effect a "pyramid" with ultimitely one basic boss at the very top.
Amsoil the oil is top quality engineered with constantly changing specs to meet the needs of the the mechanical products it is designed for. I myself have witnessed many hours of documented maintenance logs on different equipment showing improved performance and longevity. I don't always agree with their tech line advisors on certain oils as per application ie: motor oil in NV5600. I do sell oil to people who ask for it at my cost, I also sign them as dealers if they want for their convenience and savings. I do not agree with the MLM system when people are involved only for the money and do not believe in the technology.
Just like anything try it for what it is a true PAO IV synthetic and if you don't like who you bought it from based on MLM profiteering find someone in the club- DTR-who will support your interests (CTD's, performance,diesels) and supply at their cost. These people are giving you the best for the best price and sharing honest interests with you, I'm pretty sure this reply will generate some flack from the true "Dealers" but then I only support the big oil companies at the pump because I have to. PK
Old 01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

I usually don't sell enough to bother with but all I do make is enough to pay for my dealership every year. I don't push the product but if someone asks me, I will answer their question and sell them the product if they want it. I make a very good living where I am so I too offer the buyers a deal. The main reason I came to be a dealer is that there was no one in my area handling it that I could depend on to get me the stuff when I needed it. I don't really care about their marketing scam if you want to call it that, I care about the quality of the product and have been using their products for over 20 years now.

(pushes the box back under the desk)
Old 01-30-2004, 11:38 AM

I agree with Dieseldude no profit here just reliabilty and convenience in a quality product with new technology I am willing to pay for. The other PAO manufacturers have stuff just as good however here in the frozen north I have to go chase it vs delivered to the door. PK
Old 01-30-2004, 11:58 AM

I was going to run Mobil1 products or Redline in the the truck, but I could get Amsoil for less money - delivered. Much more convenient for me and I'm happy with the quality of product.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM

Mobil 1 has 75% of the synthetic lube market, the rest is divided among the other manufacturers. So you can see why a small, speciality blender like Amsoil uses the multi-level marketing approach to sell it's product.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:30 PM

when changing to amsoil in the 2001-3500 4x4 rears, what weight and how much to add after draining diff ? What about limmited slip requirments ?
Drilled. tapped and ready for juice! STY
Old 01-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Banned

You know I am not a fan of there sales practices, I have never liked pyramid sales strategies, seems backward and shaky. There is a local hardware store here that sells the stuff. I buy Thur my company and get it cheaper then if I was a dealer, so I have no need to sell the stuff. I do use it in all our vehicles, ATVs, lawn mowers, generators, gas welders, ect. It does work very well, I use to use it in a Turbocharged dragster, and it kept the engine very clean and in great shape. Recently I removed the turbo from my Dodge to change the housing. The bearings were in great shape, no pounding or forcing the housing apart, it just separated like it was new. Usually you get a "coking" of the turbo bearings, were they continue to spin after the engine is shut down, and the oil pressure is zero. But they looked fine, and you would never know the turbo was five years old.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:49 PM

rangerst...to answer your question.

You could use either 75-90 or 75-140 weight. The question being how much and how often do you tow? I don't think many people need the 140. But if you haul often and lots of weight than this is the oil for you. I know some guys that drive class 8 trucks and use amsoil series 2000 75-90 in there rear ends and love it. It even has some supported claims to add mpg.

If you're using a stock diff cover, 5 quarts should be plenty. 4 may be enough, it's hard to get all the old oil out. The specs show it holds 4.7 L or 10.2 pints. 5 quarts should cover you.

Both series 2000's amoils (75-140 and 75-90) have additives to allow limited slip clutches to operate. Try filling the axle and doing 5-6 figure 8's in an empty parking lot and seeing how your axle does. If it is chattery at all, amsoil also sells a modifier to add to the lube, add small amounts and try again. Put just enough in to solve your chatter, too much may limit the limiting of the limited slip axle! hehe
Old 01-30-2004, 06:01 PM

Three auto parts stores here sells Amsoil,Advanced,Murrays and PepBoys.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Q?